v18 Custom Nodes - specifically how can I make my music video collection accessible
@DaveBlake Thanks again for the kind reply.

Are you saying, that video navigation works differently from music video navigation works differently from music navigation?
That is a very odd design decision to say the least...
I chose the music example in my original post as that is something most people can easily relate to and understand the concept. I assumed that it would work the same for music videos.

Yes I have added my music videos to my library. And it has been a pain as for some odd reason music video meta tags (mkv and mp4) aren't read from the files... another odd design decision as far I'm concerned. I had to write a script to add .nfo files for each and every one of them. Fortunately I use MediaMonkey as my media management system and that let's me easily create such scripts.

My issue is, that going from genre to song/video with ten-thousand-odd videos in a handful of genres isn't really an option as that makes an average of 2000 videos to scroll through to find what I want... and selecting groups of vids and adding them to a "now playing" playlist as in "play all of these" isn't going to work well either.

Since obviously I need to be talking music video details (because they are handled differently from music / videos) I'll go into the details:
I have the following "genres":
PV/MV (read "promotional video" or "music video"; mostly mp4-format with h.264 - MPEG-4 AVC video and AAC audio full meta-tags according to mp4 container definition)
Live (for concerts, usually containing lots of chapters; mostly mkv-container with h.264 - MPEG-4 AVC video and A.52=AC3 audio, full meta-tags and chapters as defined by the Matroska open standard)
Making of (mostly mkv-container with h.264 - MPEG-4 AVC video and A.52=AC3 audio, full meta-tags and chapters as defined by the Matroska open standard)
Twitter Clips (mostly mp4 format h.264 - MPEG-4 AVC video and AAC audio full meta-tags according to mp4 container definition)
YouTube Clips (odd formats but mostly mp4 as well; meta-tags according to mp4 container definition where possible)
(yes, I know that these are not strictly genres, but I use the "genre" meta tag as that what fits best and is available across the different formats)

There are around 130-140 artists in my collection.
There are music videos in my collection going back about 20 years

I can't say what the average number of albums is per artist, but considering that usually one album will contain 2-4 videos (at least PV/MV and Making of, sometimes different versions of the PV/MV or a live track), I'd estimate there are around 3000 albums in my collection.
(BTW: my music library is MUCH larger and I have no trouble navigating it with what Sonos provides out of the box, even though that is not customisable)

So, what is Kodis approach to navigate a music video library like this? There must be some way to get multi-level filtering/navigation, no?

I'd be happy for ANY kind of solution...

P.S.: Since we are at it, is there a way to get rid of the "random artist", "random music video" and "unseen music video" sections? I really don't care for those...

Messages In This Thread
RE: Custom Menu Structures - by Karellen - 2019-02-13, 21:06
RE: Custom Menu Structures - by DaveBlake - 2019-02-15, 15:35
RE: Custom Menu Structures - by Nedorus - 2019-02-16, 19:04
RE: Custom Menu Structures - by DaveBlake - 2019-02-16, 20:21
RE: Custom Menu Structures - by Nedorus - 2019-02-18, 11:03
RE: Custom Menu Structures - by DaveBlake - 2019-02-18, 15:19
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom Nodes - specifically how can I make my music video collection accessible0