Linux Guide to set up a Linux PC with Kodi and emulators
Introduction

Now that Kodibuntu is no more it is important to have a comprehensive guide to setup Kodi on a PC-like computer such as an Intel NUC using the Linux operating system. fritsch has done an excellent work in the Intel VAAPI howto with Leia v18 nightly based on Ubuntu 18.04 server thread. However, there are many important topics that you will usually need when setting up an HTPC not covered there. For example, mounting remote filesystem to access media stored in a NAS or configure SSH for passwordless login.

The guide explains how to install Linux from scratch (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa) and then install and configure Kodi. The guide also focuses on retrogaming and I cover the installation and setting up of EmulationStation as an alternative frontend for games. Starting with Kodi Leia you can use Kodi Retroplayer to play your retrogames. Retroarch, MAME and Mednafen are also included in the guide as emulation backend alternatives to Kodi Retroplayer. As the main control device for Kodi I recommend an XBox 360-like gamepad and the guide describes how to configure wired, 2.4 GHz wireless and Bluetooth gamepads in Linux. I also cover some more advanced topics, for example setting up a network router in your HTPC to connect a NAS to the HTPC with a wired connection and simultaneously using the wireless HTPC interface to connect to the Internet.

IMPORTANT The guide is still work in progress and some sections are not yet finished or need improvements.

The guide

To browse the guide follow this link and scroll down to the bottom of the page where you can find the index. Next are direct links to the most relevant pages:

Linux basic commands and procedures

Linux installation and initial configuration

Linux advanced configuration

Kodi installation in Ubuntu/Debian

The guide is written in Mardown and it is available as a Github repository. Contributions are welcomed in the form of pull requests in Github or comments in this thread. The reason to put the guide in Github and not in the forum is to have version tracking and also extended editing features.

History of the guide

Around 2014 I setup my first HTPC using an Intel NUC mini PC. During the process I created a set of notes but didn't have time to write them up. In 2020 I upgraded my HTPC and decided to update the notes and publish them for the first time. I hope you find them useful.

Messages In This Thread
Guide to set up a Linux PC with Kodi and emulators - by Wintermute0110 - 2020-07-01, 11:40
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Guide to set up a Linux PC with Kodi and emulators0