• 17(current)
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes
(2015-08-08, 11:38)Ned Scott Wrote: I haven't tried it, but I'm under the impression that they would have 1080 Netflix.

Which boxes are you talking about Ned? AIUI Netflix 1080p is only available on devices with approved DRM provisions. These tend to be devices which officially come with Google Play Store access (and not via side loading).
(2015-08-07, 17:45)jsevinsk Wrote: Is there a way to install this remote-friendly Netflix app on those ubiquitous Android TV boxes/sticks? I have a couple of those boxes, and the Netflix app from the Google store is really difficult to use without a mouse or a touchscreen.

It's unclear, at the least it would have to run Android TV.

However, the Shield ATV apparently has a specific build due to 4K and probably only works on the SATV which is probably why it comes preloaded.

But there's probably more to it than just flashing a Android TV ROM since the Forge TV has Android TV and the last I heard it still doesn't have Netflix and I don't believe that you can even sideload it.

Some apps are exclusive to some devices or have some limitations as to which devices that they can be installed on even if they are run the same OS version. For instance, Vudu and Amazon both have apps that will run on Sony TVs that uses Android TV, but you can't install those apps on any other device (for now).
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Reading more about this, what is required for 1080 Netflix is Google Widevine DRM support in the firmware. Apparently it doesn't even cost money to license. WeTek has it enabled in their firmware and had users reporting 1080 Netflix, and they're a relatively small company compared to Nvidia, Amazon, etc.

Why Razor is lacking is odd, but I hear their firmware is quite buggy, and they bought OUYA for the OUYA store content. Things like that honestly lead me to believe that Razor has no clue what they are doing.
(2015-08-08, 19:18)Ned Scott Wrote: Reading more about this, what is required for 1080 Netflix is Google Widevine DRM support in the firmware. Apparently it doesn't even cost money to license. WeTek has it enabled in their firmware and had users reporting 1080 Netflix, and they're a relatively small company compared to Nvidia, Amazon, etc.

Widevine DRM implementation is both hardware and software. Yes, once the hardware is in place, it doesn't cost anything more to support it in the firmware. Only Netflix approved devices can get HD streaming and Netflix will only consider devices that are Google approved (which does cost a ton of money). Most of the Android boxes from China/Hong Kong/outside the U.S. are not Google approved. Wetek Play is an exception. I have also seen some early reports of it being able to stream Netflix HD, but I am yet to see a confirmation on this.

Razer Forge TV's case is unique. It is probably some kind of business decision that is holding back Netflix on it.
(2015-08-08, 19:35)wesk05 Wrote: Only Netflix approved devices can get HD streaming and Netflix will only consider devices that are Google approved (which does cost a ton of money).

Razer Forge TV's case is unique. It is probably some kind of business decision that is holding back Netflix on it.

Well, not exactly since the Fire TV devices are also Netflix approved by not Google approved.

As for the Forge TV, yes it is an exception but it still proves the point that it takes more than being an Android TV device.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2015-08-08, 22:38)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-08-08, 19:35)wesk05 Wrote: Only Netflix approved devices can get HD streaming and Netflix will only consider devices that are Google approved (which does cost a ton of money).

Well, not exactly since the Fire TV devices are also Netflix approved by not Google approved.

As for the Forge TV, yes it is an exception but it still proves the point that it takes more than being an Android TV device.

Fire TVs and other Amazon devices run Fire OS (it might be an Android fork, but technically it is not considered as Android OS). Google certification applies only to devices that run Android OS and has Google Mobile Services.
(2015-08-08, 23:26)wesk05 Wrote: Fire TVs and other Amazon devices run Fire OS (it might be an Android fork, but technically it is not considered as Android OS). Google certification applies only to devices that run Android OS and has Google Mobile Services.

Yes. Quite a lot of Smart TVs run a fork of Android under the surface too - even the older ones that aren't branded Android TV. My 2014 non-Android TV Sony Bravia runs Netflix and Android apps via the Sony proprietary app store, but I confused it one day and got an Android volume control on-screen. That got me to thinking, so I looked up the Open Source software it included on the Sony site. Lots of ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) stuff is listed...

Like Fire TV stuff, I think they are treated separately to the mainstream Android apps by Netflix, Amazon etc.
(2015-08-08, 23:32)noggin Wrote: Yes. Quite a lot of Smart TVs run a fork of Android under the surface too - even the older ones that aren't branded Android TV. My 2014 non-Android TV Sony Bravia runs Netflix and Android apps via the Sony proprietary app store, but I confused it one day and got an Android volume control on-screen. That got me to thinking, so I looked up the Open Source software it included on the Sony site. Lots of ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) stuff is listed...

Like Fire TV stuff, I think they are treated separately to the mainstream Android apps by Netflix, Amazon etc.
Interesting... What Sony model was that?
(2015-08-08, 23:23)wesk05 Wrote: Fire TVs and other Amazon devices run Fire OS (it might be an Android fork, but technically it is not considered as Android OS). Google certification applies only to devices that run Android OS and has Google Mobile Services.

I'm not sure who doesn't consider the Fire OS to be technically Android, but as far as I know the only thing that really makes it any different is the Fire Launcher, just as what technically makes Android TV any different from standard Android is the launcher.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. The point was that it doesn't just have to be a Google certified device and we really don't know how Netflix makes the determination as to which devices can stream HD content. Especially given the fact that there is only a small number of (non TV) devices that can do it right now.
(2015-08-08, 19:35)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-08-08, 19:18)Ned Scott Wrote: Reading more about this, what is required for 1080 Netflix is Google Widevine DRM support in the firmware. Apparently it doesn't even cost money to license. WeTek has it enabled in their firmware and had users reporting 1080 Netflix, and they're a relatively small company compared to Nvidia, Amazon, etc.

Widevine DRM implementation is both hardware and software. Yes, once the hardware is in place, it doesn't cost anything more to support it in the firmware. Only Netflix approved devices can get HD streaming and Netflix will only consider devices that are Google approved (which does cost a ton of money). Most of the Android boxes from China/Hong Kong/outside the U.S. are not Google approved. Wetek Play is an exception. I have also seen some early reports of it being able to stream Netflix HD, but I am yet to see a confirmation on this.

It looks like the WeTek reports were wrong. I read various forum posts and all of their testing methods were... not right. Unless something changed between now and then, the test videos on Netflix they used did not report the resolution.

I rebooted my WeTek Play back into Android (it normally runs OE), updated it, updated all of the Android apps, and then played some videos from "Test patterns" on Netflix. In addition to an actual text pattern, it reports the current resolution. It never went above 480. I made sure to be on wired ethernet and compared it to other Netflix devices I have that are 1080 capable.

I should have known better than to trust something I didn't see with my own eyes.
You are the first person Ned that has actually diligently run this Netflix test on a Wetek Play. Its all been anecdotal evidence up to this point. I too have been caught out in the past by sitting on the couch and just eyeballing Netflix resolutions. Wink

So its confirmed then 720x480p Max Resolutiuon, just like the vanilla Android Boxes.

(2015-08-08, 23:38)wesk05 Wrote:
(2015-08-08, 23:32)noggin Wrote: Yes. Quite a lot of Smart TVs run a fork of Android under the surface too - even the older ones that aren't branded Android TV. My 2014 non-Android TV Sony Bravia runs Netflix and Android apps via the Sony proprietary app store, but I confused it one day and got an Android volume control on-screen. That got me to thinking, so I looked up the Open Source software it included on the Sony site. Lots of ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) stuff is listed...

Interesting... What Sony model was that?

TV is KD49X8505

Open Source software is listed here http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/TV/KDL-32W705B.html
(2015-08-09, 10:27)noggin Wrote: TV is KD49X8505

Open Source software is listed here http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/TV/KDL-32W705B.html
Interesting... Have never checked it before. The U.S. equivalent model: 2104 XBR series also have the same ICS components: http://oss.sony.net/Products/Linux/TV/KDL-50W807B.html
(2015-08-09, 09:19)Ned Scott Wrote: It looks like the WeTek reports were wrong. I read various forum posts and all of their testing methods were... not right. Unless something changed between now and then, the test videos on Netflix they used did not report the resolution.

I rebooted my WeTek Play back into Android (it normally runs OE), updated it, updated all of the Android apps, and then played some videos from "Test patterns" on Netflix. In addition to an actual text pattern, it reports the current resolution. It never went above 480. I made sure to be on wired ethernet and compared it to other Netflix devices I have that are 1080 capable.

I should have known better than to trust something I didn't see with my own eyes.
Thanks for checking and confirming Netflix resolution on the WeTek play. I had asked one of their developers and some users to check it, but no one did it Sad I kind of knew that it would be limited to SD streaming.

For those who may want to know the "Test patterns" mentioned here, you can find them here: http://www.netflix.com/title/80018499 There are 4 seasons Shocked Season 1 has the most episodes, 12 of them! Don't forget to read the reviews Big Grin
All I want to do is to streaming films with kodi on my lg intelligent tv. I want a good quality price ratio. Will I be satisfied with the m8 like the Amlogic S802 Quad-Core Cortex-A9? Or do you know better for the price of 63$ US. Is it enough?
  • 17(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes2