Android HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)
Hello!

I have hard times on my Q10 Pro to get proper DVD playback with KODI 16.1. Here are my experiences so far:

As KODI doesn't support auto frequency switching on the Q10 Pro, I first installed this auto fps patch for KODI: link So I have correct fps switching for 25fps (50Hz) and 30 fps (60Hz) DVD's in KODI. I have tried to play a 25fps interlaced DVD iso witch has a 2.35 : 1 aspect ratio, so I get those black bars on the bottom and top of the screen. The TV switched automatic to 50Hz as I started the playback with KODI internal Player. But something is just doesn't right with those bars during playback: they have strange and constant flickering and vibrating, perceptible on the edge of the "original picture". It is very noticeable and unpleasant to the eyes. It was constant within the whole video. Sad

I have tried the same DVD iso with HiMedia Player (tho' it only plays back 25fps at 25Hz and 30fps at 30Hz) and the black bars were OK again. Just as in WMP and MPCHC on my Windows PC.

I have also noticed, that the picture quality was much better both with HiMedia Player and on PC as it was with KODI. In KOID the picture color was more "washed up" and lifeless.

Also it seamed that the fact of switching correctly from 25 to 50Hz doesn't make much impact with KODI regarding the picture quality neither... The edges were still ruff and I still detected the "comb effect" sometimes (on moving objects mostly), just as it had no correct deinterlacing. This all also compared to Windows Media players, which have correct deinterlacing. With HiMedia Player (playing on 25Hz) I get almost the same result in PQ regarding the "interlaced comb" effect as it was in KODI.

I have read some others complains regarding DVD playback in this Thread starting with Post: #1224. It just doesn't seam that the effect (defect) with the black bars would be normal?! Also maybe there are some other tweaks within KODI i may have to try to get better overall picture quality, and better deinterlacing?!

I would like to play back DVDs as natively and as good PQ as possible, therefore I was hoping that this auto fps patch would help in this, but I just rather seamed a bit strange and dangerous, since I don't know what or why would cause these anomalies. I assume that is because the poor (or badly working) software deinterlacing method in KODI. Confused

Regarding the info I have collected since, KODI doesn't support correct (hardware) deinterlacing for interlaced DVD playback on the Q10 Pro (and on many other Android Boxes neither) only some "lamer" software deinterlacing, and I may never get enough satisfying result regarding the PQ using KODI at all. Is there a "magic" setting somewhere I should try, or any other KODI forks to get this fixed?! Or I just have to forget it totally and switch to another Player (MX Player maybe)?!

Thanks you for the reply! (And for any possible fix or suggestion!)

Messages In This Thread
HD Audio Problems with Q10 Pro - by BigPines - 2016-04-18, 18:34
[Key map] Remote Control PATCH - by looun - 2016-09-20, 00:38
Egreat A10: real or fake? - by boblo - 2016-09-30, 03:34
RE: HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio) - by Mount81 - 2017-08-29, 20:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)8