v17 Pulling hair out w/ 4K and I'm already bald!
Ok all, I've been googling for a while now, searching through various Kodi posts and even dabbled over at Reddit. I'm at a loss here.

I have this Samsung 4K TV hooked up to this GTX 1050 video card passing through this Sony AVR

I have the TV set to 1080p@60hz for the Kodi GUI because Kodi forums said to not have it run natively at 4K because you can't downscale to 1080p, you can only go up! I was watching a video last night via Kodi in what I thought was 4K. Apparently, it was not. I guess you have to enable Adjust Refresh rate to match video on start / stop in Kodi (from what I've read via Google) to get the TV to switch to the 4K resolution of the video file, I never had that enabled.
Once I did enable it, I was greeted with nothing but dropped frames, audio out-of-sync, stuttering and all sort of other wonderful things.

The video card is HDMI 2.0 complaint. I am running 4K HDMI cables to all the devices. The HDMI cable is connected into HDMI 3 which is ARC. I've also just recently discovered that you have to manually set the AVR (located on page 32) of the User Manual to enhanced HDMI to get video formats such as 4K/60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4K/60p 4:2:0 10 bit. I changed that to no avail. I'm still getting stuttering and frame drops.

I've hit the O key while watching a 4K video file and sometimes it will say "Hardware decode" and other times it will say "Software decode". When it's on "Software Decode", my CPU is @ 100% and my CPU fan is screaming for help. When it's using "Hardware Decode", my CPU is about 5%.

I'm out of stuff to check here because there are too many freaking variables and I've been tinkering, changing, stuff on the TV, stuff in Kodi, etc...etc..etc. I don't know where I started or where I left off now.
I'm fried, confused, and at a loss here. If anyone need any other information, feel free to ask, I'll send you whatever you need.

If I load up the TV's "Smart Apps" and launch Netflix or YouTube and watch 4K content, I don't have an issue. So it's got to be some setting or something in Kodi, right?!?

I just dropped some serious $$$ and time getting to 4K, I'd like to be able to actually use it.

Messages In This Thread
Pulling hair out w/ 4K and I'm already bald! - by Usafle - 2017-01-27, 17:53
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Pulling hair out w/ 4K and I'm already bald!0