Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI
(2021-01-20, 07:24)rexian Wrote: What version of desktop Kodi doesn't recognize HDR10 stream? I am still running Matrix Beta 2 on Win10 and it plays HDR10 videos fine (including P7 and P81 samples) and my 4K TV recognizes the HDR10 signal.

Sorry if I was misunderstandable. What I wanted to say that only HDR10 type HDR files realized in desktop Kodi as HDR files. So the opposite what you wrote. HDR10 could be recognized by Kodi but Dolby Vision not. Also files with 10 bit encoding and wide color gamut but without such special HDR type (HDR10, or Dolby Vision) also not handled as HDR videos.
Update#1: So I not mentioned that HDR capable TV could not be able to handle HDR10 streams. I just mentioned that Kodi itself (not the display device) is only able to handle HDR10 streams as HDR (I mean can tonemap these streams to SDR to view on SDR displays). None of the other HDR 'types' handled as HDR (in Kodi! not in your display device).

So from a fresh steril viewpoint:

Currently/usually we have 3 type of 10 bit (or more in theoretically) files:
- 10 bit files with wide color gamut encoded without any special HDR standard - desktop Kodi not handles as HDR video
- 10 bit files with wide color gamut encoded as Dolby Vision standard - desktop Kodi not handles as HDR video
- 10 bit files with wide color gamut encoded as HDR10 standard - desktop Kodi handles as HDR video
Update#2: Ok it is inaccurate. I'm using Linux, so my desktop Kodi references refers to Linux desktop Kodi.

But these 'problems' are not GCGTV relevant... at least not only for... Will test them further if I have some time...
Update#4: @ the end of 2019 from: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2868023
Quote:HDR10 and perhaps eventually HDR10+ are possible as these are open standards. However Dolby Vision is proprietary so the only Kodi way will be able to do that is if there's a hardware decoder available on the device Kodi runs on, this already possible on some Android boxes I believe.
So Dolby Vision in theory should works on Dolby Vision displays if the playback device support it from HW. Kodi itself will never do tonemap so I no need to do further investigations. Will check on GCGTV at evening. In this case if GCGTV support it, Dolby Vision files on SDR TV should be resulted as SDR content after some HDR>SDR conversion made by GCGTV itself as 'black-box' insted of Kodi's soft tonemap. I think.

But '10 bit streams without HDR standard(s)' is still question...

(But there is one more interesting test result: Those Dolby Vision MP4 containered files what really identified as Dolby Vision files by MediInfo simply could not be properly re-encapsulated (remuxed) into MKV container. Video stream wrongly identified and therefore the result is not a standard HEVC video stream. 'Wrong file'.)
Update#3: Remux made by MKVToolnix

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - by Tamas.Toth.ebola - 2021-01-20, 11:07
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI0