• 143(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-12-03, 06:16)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-03, 05:40)billyvnilly Wrote: I followed steps AFAIK, and I'm not getting the option to boot into openelec. I chose 30 seconds + ChromeOS. And I exited developer mode. When i power off and restart, there is no option to choose the boot (blank screen into the chromeOS) I see that it should say "esc." on the black screen... and ctrl+d or ctrl+l also dont seem to do anything? Was I supposed to always stay in developer mode? The fact that Lon admits doing something wrong in his setup, confuses me even more. I followed the steps on the wiki, and have just finished watching his video, and just confused.

you should not have exited developer mode - tried to make that explicit on the wiki.

Assuming you already performed the factory reset as per my instructions, you'll just need to re-enter developer mode, re-download/re-run the script, and re-run the 2nd stage of the OE dual boot setup. Once that's done, then you will be able to boot into either ChromeOS or OpenELEC via [CTRL-D] / [CTRL-L] on the developer boot screen.

If you didn't do the factory reset the first time around, do that, then start from scratch.

Lon's video is more confusing than helpful IMO.
alrighty, thanks for quick reply! It does mention several times to be in developer mode, but i was under the assumption that this was just for the installation process, and for daily use, i could return to the "normal" mode. but ill follow your steps!

Also in Wiki, I came across something. chrome://imageburner did not work for me (wasted an hour bc I wasn't sure how long it should take as this is my first time). Discovered there is a webstore app Chromebook Restore Utility that does what imageburner should do. Its an easy to follow guide, and quick. I recommend updating the wiki for this.

Thanks for this great dual boot pc.
(2014-12-03, 06:23)billyvnilly Wrote: alrighty, thanks for quick reply! It does mention several times to be in developer mode, but i was under the assumption that this was just for the installation process, and for daily use, i could return to the "normal" mode. but ill follow your steps!

Also in Wiki, I came across something. chrome://imageburner did not work for me (wasted an hour bc I wasn't sure how long it should take as this is my first time). Discovered there is a webstore app Chromebook Restore Utility that does what imageburner should do. Its an easy to follow guide, and quick. I recommend updating the wiki for this.

Thanks for this great dual boot pc.

how can I make it more clear to not exit developer mode?

updated the wiki, seems that Google removed the imageburner feature in favor of the web app
Quote:how can I make it more clear to not exit developer mode?

updated the wiki, seems that Google removed the imageburner feature in favor of the web app
I guess a sentence "Once you have finished setting up dual boot, never leave developer mode" Tongue
But forgive me for jesting, I honestly thought the developer mode was just for the initial setup. thanks again, I'm halfway through, but I'll assume its gonna work just fine. gotta get to bed.
I just set up a new chromebox using all the steps provided, the only problem is it says there is no bluetooth adapter. Anyone else have this issue?
(2014-12-03, 10:38)afterburn999 Wrote: I just set up a new chromebox using all the steps provided, the only problem is it says there is no bluetooth adapter. Anyone else have this issue?

Im sure matt is sick of answering this. You have to enable it in settings
I got my chromebox today and everything went fine setting up a dualboot with chrome os and openelec. I did this on my Computer Monitor. After completing the setup i connected the chromebox to the bedroom TV and bootet it but there is no signal to the tv. If i turn on the chromebox without HDMI Connected and connect it after powering on the chromebox everythin is fine but after i shut down the box or put it in sleep i got no signal again.
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
(2014-12-02, 17:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-02, 15:58)TonyPh12345 Wrote: @matt Devo, any idea why the script is bombing out for OpenELEC installs? I tried inserting the "--no-check-certificate" option in the sh script where the wget is used to dropbox, but that just caused a "403" error and still won't download the syslinux file.

On a separate note, looks like this Asus Chromebox is headed back to Amazon -- the Wired Ethernet socket is not working. Even in native ChromeOS (virgin bootup) it insists on WiFi only, even though my network is working fine with other devices on the same cable.

Thanks, y'all!

I'm not seeing any such issues here, just tested an OE dual boot install.

Acch! The issue was mine -- OpenDNS was denying access to the download URL. Modifying /etc/resolv.conf prior to running the script had me sorted out.

Thanks for your incredible effort with this!!! Your hours have undoubtedly saved thousandfold hours for others.
(2014-12-03, 16:10)john.cord Wrote: I got my chromebox today and everything went fine setting up a dualboot with chrome os and openelec. I did this on my Computer Monitor. After completing the setup i connected the chromebox to the bedroom TV and bootet it but there is no signal to the tv. If i turn on the chromebox without HDMI Connected and connect it after powering on the chromebox everythin is fine but after i shut down the box or put it in sleep i got no signal again.

obviously a HDMI handshaking issue of some sort. Have you tried another HDMI cable? Did you use the same cable with your computer monitor? Is the TV and set to the correct input when you power on the ChromeBox?
(2014-12-03, 17:45)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-03, 16:10)john.cord Wrote: I got my chromebox today and everything went fine setting up a dualboot with chrome os and openelec. I did this on my Computer Monitor. After completing the setup i connected the chromebox to the bedroom TV and bootet it but there is no signal to the tv. If i turn on the chromebox without HDMI Connected and connect it after powering on the chromebox everythin is fine but after i shut down the box or put it in sleep i got no signal again.

obviously a HDMI handshaking issue of some sort. Have you tried another HDMI cable? Did you use the same cable with your computer monitor? Is the TV and set to the correct input when you power on the ChromeBox?

I googled and some people reported the exact same issue on the google support forums. I tried everything and finally found a solution. A simple 2 Port HDMI Switch between the chromebox and the tv. Now the box boots normal with a signal to the tv. Before that i tested different HDM cables and other things like HDMI Port on the TV.

Now another question. What about perfect 24p (23,976) playback on the chrombox? Is there anything to do like modelines or somethin or is it working out of the box?
ASRock Beebox J3160 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Elite BT
Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH 4GB RAM 120GB SATA SSD - Harmony Smart Control BT
all @ Libreelec Testbuild
HP N54L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server / MySQL DB
HP N40L @ Ubuntu 14.04.4 Minimal Server
(2014-12-03, 20:08)john.cord Wrote: I googled and some people reported the exact same issue on the google support forums. I tried everything and finally found a solution. A simple 2 Port HDMI Switch between the chromebox and the tv. Now the box boots normal with a signal to the tv. Before that i tested different HDM cables and other things like HDMI Port on the TV.

Now another question. What about perfect 24p (23,976) playback on the chrombox? Is there anything to do like modelines or somethin or is it working out of the box?

works OOTB, just set the output refresh rate to match the video: Settings-->Video-->Playback-->Adjust display refresh rate to match Video. Requires settings mode to be advanced/expert
So Openlec RC1 still has the intel video driver bug?

I think that's what was causing video to freeze after a period of time and audio to continue.

I at first thought it was because I enabled refresh sync but now I think about it it was probably the intel bug. I'll have to check but I bet the update reset my settings "Use SW filter for VAAPI." I upgraded last night from 4.2.1
(2014-12-03, 20:22)GoodOmens Wrote: So Openlec RC1 still has the intel video driver bug?

I think that's what was causing video to freeze after a period of time and audio to continue.

I at first thought it was because I enabled refresh sync but now I think about it it was probably the intel bug. I'll have to check but I bet the update reset my settings "Use SW filter for VAAPI." I upgraded last night from 4.2.1

bug not yet fixed, workaround setting has changed in 5.0. From the wiki:

System-->Settings-->Videos-->Acceleration: Prefer VAAPI Renderer -- Not Selected
2014-12-02 -- v3.3
------------------------------------------------------------------
- changed the SeaBIOS boot menu to ignore multiple [ESC] key presses (so it won't auto-boot the internal HDD)
- re-enabled visibility of the Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI/HECI) PCI device to the OS (for Windows/OSX users)
- updated the Intel ME firmware to latest version (9.5.14.1904)
- synchronized coreboot/SeaBIOS to latest upstream codebase
- updated script to use OpenELEC 5.01 RC-1 (Kodi 14 RC-1)
- minor script formatting updates
-----------------------------------------

So the new OpenElec update for Chromebox in base on Kodi 14 RC1

I just bought another Chromebox,Is there anything that i need to worry about?
My previous Chromebox is using XBMC Gotham and its works great.

Thanks!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
(2014-12-03, 21:43)movie78 Wrote: So the new OpenElec update for Chromebox in base on Kodi 14 RC1

Thanks!

you can still install OE 4.2.1 (XBMC 13.2) if you prefer, you just need to download and create the install media yourself, vs using the script. Only notable difference from a ChromeBox point of view is the one video acceleration settings change, which is documented in 'recommended settings' section of the wiki (as well as the post directly above yours)
(2014-12-03, 21:54)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-03, 21:43)movie78 Wrote: So the new OpenElec update for Chromebox in base on Kodi 14 RC1

Thanks!

you can still install OE 4.2.1 (XBMC 13.2) if you prefer, you just need to download and create the install media yourself, vs using the script. Only notable difference from a ChromeBox point of view is the one video acceleration settings change, which is documented in 'recommended settings' section of the wiki (as well as the post directly above yours)

Thanks!
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 143(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37