START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)
(2019-04-24, 12:13)BigMixer Wrote:
(2019-04-22, 18:12)BigMixer Wrote: I am looking for something to use with a 4k TV in my bedroom. I use Emby for Kodi. I already have to other HTPCs that I use around the house. I use Aeon MQ skins on the HTPCs, but I could make Confluence or another skin work if need be. I have a Ethernet connection nearby, I won't use WiFi.
So my requirements are:
  1. 1. Kodi
  2. 2. Emby for Kodi
  3. 3. Ethernet
  4. 4. 4k
  5. 5. $$$ - Kind of looking at Amazon Firestick 4k and ethernet adapter right now.
What device is going to match the functionality of the HTPC - (i5 2400k) used only for Kodi? Or should I try to find a cheap sff PC and a GPU?

I really appreciate the help.

I may have been missed in the shuffle. Does anyone have any advice? I am also looking at the Odroid N2

The smoothest Kodi Skins performance will be found on Intel/AMD Kodi Leia because of it's superior Python coded Addon/Skins code crunching capabilities vs virtually anything else.
If you have Addons/Skins with lots of Animations, transitions, sliding panels, graphic rich elements etc and want the same silky smooth performance then stick with Intel.

There are many devices that can do 4K - but once you get into 4K HDR then things get a little more complicated, especially for Intel.

Plug n Play the easiest 4K Kodi devices are the optimised Linux Kodi Leia based ones, with the Vero 4K+ running Kodi leading the pack.

Best bang for the buck, with minor SD card (Class 10 U1) flashing DIY - still is the AMLogic S912's like the Tanix TX92, H96 Pro+ etc. that have included GigaE running CoreELEC Kodi Leia, combined with something like a USB Mini Dongle receiver, Wireless Keyboard remote. You leave it on 24/7.
Infra Red is rubbish on these devices.

The ODROID N2 is pretty new. I would not call it stable yet for CoreELEC Kodi Leia usage. It will get there.
It's still missing a bunch of 4K bug busting and auto bit depth and colourspace switching.
Multichannel LPCM audio is missing as well.

If you want Emby database support with 4K and Intel type performance, seriously look at the Apple TV 4K and run the heavily Kodi modded MrMC App on it:
https://wiki.mrmc.tv/index.php/Emby

It's a little black powerhouse of a media player with silky smooth performance, really all that is missing is lossless Atmos audio passthrough.
Read the review https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=335219

Messages In This Thread
The right box for me - by tyem - 2016-01-13, 15:29
Jesus Box - by kellyvb - 2016-03-04, 20:18
Thanks for the Help! - by jmc15john - 2016-11-09, 16:44
Jarvis crashes and wipes - by gotthis2000 - 2017-01-10, 22:14
RE: Jarvis crashes and wipes - by nickr - 2017-01-10, 22:58
T95Z Plus Android TV Box - by gooner1971 - 2017-03-17, 13:04
RE: START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated March 2019) - by wrxtasy - 2019-04-25, 03:52
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box (updated Dec 2020)28