• 10(current)
Android MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)
(2017-12-13, 13:07)wapvi Wrote:
(2017-12-11, 16:41)wapvi Wrote: hi @wrxtasy i have a few questions if you could help with my u9:

When i go to settings - screen resolution if i select anything than 1080p60hz i get a black screen on my 4k HDR tv.
How do i know im getting the best HDR image?i selected YCBCR 422 but when playing HDR the menu colors become washed out
When playing a 4k HDR mkv, when i check the info on my tv, it says HDR FULL HD instead of HDR UHD so the resolution is only 1920*1080
Playing files from my gbit network results in continuous stuttering Sad any way to fix the smb speeds or play network files differently?
i moved to Libreelec but stil experiencing stuttering when playing 4k HDR files on LAN 
I'm not sure if it helps, but I bought a U9 and thought I'd try an HDR file, mine stuttered badly. I also had to disable passing through True HD, although my AVR does support it - that may not be the same issue.
To the U9 owners, what's your experience with kodi running on LE. And why did you guys choose U9 over other s912 devices.

I'm so torn between vero 4K and U9h.

At the same time, mecool devices has more ram.
for me everything work fine with libreElec (1080P-2160p HDR- lan) on my U9
(2017-12-13, 13:07)wapvi Wrote: i moved to Libreelec but stil experiencing stuttering when playing 4k HDR files on LAN
Sounds like your Network and SMB is what is causing the issue if they will not play in either Android or LE.
For UHD playback there is no need to test stupid bitrate files in excess of 140Mbps.

Use the Mediainfo PC program to look at files metadata.

With Kodi put 4K files on to a USB stick or SD card and playback to eliminate Network problems.

NFS networking should really be used for high bitrate UHD 4K.

Kodi's "Sync Playback to display should" NOT be enabled on the U9.

(2017-12-24, 00:20)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi's "Sync Playback to display should" NOT be enabled on the U9. <
I've been unable to find a setting that stops the box going to sleep. When I go to use it each day I have to reach behind the TV to where I have it mounted and press the little power button to wake it up.
(2017-12-25, 14:49)Quartermass Wrote: I've been unable to find a setting that stops the box going to sleep. When I go to use it each day I have to reach behind the TV to where I have it mounted and press the little power button to wake it up.
 Try switching to another hdmi port and then back. I think that will wake your  box up. With your TV remote.
(2017-12-23, 12:47)gurusev Wrote: To the U9 owners, what's your experience with kodi running on LE. And why did you guys choose U9 over other s912 devices.

I am returning the U9. 1 week of trying to get rid of stutter and bad picture on kodi app. Tried libreelec for 1 week, same problems. Was getting a bit better with latest test builds but I dont believe it will solve everything. Was running from USB and network so no network issue. Maybe I got a faulty box. Next buy is Vero 4K. From wWhat I hear it sounds good.
Thanks for this but the problem is, even plugging my ext4 formatted HDD directly to the u9 I get stutters maybe it's the file system?I'm using libreelec btw
(2017-12-26, 20:12)sssgsr Wrote:
(2017-12-23, 12:47)gurusev Wrote: To the U9 owners, what's your experience with kodi running on LE. And why did you guys choose U9 over other s912 devices.

I am returning the U9. 1 week of trying to get rid of stutter and bad picture on kodi app. Tried libreelec for 1 week, same problems. Was getting a bit better with latest test builds but I dont believe it will solve everything. Was running from USB and network so no network issue. Maybe I got a faulty box. Next buy is Vero 4K. From wWhat I hear it sounds good.
Old Sony / Philips TV's are notorious for not accepting YCbCr HDMI inputs and producing Pink Screens.

You do realise you are buying virtually the same AMLogic Hardware with the virtually the same Linux Kernel and nearly the same set of Kodi patches ?

In the absence of any details...

For all we know you could be playing 10bit H.264 Anime which no AMLogic hardware will support. I've tested virtually every combo of video files under the sun and that is the only combo that will trip up AMLogic LibreELEC Kodi (or OSMC Kodi) and produce stuttering.

Something is wrong with your particular setup or source video files or yes you have faulty hardware.

(2017-12-25, 14:49)Quartermass Wrote: I've been unable to find a setting that stops the box going to sleep. When I go to use it each day I have to reach behind the TV to where I have it mounted and press the little power button to wake it up.
 If you are booting into the minix firmware you can disable sleep via the developer options. Go into settings / about / click on build number 7 times. You are now in developer mode, go back and go into the developer menu / General / enable "Stay Awake"
(2017-12-26, 23:26)wrxtasy Wrote: Old Sony / Philips TV's are notorious for not accepting YCbCr HDMI inputs and producing Pink Screens.
I thought it was RGB that tripped them up - given that YCbCr is what most consumer gear would default to outputting (set top boxes, DVD and Blu-ray players etc.) (Or are these really early, odd-ball sets which had an HDMI grafted on to a chassis that would previously have had RGB DVI inputs?)
Quote:For all we know you could be playing 10bit H.264 Anime which no AMLogic hardware will support. I've tested virtually every combo of video files under the sun and that is the only combo that will trip up AMLogic LibreELEC Kodi (or OSMC Kodi) and produce stuttering.
They don't play 4:2:2 video in any codec flavour (MPEG2 or H.264) or bit depth do they - all strictly 4:2:0 only?
(2017-12-27, 03:09)noggin Wrote:
(2017-12-26, 23:26)wrxtasy Wrote: Old Sony / Philips TV's are notorious for not accepting YCbCr HDMI inputs and producing Pink Screens.
I thought it was RGB that tripped them up - given that YCbCr is what most consumer gear would default to outputting (set top boxes, DVD and Blu-ray players etc.) (Or are these really early, odd-ball sets which had an HDMI grafted on to a chassis that would previously have had RGB DVI inputs?)
Quote:For all we know you could be playing 10bit H.264 Anime which no AMLogic hardware will support. I've tested virtually every combo of video files under the sun and that is the only combo that will trip up AMLogic LibreELEC Kodi (or OSMC Kodi) and produce stuttering.
They don't play 4:2:2 video in any codec flavour (MPEG2 or H.264) or bit depth do they - all strictly 4:2:0 only?        
The problem is that the TVs advertise support for unsupported capabilities in their EDID. This is rife with 2009-2012 era sets, as manufacturers seemed to take a one size fits all approach regarding EDIDs for their displays.
So yes, you need to send an RGB signal. Unfortunately, their EDIDs suggest otherwise and this causes a ton of problems. 

In the next update on Vero 4K, you will be able to select 'Force RGB' in Kodi instead of manually setting it via the command line. For now, the sysfs approach works, but is rather inappropriate for a 'just works' solution, hence the impending GUI option. 

There's a fix from Mateusz which addresses this, but you'll also need https://github.com/osmc/vero3-linux/comm...a54edbef3c, and it still unfortunately needs manual intervention. 

I've started to notice a few quirks with some sets. As these are reported, we're building a set of fixups based on the EDID parameters we receive. See https://github.com/osmc/vero3-linux/comm...b012fb26d8 for an example. I suspect this will come in handy to deal with flickering issues that sometimes present on some models of LG displays when HDR mode is active. This will allow Vero 4K to adapt to displays and receivers that need to be treated specially without a user having to make any changes out of the box. This is a little bit further off, but for now manual intervention does the trick.

Sam
(2017-12-27, 05:18)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: The problem is that the TVs advertise support for unsupported capabilities in their EDID. This is rife with 2009-2012 era sets, as manufacturers seemed to take a one size fits all approach regarding EDIDs for their displays.
So yes, you need to send an RGB signal. Unfortunately, their EDIDs suggest otherwise and this causes a ton of problems. 

Is this them advertising support for 4:4:4 YCbCr but only accepting 4:2:2 YCbCr (along with 4:4:4 RGB?) - or do they support no YCbCr component inputs at certain resolutions and frame sizes? (I'm pretty sure that most consumer gear - until recently - was 4:2:2 720p or 1080i only - so RGB only inputs would have been a nightmare, but if they accepted 4:2:2 YCbCr less so)

I've come across the reverse too - TVs that don't flag all the modes that they accept (some TVs that will accept 50Hz don't report that they will, and mu current UHD set accepts 1080/120p but doesn't EDID flag that it does)

I've not come across a consumer TV that doesn't accept 4:2:2 YCbCr at 720p or 1080i/p - but then I stopped buying Philips TVs in the 80s (and Philips haven't made TVs for a long time now - preferring to license their brand to different manufacturers in different regions)
Quote:In the next update on Vero 4K, you will be able to select 'Force RGB' in Kodi instead of manually setting it via the command line. For now, the sysfs approach works, but is rather inappropriate for a 'just works' solution, hence the impending GUI option. 

There's a fix from Mateusz which addresses this, but you'll also need https://github.com/osmc/vero3-linux/comm...a54edbef3c, and it still unfortunately needs manual intervention. 

I've started to notice a few quirks with some sets. As these are reported, we're building a set of fixups based on the EDID parameters we receive. See https://github.com/osmc/vero3-linux/comm...b012fb26d8 for an example. I suspect this will come in handy to deal with flickering issues that sometimes present on some models of LG displays when HDR mode is active. This will allow Vero 4K to adapt to displays and receivers that need to be treated specially without a user having to make any changes out of the box. This is a little bit further off, but for now manual intervention does the trick.

Sam 

It certainly gets a whole lot more complicated once you start supporting 4:2:2 YCbCr HDMI 2.0a 2160/50p and 60p HDR modes - which require the higher bandwidth HDMI modes (unlike 4:2:0 2160/50p and 60p modes and the 2160/24-30p modes at 4:4:4 and 4:2:2). Since I switched to HDMI 2.0a high-bandwidth compatible sources I've had to replace a number of HDMI cables, as the increased bandwidth requirements exposed cables that weren't electrically good enough. (£10 replacements fixed the issue)

Plus I guess there are all sorts of potential issues with Metadata/Format flagging for HDR.  I had a hilarious issue where my Sony TV kept flipping from HDR to SDR mode and back again on one source via one combination of cables and splitters...  No idea if headers were being intermittently stripped by the splitter, or if the splitter was futzing EDID, but it was unwatchable. (I do wonder if some Kodi solutions for HDR are currently passing full metadata, or are instead just sending fixed 1000nit stuff)
(2017-12-26, 23:26)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2017-12-26, 20:12)sssgsr Wrote:

Old Sony / Philips TV's are notorious for not accepting YCbCr HDMI inputs and producing Pink Screens.

You do realise you are buying virtually the same AMLogic Hardware with the virtually the same Linux Kernel and nearly the same set of Kodi patches ?

In the absence of any details...

For all we know you could be playing 10bit H.264 Anime which no AMLogic hardware will support. I've tested virtually every combo of video files under the sun and that is the only combo that will trip up AMLogic LibreELEC Kodi (or OSMC Kodi) and produce stuttering.

Something is wrong with your particular setup or source video files or yes you have faulty hardware.   
I understand its basicly same hardware but not all the same software. What do you suggest then?  I have the Oled LG55B6. I have no anime, I have 1080P h264, 720P h264 mostly. What I can tell you its got nothing to do with bitrate since a couple of 60gig 4k plays ok (one with 2.0 audio plays great, suggests audio problems). Rest is a guess, cant find a common enemy. 
I have a old, i think about 7-8 years AMD fusion mini-itx, and plays everything to 4k very good, no problems . Yes also some big 1080p bluerays are a problem. 
Maybe its my setup. HDMI direct to LG and optical to receiver. Maybe its a fps problem. I could sometimes when flipping always on/start stop/off get it to run ok.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MINIX NEO U9-H (64-bit Octa Core Amlogic S912-H/ 4K UHD HEVC, HDR, Dolby Audio)6