• 14(current)
Mutagen
Wow man, what's your issue. You are only swearing in this thread.
fritsch just posts a link that shows robwebset is breaking the law, and violating the open source spirit.

That should be enough reason for an open source team to stop any attempt to fix a situation until it was resolved.
(2016-10-08, 10:27)swetoast Wrote: good for you now go away... and let Team Kodi and Rob resolve the issue.

Was that towards me?

I shortly googled "tvtunes rob selling" and found: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2113912 - no idea how to interpret that, some devs have a paypal account in some ways, but to my knowledge no one says: "Before downloading, you need to use paypal" or something. But that's certainly side-tracking currently.

The GPL stuff is far, far more important, also with the background of allowing support / talk about such repositories in the future and certainly needs to be resolved.

Edit: Updated the link after reading also the next page
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-10-08, 10:34)fritsch Wrote: Was that towards me?

no..
But I see, that an argument / proof / link / whatever driven conversation in this thread is not wanted, that's why I will unsubscribe again from it. Please resolve the GPL issues as this is (not matter what else has happened) per se against everything kodi and its supporters have created in the past decades.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'm going to make an addon that uses Mutagen. just for the keks

Here is the default.py:
Code:
import mutagen
That's all it will do.
(2016-10-08, 10:41)Karnagious Wrote: I'm going to make an addon that uses Mutagen. just for the keks

Here is the default.py:
Code:
import mutagen
That's all it will do.

I was actually thinking about that, but I don't know how to code
(2016-10-08, 10:36)fritsch Wrote: But I see, that an argument / proof / link / whatever driven conversation in this thread is not wanted, that's why I will unsubscribe again from it. Please resolve the GPL issues as this is (not matter what else has happened) per se against everything kodi and its supporters have created in the past decades.

+1

While I would not assume this was intentional/malicious (or not) at this point, fritsch is right that this should be resolved. All disagreements aside, following open source requirements is probably the one thing nearly all of us agree on.
I believe that you miss-understand licensing law, I wrote the software, therefor I can change the license.

Check the web, it is discussed in a few places, one example:

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/que...re-restric

The software is still free to use. Why did I change it? Because when this all started someone mentioned - just copying all the addons and redistributing them. (And I didn't want people copying them all over the place)

Hope that clarifies things.

Rob
You can only do that if you have the agreement of all contributors, which ironically is explained on the same page you linked to.
Quote:If they have accepted contributions from other users - then they would need the agreement of those other users. This is the point of GPL, you force other people to play nicely with your code, just as you did with theirs.
You rewrote the history of the code so the original contributors are not shown anymore.
Yeah, that is "okay" - if you are the only contributor / commiter. This must also account for every single non trivial code snippet copied from somewhere else (with GPL or similar licence). Is that the case here completely? Can you be 100% sure? If yes - you are allowed to change the licence. A black duck scan could help here.

What I now wonder is: https://github.com/robwebset/script.tvtu...8b22e04170 if your new licence is "compatible" to using kodi's xbmcaddon interface. But that someone with deeper of knowledge of licences needs to decide.

Besides that, it's always sad to see a licence going to somewhere else, while it is the basis that made kodi great on many platforms.

Edit: said -> sad (german denglish, sorry).
Edit2: added (with GPL or similar licence) <- to make my sentence more clear
Here is a repository with the history not removed: https://github.com/angelblue05/script.tvtunes

You started working on it when you copied it from the svn repository of @ronie
https://github.com/angelblue05/script.tv...c8013553cf

It seems reasonable In order to comply with the law he needs to give his permission for the change of license.
Hi fritsch,

Yes pretty sure - but you do raise a good point - when I rewrote TvTunes from the ground up - I did copy over the old TvTunes image (So it looked the same from the outside to people) - so I think I should change the image - I'll get that done.

This change in license is not designed to prevent people using it - just redistributing it. It would be good if people saw this in the spirit it was intended - it's not done to be malicious. (That would be my just deleting all the addons from Github completely)

(I don't re-distribute the Kodi Interface - so I don't believe there is any issue there)

Thanks
Rob
Looking through other stuff, I find a lot more :-( but (as I don't want to fingerpoint), please fix the licences of: script.ebook (5 GNU licences removed), e.g.: https://github.com/kimvais/kiehinen and the sonos helper library (soco) MIT licence removed (https://github.com/SoCo/SoCo/blob/master/LICENSE.rst)

Please fix that, as there is no interpretation needed. This is against the law and against the spirit of opensource.
I'm not sure whether we can or should allow any discussion of add-ons which are within such a restrictive commercial license, but I'll leave that to the team.
Personally I believe it goes against the spirit of Kodi and FOSS for sure.

There are most definitely a few (law-breaking) issues with the history rewrite and license changes you did on all the add-ons.
There are several included codebases in your add-ons which are now stripped from their GPL and MIT licenses, as someone in our moderators channel just remarked.
(2016-10-08, 11:41)Kib Wrote: I'm not sure whether we can or should allow any discussion of add-ons which are within such a restrictive commercial license, but I'll leave that to the team.
Personally I believe it goes against the spirit of Kodi and FOSS for sure.

There are most definitely a few (law-breaking) issues with the history rewrite and license changes you did on all the add-ons.
There are several included codebases in your add-ons which are now stripped from their GPL and MIT licenses, as someone in our moderators channel just remarked.

I would not go that far (at this point of time). Yes, we cannot tolearte licence removers and history rewriters, as stated above. But I think Rob will use the time to make these changes undone and correct these things. We could perhaps say: Let's suspend talking about those forked addons until the obvious issues, the law issues, are solved?
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mutagen5