v17 Auto de-interlacing (in PVR streams) does not always work
Trac ticket: http://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/16958

Following the discussion here: Revised codec thread - I still have a question.

I have a few TV channels on my satellite feed (running tvheadend) that 'need' de-interlacing. For example, I watch a certain channel with those news tickers (the rolling text in the bottom part of the screen, with news or stock prices etc.), and it's immediately noticeable that the stream is not good. The rolling text is jagged, making it pretty unintelligible. The Video menu gives me either the option to have de-interlacing Auto or Off. I have it set to Auto, but apparently that's not working in this case. If I set it to Off, nothing changes, but when I set it back to Auto, the video immediately becomes clear and texts are readable.

So, somewhere Kodi doesn't autodetect whether the video is interlaced. I'll admit it often works just fine (including these particular channels), but sometimes it doesn't.

It might be that tvheadend, the HTS addon, my satellite LNB, the satellite tuner (or its drivers) or whatever is in the wrong here, sending out some wrong flags in the video stream, but from a user perspective, I think Kodi should be able to do this better. Obviously it's perfectly capable of de-interlacing the stream, and often the detection works just fine, but it just doesn't always know when to do so.

Do other people experience the same phenomenon?
Is there anything I can do about this?
If you guys agree this is something that should be fixed, do you need more info or something?

I'm currently running Windows 10 x64 with a Krypton nightly from a few days ago. The tvheadend version is the latest nightly. I'll get some debug logs and perhaps a screenshot later tonight.
Unfortunately my last foray into programming was while QuickBasic was still new so I can't help you there. Wink

Messages In This Thread
Auto de-interlacing (in PVR streams) does not always work - by willemd - 2016-09-16, 12:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto de-interlacing (in PVR streams) does not always work1