"Copy to" option on Context Menu
(2010-12-02, 17:09)keithskaggs Wrote: Add a "Copy to" function on the Context Menu when on a Movie, TV Show, Music File, or Photo.

I have a very de-centralized library. In fact, my movies, TV show, music and photos are spread out on 7 different hard drives attached to various system on my network (5 drive NAS, and 2 PCs). None of my content is actually on my XBMC box (small SSD for speed, low power, low noise).

Low end media players are cheaply available. I just bought a Seagate Go-Flex TV for my Mother-in-Law. In her house a few blocks away, there is no internet or for that matter, even a computer. She has a TV with a VCR (no DVR, no DVD player, no stereo). My wife wants to be able to take movies, tv shows, photos, and music from our system and play them at her house.

The Seagate Go-Flex TV allows me to use a removeable HD, USB Flash drive, or a USB attached HD.

What I would like for my wife to be able to do, is plug in one of these devices to my XBMC and while in Library mode on the XBMC, use the context menu to "Copy to" the attached device. In this way, she could load a USB HD or USB Flash drive with the content (movies, TV shows, music, or photos) that she sees in our libraries. She would not have to search manually through the 7 different network locations for the content. It would be nice if the "Copy to" copied all the associated files (Subtitles, 2 part movies, nfo files, etc...). Additionally, it would be nice if the "Copy to" function worked on directories.

I do not want this external device to become part of my libraries, it would simply be a temp storage device for taking files from my place to my Mother-in-Laws.

Well, that's my idea. I hope I explained it properly and that someone capable of implementing it will give it a shot.

Thanks in advance,

Keith

I find myself in the same conundrum actually. I need a menu option such as Labeled Copy to USB (or a similar path I've preset).

My main media center is a mac mini with 8 tb of attached external storage. I at this point I have a router and 6 repeaters throughout my house, and trust me i've tried but theres no way I can get reliable 1080p streaming to one of my other 6 tv's connected to mac minis. I've tried all kinds of NAS devices, routers, repeaters but its just not going to happen. What i'm now trying to do is turn my main media centre into a media library, where anyone can go browse through the files, and say they like a movie, they just put their usb key in, and select the "copy to external device" option from the popup menu. The file gets transferred, they go onto their own mac mini simply go to file manager (Or video sources), and select "External storage" which would be the only option selectable. and presto...they get to play the file.

The other people in the house are nowhere as technically inclined as I am, so I really wouldn't want to make it any more complicated than it already is.

Let me know if theres some files I can edit, or script/plugin I can download that might be able to do this for me.

Alternatively, maybe someone can suggest a third party media manager that I can scan my library into that would give me such an option that would be used solely for people to copy files.

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Spaggi - 2010-12-02, 17:38
[No subject] - by jmarshall - 2010-12-02, 22:17
[No subject] - by keithskaggs - 2010-12-02, 23:46
[No subject] - by jmarshall - 2010-12-03, 00:32
[No subject] - by keithskaggs - 2010-12-03, 01:46
[No subject] - by Prizm4 - 2011-01-03, 05:47
RE: "Copy to" option on Context Menu - by nmirza - 2012-12-06, 14:46
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Copy to" option on Context Menu0