Win Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC
(2017-07-27, 12:04)nsnhd Wrote: We need 4K @60fps on 4K displays benchmarks, maybe HDR too, which I haven't seen anywhere.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s...ost1810727

"Observations: The GT 1030 can play all of the videos above perfectly and with only about 20% CPU utilization on an ancient 8 year old 2 core 3Ghz wolfdale PC. This lowest-end (so far) Pascal GPU furthermore has the lowest TDP in the 10x series, which means that no old PC system has to worry that their old power supply can support the graphics card. The 2 GB video memory seems perfectly adequate to play the most demanding 4k videos, while *simultaneously* downscaling to whatever resolution the current PC monitor has. This seems to me to demonstrate that this GPU is ideally suited to the millions of old PC systems, and all of the HTPC systems, that would like to upgrade their systems to allow playback of what I think will be the universal video encoding standard. Unlike some other posters in this forum, I would heartily recommend this GPU. At $69 (ZOTAC GT 1030) I don't think the card has any drawbacks at all. "

IMHO we are at a stage today that you don't really need benchmarks when NVIDIA state that their Pascal GP108 GPU core used in their GeForce GT 1030 graphics processor unit support hardware accelerated video decoding in the specifications. If it did not then it would be their reputation ruined. As noted by the guy who did the benchmark linked above, all videos he tested (which included 4K HDR videos) "with only about 20% CPU utilization on an ancient 8 year old 2 core 3Ghz". So I think that for video decoding purposes you can safely buy Nvidia cards today, and simply trust in what the specification says on the box, without benchmarks with the knowledge that Nvidia knows what they are doing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC - by RockerC - 2017-07-27, 12:33
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC2