• 14(current)
WIP Discuss improvements for pvr section
@opdenkamp: I thought lingertime = 0 was the old behavior.
1 hour (so m_iEpgLingerTime = 60) was the default
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
but wasn't it fixed already by mapping back to take you back to the selection? if so, why the drama?
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you read back a few pages you'll see people don't get that you can use the back button to get to the sidebar (most likely because it's the only place back behaves like that), that is the real issue here.
right, then people need to be taught to press the back button to go back (which is pretty common in almost every program that has a back button), instead of teaching them how to change as.xml in my opinion, and there's no issue here. there's always changes that some like and some others don't like.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

I'd agree with you (I taught my girlfriend that she has to press back instead of left, it's not like it's rocket science), but it seems some people consider this a show stopper. When someone decides not to use a piece of software because of a usability issue it is worth discussing it to come up with alternate solutions.

In the long run (aka. the next release) I think the most decent solution would be to promote this to a GUI setting, that way those that don't want this new behavior can disable it. It has to be taken into account that practically no STB or TV supports going back in the timeline so I don't think it's unreasonable to be able to disable it.
@negge - for future versions the entire PVR section has to be redone. The sideblad has to die and we need entirely separated windows so that skinners can come up with some PVR "hub" view (overview of upcoming and recent timers, upcoming favourite shows, ...) and whatever else they like. Also the way EPG view mode and channel groups are currently switched has to change - usability is quite bad for this (try to switch channel group in EPG view).
@da-anda: you're right, that way the sidebar could be used for something useful (specific to each window).
yes, sidebar would be gone/free for view specific settings and you would "back" out of every view back to the "hub"/PVR-homescreen where you came from
the whole pvr window is a hack and needs to be cleaned up indeed
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

(2014-04-06, 10:24)opdenkamp Wrote: right, then people need to be taught to press the back button to go back (which is pretty common in almost every program that has a back button), instead of teaching them how to change as.xml in my opinion, and there's no issue here. there's always changes that some like and some others don't like.

@opdenkamp, I tested the back button functionality on both my Mac OS X machine and my Windows 7 x64 machine. Both machines are running Gotham Beta 1 as it is the most stable for video play back right now and the Artic 0.66 skin. On both machine with lingertime set to 60+mins the back button does not open the side bar. It takes me back to XBMC's home screen. Hitting the context menu button "C" key will give me the options to skip to the beginning of the EPG or the Now/Current time part of the EPG. The only way to get the side bar is to keep hitting the Left button until it reaches the beginning of the EPG. Now that I have set my lingertime = 0 I can't just hit left to get to the side bar.

(2014-04-06, 12:15)da-anda Wrote: @negge - for future versions the entire PVR section has to be redone. The sideblad has to die and we need entirely separated windows so that skinners can come up with some PVR "hub" view (overview of upcoming and recent timers, upcoming favourite shows, ...) and whatever else they like. Also the way EPG view mode and channel groups are currently switched has to change - usability is quite bad for this (try to switch channel group in EPG view).

This would be awesome if skins had access to this. I know PVR is new to XBMC and at the same time kind of dieing, but I heavily use it now thanks to the fantastic and super reliable WMC PVR add-on.
@Talguy - ask Artic author to add "back" button support - AFAIK skins have to support it
most of the annoying stuff, handling channel groups, accessing pvr windows etc. is done and waiting for inclusion. i don't want to repeat me every page . we hear your voice but we are at feature freeze and this don't get its way in before H* aka The Hoff Wink
After long time with Enigma2 boxes and especially black hole team skins in my VU I honestly say pvr needs redesign from ground up but fortunately here I see some progress and thx for this.
There's no substitute for experience
@odenkamp - as many have mentioned on this thread they are not (and neither am I) accustomed to going back in time in the EPG. It is not only about pressing "back" it is about usability. I would say most people use the EPG to find something to watch either now or something to record in the future. When complete they use the left button to go back to the "current" viewing time. I have not seen one comment on this thread from anyone who actually wants this feature to be the default (or have I miss read it?)
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discuss improvements for pvr section1