Which OS would you recommend for a laptop
So, I've been using Windows for about 20 years on various PCs and laptops. Finally, after this morning's 1 hour 40 minute update (missed my train to work, etc, etc) and the only things it has done are lose my network shares, add a store icon to the taskbar, and start prompting me to use their f*****g one drive cloud that I've tried a million times to remove. I have had apple TV boxes, and currently have a Fire TV box that works great, but I imagine like a lot of people I run scared of messing with the pre-installed operating system. So, it takes a f**k-up of monumental proportions to get me to ask:

Can anyone "impartially" recommend an operating system that is not massively over-bloated with sh*t I don't need or want (recipes, stock prices, etc), will operate a browser without crashing every third page it visits, will connect to my Synology NAS and won't forget how to do each it each time I log-in (my Fire TV can do it - why can't Windows?), and of course be able to play my media with Kodi. I already use things like Libre0ffice so I'm in no way hooked into microsoft, other than their handcuff relationship with the laptop manufacturers.

Secondly, and more importantly could you recommend a site that takes the non-programming lay-person through how to install a new operating system safely without completely killing my laptop and preferably without losing documents, music, photos, or spending 3 days backing up to CDs and re-loading. I know this is really dumb, but I don't even know if I can load an android operating system onto this laptop or if that is very hardware dependent.

Oh, and by the way - I don't want to try f*****g Office for 30 days !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (can't find an emoji with steam coming out of ears) and sorry if this is the wrong place to post.

Messages In This Thread
Which OS would you recommend for a laptop - by WelshPaul - 2016-09-14, 10:26
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which OS would you recommend for a laptop0