Solved Issue with MySQL & large music libraries resulting in duplicate artists
Duplicated artists returned when trying to fetch artists via JSON API in batches is not an issue I am specifically familiar with or I would have fxed it already, and I don't think it has been reported before,  but I can immediately imagine why that is happening especially with a MySQL database. Also I do vaguely remember something similar happening with songs, also MySQL related, that was fixed.

Both Github and Trac are very hard to search for bugs (and fixes),  so no surprize it was unfruitful for you, and I am not going to bother. Having this discussion on thr forum will at least produce something everyone can find afterwards, and one reason why I am happy for users to use the forum for bug reporting. It lacks tracking and management or course, but then reports can sit on Trac forever since there is no manual triage procedure and not enough active "owners" of any component.

I think the issue is because many of the db queries historically do not have ORDER BY statements. Since all sorting is done internally to Kodi on  lists, not in db itself, the original authors didn't bother. This is fine with SQLite it order by default, but strictly order is undefined and MySQL can give problems by returning the results in an unexpected order.

The only work around for v17 is to use a SQLite database and abandon client server. But I will look into a solution for v18. I am currently reworking the way JSON fetches music data to make it faster, that includes sorting at the db sor the issue will vanish.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Issue with MySQL & large music libraries resulting in duplicate artists - by DaveBlake - 2018-06-20, 21:20
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Issue with MySQL & large music libraries resulting in duplicate artists0