• 14(current)
Why not WMC as backend?
I have no time this week, my daughter is on her spring break and we are picking a college for next year so I am travelling and taking many boring college tours. I should have time this weekend.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
I was gifted an ATI Digital Cable tuner that is WMC only. There are no linux drivers for it and I have windows only on my laptop for those few times I need it.

I would be interested in knowing if this long thread here means that there is hope of setting up a WMC TV PVR back-end and using it with XBMC.

I admit I did not read all of this and the few pages I read seemed to show progress.
Can't wait to see further progress!!! Good work guys
(2013-04-09, 07:56)tekno Wrote: I was gifted an ATI Digital Cable tuner that is WMC only. There are no linux drivers for it and I have windows only on my laptop for those few times I need it.

I would be interested in knowing if this long thread here means that there is hope of setting up a WMC TV PVR back-end and using it with XBMC.

I admit I did not read all of this and the few pages I read seemed to show progress.

Well, the pvr features (setting up recordings, viewing recordings, viewing guide data is working fine for all the testers). However about a third of the people testing are having problems with live tv, that I have yet to work through (although some issues have been solved).

The other problem with live tv, is that I don't have a solution for channels that broadcast in h264. If anyone can help with this that would help a lot, otherwise I will look for solutions to this once I have the rest of the software stable. And I will never have a solution for xbmc viewing encrypted broadcasts (although you can use this backed to record them, and eventually I may have a way to launch wmc to view these).

But you know this isn't my job, but I spend time on it whenever I can and I am committed to releasing it. So yeah, there is a lot of hope I'd say.

Oh, it is also not installing in win8. This is fixable, but I am going to have to break down and get win8 to resolve this (I can't decide what computer to install it on...)
Just let us know Krusty. I have a ceton infinitv just dying to try this out. I figured the encrypted channels won't work, but I just want a better front end then WMC. I am patiently waiting for any type of release to test out.

(2013-04-09, 17:26)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-04-09, 07:56)tekno Wrote: I was gifted an ATI Digital Cable tuner that is WMC only. There are no linux drivers for it and I have windows only on my laptop for those few times I need it.

Well, the pvr features (setting up recordings, viewing recordings, viewing guide data is working fine for all the testers). However about a third of the people testing are having problems with live tv, that I have yet to work through (although some issues have been solved).

The other problem with live tv, is that I don't have a solution for channels that broadcast in h264. If anyone can help with this that would help a lot, otherwise I will look for solutions to this once I have the rest of the software stable. And I will never have a solution for xbmc viewing encrypted broadcasts (although you can use this backed to record them, and eventually I may have a way to launch wmc to view these).

But you know this isn't my job, but I spend time on it whenever I can and I am committed to releasing it. So yeah, there is a lot of hope I'd say.

Oh, it is also not installing in win8. This is fixable, but I am going to have to break down and get win8 to resolve this (I can't decide what computer to install it on...)
[/quote]
The other problem with live tv, is that I don't have a solution for channels that broadcast in h264. If anyone can help with this that would help a lot,
[/quote]

Am mostly clueless but I can google. Am really guessing about your requirements relative to h264 but.... this looked interesting

How can I get Win 7 Media Center to play h264?

Senior AVS member JoshDorhyke has some comments that 'might' relate?

"First off, h264 is the video codec, it is not the file type. You should not have files with a h264 extension... A mkv or mp4 can be the file type which contains the h264 video. W7 should only require Haali Media Splitter to play those files, no other codecs need to be installed. The only exception is if you want to decode DTS audio on the computer. W7 will pass DTS but I don't believe it will decode it with the included codecs. At any rate, you really mean that you can not get media center to recognize there are mp4 files on the computer? This has absolutely nothing to do with the codecs.

Try right click, open with, chose program and then pick windows Media Center. That should associate those files with WMC and allow them to play in WMC. However, I'm not 100% sure you will be able to open the file from within WMC. That did work in Vista to allow WMC to view mkv files for me which did not show up before."

He mentions Haali Media Splitter which could be downloaded here. It's freeware, but when googling, some folks reported issues and problems removing it. Might want to try on a spare PC. I saw an intro to Haali Media Splitter here.

Then there was this... Decoding a proprietary H.264 network video stream?. Guy looks like he's using a Hex editor on the output file and then some Perl scripts to strip off a header and capture the underlying stream.

One last thought. Scanned and found this website - Hacking Windows Media Center Saw this in Q&A. Active links on the webpage.

Can I ask, I would like to use Cyberlink for my TV, CoreAVC for h264/x264 and FFDShow for avi/divx/xvid etc. Is this possible using the MCDU in 7MC or does it only allow for one video codec.

Answer - Yes, It is possible but you’ll need to use more than just MCDU. First you’ll need to install all three codecs. Then replace the default TV codec with Cyberlink using MCDU or this guide. Next, open FFDShow’s video configuration and set h.264 to disabled. Use Filter Manager and set FFDShow to Preffered+1 and CoreAVC to Preffered. This should defer h.264 to CoreAVC, use Graphstudio to double-check that h.264 is being handled by CoreAVC and with any luck you should be all set

Other links
Finding Haali’s x64 Splitter Beta
Media Center Decoder Utility (MCDU) Finally Comes to Windows 7
Disable and Replace MS DTV/DVD Decoder

Maybe that helps? We all want you to succeed friend.
I'm guessing the h.264 issue is that DVB I think can either be MPEG-2 video or H.264 video.

scott s.
(2013-04-10, 04:34)rtwolfe Wrote: Am mostly clueless but I can google. Am really guessing about your requirements relative to h264 but.... this looked interesting

Thanks for the search, most of this stuff I have seen. And most of this stuff is about playing h264. That's not my problem, I need to capture h264 to a file (like mkv per your example). For those of you who know directshow filtergraphs, the easy way to state the problem is I need a graph that takes an h264 encoded wtv file and writes it to either an mp4 or mkv file, Since the data in the wtv is already h264, I'm really looking for a graph that is just doing a loss-less container switch. Seems like it should be possible, but I can't find it.
(2013-04-10, 16:36)krustyreturns Wrote: I need a graph that takes an h264 encoded wtv file and writes it to either an mp4 or mkv file,

MCE buddy can remux WTV files.

http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/
it can't remux if it has any copy protection Sad
(2013-04-10, 16:36)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-04-10, 04:34)rtwolfe Wrote: Am mostly clueless but I can google. Am really guessing about your requirements relative to h264 but.... this looked interesting

Thanks for the search, most of this stuff I have seen. And most of this stuff is about playing h264. That's not my problem, I need to capture h264 to a file (like mkv per your example). For those of you who know directshow filtergraphs, the easy way to state the problem is I need a graph that takes an h264 encoded wtv file and writes it to either an mp4 or mkv file, Since the data in the wtv is already h264, I'm really looking for a graph that is just doing a loss-less container switch. Seems like it should be possible, but I can't find it.

Get in contact with the folks at Ceton (either at The Green Button or through Twitter) and see if they can offer you any advice/guidance......some providers in the US are just starting to roll out some channels in h.264 and they're dealing with this very issue and WMC viewing/playback atm if I'm not mistaken. They also have been performing tests with the Echo extender overseas with select members where TV stations all broadcast in h.264.
I currently have this issue. The problem lies with certain versions of the Intel chipset. (2100 I believe but don't hold me to that) SInce the built in "graphics card" can not handle decoding h 264 in the hardware wmc does not allow it to be displayed. (You can hear audio perfectly) What sucks is that the chips can decode the file easily and handle the playback. This is a lock out by Playready and the wmc software.

--Sojhinn

(2013-04-11, 06:48)staknhalo Wrote:
(2013-04-10, 16:36)krustyreturns Wrote:

Get in contact with the folks at Ceton (either at The Green Button or through Twitter) and see if they can offer you any advice/guidance......some providers in the US are just starting to roll out some channels in h.264 and they're dealing with this very issue and WMC viewing/playback atm if I'm not mistaken. They also have been performing tests with the Echo extender overseas with select members where TV stations all broadcast in h.264.
Double post...
Krusty (and others)

Just want to say thank you to everyone involved in this.

Krusty, long time WMC user here and 20+ year software developer ( on Windows ) with WMC/Extender/Ceton setup that would love to test or assist in any way that might be helpful.
krustyreturns,

I would love to participate in any testing and help provide feedback with troubleshooting if at all possible. I would love to see this in action and help you resolve your h.264 issues if at all possible.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not WMC as backend?11