• 16(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2015-03-25, 02:58)Matt Devo Wrote: so which audio drivers is it using - the default 'High Definition Audio device' ones from MS, or the 'Intel Display Audio' ones bundled as part of the graphics driver?

It is listed as the 'Intel® Display Audio'. Here is a screenshot :

No Encoded Formats listed though, so no passthrough of DD or DTS.
(2015-03-25, 17:48)jjd-uk Wrote: No Encoded Formats listed though, so no passthrough of DD or DTS.

Likely becuase its hooked to a monitor that normally doesn't support anothing more then simple stereo audio and not something like an AVR that would support the needed formats
What isnt clear is: is it the drivers, windows 8vs 8.1, or is it something else? I really dont see any reason that usb booting og integrating the drivers into the iso would be a factor here.
(2015-03-26, 02:24)Soli Wrote: What isnt clear is: is it the drivers, windows 8vs 8.1, or is it something else? I really dont see any reason that usb booting og integrating the drivers into the iso would be a factor here.

my money is on #2. There's a boatload of complaints from users in general of HDMI audio breaking when upgrading to Win8.1. NUC owners seemed to need both a driver and BIOS upgrade to resolve the issue. I tried the drivers on Win10TP 9926 and no dice.
Will this still be ok to do if I use a standalone OpenELEC install by pressing ESC at the boot screen?
(2015-03-26, 08:20)D-an-W Wrote: Will this still be ok to do if I use a standalone OpenELEC install by pressing ESC at the boot screen?

yes
Cheers Matt, i will be trying it tonight then.
(2015-03-25, 18:14)Topken Wrote:
(2015-03-25, 17:48)jjd-uk Wrote: No Encoded Formats listed though, so no passthrough of DD or DTS.

Likely becuase its hooked to a monitor that normally doesn't support anothing more then simple stereo audio and not something like an AVR that would support the needed formats

Yeah it's this monitor it seems http://www.amazon.co.uk/VG278HR-27-inch-...B00C841QOA

I've just ordered a hp chromebook for £115 be here tomorrow, gonna triple boot chromeos, openelec and windows 8 (on external SSD USB3.0) gonna test the gigabyte drivers aswell
Looks like it worked first time for me, thanks for the guide.

It's currently connected directly to my Panasonic TV just via HDMI and I have audio (My Onkyo amp and speakers are not yet wired into the new house!).
(2015-03-27, 00:55)D-an-W Wrote: Looks like it worked first time for me, thanks for the guide.

It's currently connected directly to my Panasonic TV just via HDMI and I have audio (My Onkyo amp and speakers are not yet wired into the new house!).

I'm glad it worked for you, D-an-W - it's a bit long-winded as a process but if it means we can run Kodi under Windows without extra audio hardware, more power to all of us Smile
Is there a reason not to also add the Wi-Fi drivers using the same method?

I have one unknown device listed with the Wi-Fi added post install, do you also have this?
(2015-03-27, 08:21)D-an-W Wrote: Is there a reason not to also add the Wi-Fi drivers using the same method?

You're right - there is no reason. On my second installation attempt I included the driver in question along with the others and Wi-Fi got detected correctly. I will modify the guide accordingly.

(2015-03-27, 08:21)D-an-W Wrote: I have one unknown device listed with the Wi-Fi added post install, do you also have this?

Same here, looks like a missing power management driver but didn't have time to find one that works. I'll try again this weekend.
(2015-03-27, 10:54)marcus0 Wrote:
(2015-03-27, 08:21)D-an-W Wrote: I have one unknown device listed with the Wi-Fi added post install, do you also have this?

Same here, looks like a missing power management driver but didn't have time to find one that works. I'll try again this weekend.

if the HWID is GOOG/9999, then it's a dummy device created by the stock firmware and can safely be ignored - there aren't any drivers for it
windows 8 doesn't seem to boot from a HDD using WinToUSB testing 8.1 now but not sure if those drivers for hdmi audio will work on 8.1

EDIT1: Windows 8.1 boots, i will try the drivers...
  • 16(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4