START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
@wrxtasy, some suggested updates to your original poost, including mentioning of the new Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 and also change the phrase "Intel hardware" to Intel x86-64 computer" in order to make that a little more clear, as well as some other small stuff, all changes marked with italic text.

Q. Fastest - Appliance like - pure - Kodi boxes booting straight into LibreELEC Kodi or OSMC Kodi
(Highly recommended for those needing Kodi only)
  • Intel x86-64 computer, including the Chromebox, (with GeForce GTX 960 or later Nvidia graphics card solution if need 4K too).
  • ASUS Chromebox

Q. I like to do a bit of DIY and don't mind getting my hands a little bit dirty and learning something in the process ?
(all devices running LibreELEC Kodi, unless noted)
  • Intel x86-64 computer
  • ASUS Chromebox

Q. What about devices for up to 4K HEVC (H.265) video playback over HDMI 2.0 to my non HDR capable 4K TV ?
NOTE: 99% of devices running the Android OS cannot Automatically Resolution Switch from 1080p to 4K like you will get with other non-Android Kodi devices.
Demanding potential NVIDIA Shield owners would be advised to read this upscaling thread
Sharper video is produced when upscaling SD/HD video to 4K using a 4K TV's upscaling Hardware, instead of the media players.
  • Any x86-64 computer with with a GeForce GTX 960 or later Nvidia graphics card solution, preferably GeForce GT 1030 or better.
  • Intel x86-64 computer with Apollo Lake or Kaby Lake CPU with integrated graphics (users still need to check for Displayport > HDMI 2.0 adapter issues)

Q. I need HDR10 and 4K video playback support ?
NOTE: AMLogic OSMC or LibreELEC Kodi HDR video output does not work properly - yet - getting close.
Have you got all your HDR10 hardware ducks in a row ?
Cut through the Marketing B.S. and read what is required and where to get properly encoded HDR content in this post.
  • The DIY Intel - with Windows 10 and GeForce GTX 960 or later Nvidia graphics card solution, preferably GeForce GT 1030 or better.

Q. I don't care about price, I want versatile Audio & Video playback in a fast, powerful Kodi media player ?
  • Intel x86-64 computer with with a GeForce GTX 960 or later Nvidia graphics card solution, preferably GeForce GT 1030 or better.
  • Intel I series NUC's & Apple Macs (Apollo Lake or Kaby Lake CPU with integrated graphics - beware HDMI 2.0 adapter issues)

Q. I need full HD Audio passthrough support including Multichannel (>2.0) PCM output of 16/24bit/192kHz FLAC ?
(NOTE: all devices using an Android OS have 16bit Multichannel 48/96kHz PCM Audio output limitations)
Read NVIDIA Shield - Multichannel Hi-Res audio limitations for extra information.
** Be aware HDMI only supports 24bit audio NOT 32bit **
  • Intel x86-64 computers, inc. Macs running Windows.(24bit/192kHz except Apollo/Kaby Lake)

Q. I need a device with proper video deinterlacing for Over the Air (OTA) TV streaming from my HD Homerun or PVR server ?
NOTE: Major Deinterlacing issues with some Krypton PVR Clients have been widely reported on ALL Android devices (click)
Ordered from best deinterlacing picture output quality to the worst. In reality the Intel, AMLogic and RPi's will be the most reliable.
  • Intel x86-64 computers

Q. I need a Kodi box that can play 1080p or 4K DRM copy protected video streams such as Netflix, HBO etc. ?
NOTE: 2.0 Audio only from DD+ DRM streaming Apps running on Android TV platforms, unless you have a DD+ connected Audio receiver.
1080p/4K Android Netflix is only possible on media players boxes that are Netflix Approved.
  • Intel x86-64 computers with GeForce GT 1030 or later Nvidia graphics card solution running Win10, using either dedicated Apps or a Web Browser

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated July 2017) - by RockerC - 2017-07-28, 09:10
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28