Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware
(2019-02-14, 10:45)outcave Wrote: Hi @wrxtasy 

It's time to update the first post of this thread because now the Nvidia Shield TV is able to do the colorspace autoswitch!

Since Nvidia Shield Firmware version 7.2.2 the colorspace switch is implemented. Nvidia talk about a "beta feature" but it works based on my tests. This feature, that is called "Colorimetry", is not enabled by default and should be enabled by Enable Developers options: Go to Settings > About > Build > Click 7 times on build to become a developer. Then, go to Settings > Developer Options > Colorimetry (set toggle to ON) > restart Nvidia Shield for changes to take effect.

I set Nvidia Shield to Rec. 709 (BT.709) as default colorspace (because, in my opinion, most contents are in Rec. 709) and when I go put in play a Rec. 2020 (BT.2020) content (default colorspace of HDR) the Shield will go to switch to Rec. 2020 (and my TV recognize and accept the "new" Rec. 2020 signal).
These are the results of my test:
Kodi 18: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
PLEX: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
Netflix: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
Amazon Video: OK, works! (Play Rec. 709 content -> no switch; Play Rec. 2020 content -> switch to Rec.2020)
Youtube: Not OK, it does not work well. As we know Youtube HDR content are non compatible with Nvidia Shield because Nvidia Shield does not HW decode VP9 Profile 2 codec. But the problem here is when you go to put in play a 4K (2160p) SDR video (so with BT.709 colorspace also confirmed in the "stats for nerds" of Youtube) the Shield will go to switch from BT.709 to BT.2020. So, it seems, the Nvidia Shield for 2160p Youtube videos will go always to switch from  Rec. 709 to Rec. 2020. Anyway the color results is good (not whashed) so, may be, in that case Nvidia Shield will got to convert Rec. 709 to Rec. 2020.
Anyway, since HDR Youtube video cannot be played because Nvidia Shield does not HW decode VP9 Profile 2 codec, in my opinion this is a very minor limitation of the new colorspace switch feature.

Bye!

Does this mean that my TV will use hardware upscalers for 720p/1080p content? Information from another thread:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware - by adamkex - 2019-04-13, 15:04
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto frame rate switching & dynamic range matching - 4K (HDR10) capable Hardware5