• 10(current)
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?
evilhomeruk Wrote:I'd prefer it without the mechanical HDD - it's going to add noise, albeit a tiny amount, whereas the SSD is silent. Surely ppl who buy a Revo aren't planning to store their media on it? If so, 160Gb isn't enough by far.

I put a 160GB HDD into my orginal XBOX with XBMC and I never really had an issue with the capacity. I admit at some point I started deleting stuff to make room but in all honesty I only tend to watch videos once so the only files that never got deleted were music and pictures.... and maybe Bleach. Rolleyes
This morning I installed the latest Nvidia stable drivers. A lot of my video playback issues are solved! The only thing I see are some CDVDPlayerAudio messages in the xbmc.log

Which audio settings are you using?

My Revo is directly connected to my Panasonic 42" Plasma screen. No receiver in between. The settings I'm using:

Audio output (digital) => Digital
- Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver => OFF
- DTS Capable Receiver => OFF
Audio output device => hdmi
Passthrough output device => hdmi
Downmix multichannel audio to stereo => ON

I'm seeing this kind of messages in the xbmc.log:

DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty - was:238412850.645869, should be:238422854.526368, error:10003.880500
DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty - was:400481182.018368, should be:400491195.602409, error:10013.584040
DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty - was:558328136.549409, should be:558338486.035271, error:10349.485863
DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuty - was:720139945.686271, should be:720149947.045293, error:10001.359022

What do you use?
did anybody try out the new BIOS versions from Acer?

in their international support directory, under Desktops -> Aspire -> R3600 (internal name of the Revo) there's 2 new BIOS versions right now:

BIOS Acer BIOS for Linux R01.A1L 779.6 KB 2009/06/02

and

Download BIOS Acer BIOS R01.A1 805.4 KB 2009/06/02

frankly I have NO idea what the special thing is about the Linux BIOS (some speculate it's without SLIC), but as the previously posted (and removed) BIOS versions killed HDMI Audio (besides some other annoyances) and I had to go back to A0, I'm not into testing right now. also, the idiots from Acer don't document their BIOS revisions, so it's trial and error.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I just really wish someone would start selling them in the US. I'm about to take the plunge and get the Zotac ION 330 board, but the Revo would be much cheaper.
pumkinut Wrote:I just really wish someone would start selling them in the US. I'm about to take the plunge and get the Zotac ION 330 board, but the Revo would be much cheaper.

+1

In the UK it's been released more than a month ago and still no news for the US market... I don't understand what's going on, it's a pity, but I'll wait for it.
limaunion Wrote:+1

In the UK it's been released more than a month ago and still no news for the US market... I don't understand what's going on, it's a pity, but I'll wait for it.

There has also not been any further news on the N330 model. To be on the safe side I am going for the dual core model (just in case I need some extra CPU horsepower).

Its really hard not to order the existing model. I am so very eager to try and get my bluetooth dongle working and use my PS3 remote to control XBMC.
Has any one tried the build your own route? with something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813500029

I prefer to have a self contained system. This board will support up to 4.5G with the seagate 1.5 drives or 6 if you went with the 2g WD drives.
ﻪﻥﻋﺸﻷﻜﻈﭚ
I'd rather go with the A-U model as it comes with laptop power supply so you can have a little more room in your case for cooling since it's a passive cooling system.

To be honest I'm really torn between something like the Revo and building my own, since I've seen no timeline whatsoever about a US release of the Revo.
just a quick note about the revo:

as of today, my stuttering/buffering problems are gone. 720p MKVs with DTS or AC3 passthrough over HDMI play perfect. the problem is, I don't know exactly what I did to make them disappear.
prior with the live distribution, I had these buffering problems no matter if I assigned 256 or 512MB VRAM, so I tried installing XBMCbuntu with newest nvidia drivers according to the how-to, still the same jerky playback. today I flashed the newest BIOS revision P06 and directly set the vram to 512MB. HDMI audio in windows still worked (was broken in previous BIOS revisions, see my other post) and I booted into my XBMCbuntu installation, started a 720p MKV and lo and behold! perfect playback!
I'm not sure what exactly caused the buffering messages to disappear, but I guess that prior to the new BIOS revision, maybe the 512MB setting was ignored by XBMC/linux/the nvidia driver/whatever. later on I will switch back to Auto/256MB and see if the buffering messages are coming back (I'd bet on it), but for now I'm really glad everything finally works as it is supposed to. the only thing left is that .m2ts files are a little out of sync and dropping some frames in spite of the CPU load being very low.

one last remark: as windows with haali and MPC HC can run HD MKVs smoothly with "only" 256MB VRAM assigned, I think XBMC should also be able to do so... now if I only could get windows to passthrough DTS via HDMI... Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Witch nvidia driver you had before and now ?

For the 180.xx driver you need
Code:
<videoplayer>
<strictbinding>false</strictbinding>
</videoplayer>
inside advancedsettings.xml
that's interesting, I never came across this setting. do you mean that by setting strictbinding to false, HD videos will also run with only 256MB VRAM assigned, or is this just a driver-related problem and no matter what the setting, I need to assign 512MB to the GPU? btw I had choppy playback ("buffering...") with 180.xx
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Dont think this will help you with the mem you assigned. But now its clear why you had choppy playback with the 180.xx driver Smile (aslong you didnt have this strictbinding we know it at last)
Has anyone managed to get wireless working using xbmc live?
JUICESIX90 Wrote:Has anyone managed to get wireless working using xbmc live?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52304

if you need wireless working in XBMC, you have to go the XBMCbuntu route
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Ah, thanks.
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Acer Aspire Revo (NVIDIA Ion) with XBMC for Linux performance and stability?2