Win Hardware upgrade recommendations (including "stand pat")
I'm thinking about upgrading our current ecosystem and curious what others are leaning to these days.

Current setup:
  • NAS—ancient Seagate GoFlex 2T
  • Kodi client—homebrew HTPC i5 mini-ATX running Win7, 8GB RAM, 250GB internal SSD
  • Screen—LG 60" smartTV, 4k capable
  • Primary use—streaming in-network from digital copies of our respectable movie library (yes, all legal)
  • Format—HD and SD, depending on the age of the original file.
  • Connections—wired Ethernet
Concerns:
  • The Seagate is getting old, and the storage is filling up. I worry a bit about its longevity, and I'm running low on capacity to store more DVDs (which we seem to keep acquiring)
  • The HTPC is obviously showing its age. I can completely disable its internet access after the last Win7 update, but that fossilizes Kodi. And the drive is getting crowded at this point.
  • Despite the wired connection we have occasional issues with stuttering and buffering. I put that down to the aging HTPC hardware, though it could be the Seagate cutting out.
  • I have to keep it all very easy to use for the rest of the family—they're not as techie as I am, even—and compatible with the existing Windows-based home network.
  • Secure remote access is highly desired (hubs is in the UK right now).
  • Would love to be able to set up an iTunes server, but I'm not greedy.
I have a couple PCs here that I could cannibalize, though I wouldn't want to use the drives from either; I could probably get a new mobo and SSD(s) and build a respectable system from existing parts. I would rather not spend a ton of money right now (prefer < $500, definitely < $750), and I want a setup that's easily moved, because there's a high probability we're relocating to the UK next year. If we do, I'll likely take the NAS and client machine and leave the disks in storage here. Ease of migrating the NAS storage is even more important than cost; due to various life factors I have an incredibly low tolerance for software stupidity at the moment.

So with that in mind:
  • Would you build a new HTPC, load Win10 on the existing one, or buy something like the NVIDIA Shield?
  • Would you build a new NAS, buy one, or just add external drives to the Seagate?
    • If you would build the NAS, which OS would you use? (I haven't built an NAS yet, though I'm sure if I just followed directions and RTFM I could.)
Thanks for your thoughts!

Messages In This Thread
Hardware upgrade recommendations (including "stand pat") - by Setaige - 2019-11-19, 19:37
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware upgrade recommendations (including "stand pat")0