• 178(current)
Linux ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]
(2014-12-24, 13:09)movie78 Wrote:
(2014-12-24, 07:06)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-24, 06:47)movie78 Wrote: Hi Matt:

Since the Official Kodi was release today,is our Chromebox going to auto update to Kodi?
OpenELEC betas/RCs, if set to auto-update, will update to all subsequent betas/RCs and the eventual stable release, after which it will auto-update to future stable releases only
kodi update will change the folder structure.
Will this cause an issue with some of us using special skin?
It shouldn't create a problem. But you should backup and read the warnings on the openelec web page. Some skins just aren't helix compatible though.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am really loving this small chrome box dual booting OpenElec and Chrome OS....Thanks Matt for the help getting this setup Smile

The only small niggle i have with this and it stops me using it as my main setup is not being able to download torrents, i bought JStorrent from the chrome store but not many torrent sites support it and it's pretty useless.

Is there a method to get this chrome box dual booting with OpenElec and Linux instead of Chrome OS?

Thanks.
(2014-12-24, 21:55)Jpopgt Wrote: I am really loving this small chrome box dual booting OpenElec and Chrome OS....Thanks Matt for the help getting this setup Smile

The only small niggle i have with this and it stops me using it as my main setup is not being able to download torrents, i bought JStorrent from the chrome store but not many torrent sites support it and it's pretty useless.

Is there a method to get this chrome box dual booting with OpenElec and Linux instead of Chrome OS?

Thanks.

You can just install one of the torrent add-ons for OpenELEC from the unofficial repo.

Once you flash the standalone firmware, you can install any combination of OSes you want (just not ChromeOS), just like any other PC. That's a bit outside of the scope of this script/thread however
(2014-12-24, 22:23)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-24, 21:55)Jpopgt Wrote: I am really loving this small chrome box dual booting OpenElec and Chrome OS....Thanks Matt for the help getting this setup Smile

Thanks.

You can just install one of the torrent add-ons for OpenELEC from the unofficial repo.

Once you flash the standalone firmware, you can install any combination of OSes you want (just not ChromeOS), just like any other PC. That's a bit outside of the scope of this script/thread however

Thanks for the info.
(2014-12-24, 13:10)noggin Wrote: Does the Displayport output on the Chromebox support 2160/60p? (I believe it needs "multi stream" to do this ?)

yes - some reviewers who tested Asus' 28" 4K panel (which does 2160p60 via DP) were actually sent a 2955U ChromeBox to drive it.

(2014-12-24, 15:53)nolight Wrote: Hi Matt, how do you edit the config file from ChromeOS? I went into command prompt and only see the script file 3Tfu5W and a couple of other files.

items that follow in parentheses are notes and/or instructions, otherwise are commands to be typed:
Code:
(create temp dir for mounting)
mkdir /tmp/mnt
(mount partition)
sudo mount /dev/sda6 /tmp/mnt
(open file in editor)
vi /tmp/mnt/extlinux.conf
(use arrow keys to move cursor under first char of text to be removed)
x (repeatedly, until all desired text deleted)
ESC
(save/exit)
:wq!
(should be back at ChromeOS shell prompt)
(unmount partition)
sudo umount /tmp/mnt
(reboot)
sudo reboot

(2014-12-24, 20:27)waterskier1018 Wrote: Bump. Does mapping as a network drive on winPC count at validation for your request above, or do I need to mount the share differently?

as long as you mapped it via SMB - in windows explorer, type '\\diskstation' into address bar, then rt-click and map folder
When I choose ctrl + D there is normal access to chrome OS.
But when I choose ctrl + L I get a grub not found error message.

Can anybody help me ?

thanks.
I have a Asus Chromebox running OE standalone and it never has sound on HDMI after waking from suspend. I followed the instructions in the XBMC wiki regarding the issue but it didn't help. Anyone have any ideas?

Here is the log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=380594
(2014-12-24, 22:46)clvc Wrote: When I choose ctrl + D there is normal access to chrome OS.

Can anybody help me ?

thanks.

what are you trying to boot - Ubuntu? You used the dual boot setup from the script?

(2014-12-24, 22:55)RockDawg Wrote: I have a Asus Chromebox running OE standalone and it never has sound on HDMI after waking from suspend. I followed the instructions in the XBMC wiki regarding the issue but it didn't help. Anyone have any ideas?

after resume, does the audio output device show up under System-->System-->Audio Output?
If not, does running the commands from the suspend/resume script in the wiki manually (via ssh) fix the issue?
i have installed in standalone openelec, very happy with it.
Just one thing i used my 64 GB usb stick to put openelec during the set in the script, now that stick shows only 256mb, is there any way i can format that to recover my 64 gb ?
in window 7 disk manager it also show 256 mb FAT 32 MB primary partition and about 59 gb unallocated. when i right click on unallocated it does not let me format or create a partition on it. any solution advise ?
(2014-12-24, 23:38)malik500 Wrote: i have installed in standalone openelec, very happy with it.
Just one thing i used my 64 GB usb stick to put openelec during the set in the script, now that stick shows only 256mb, is there any way i can format that to recover my 64 gb ?
in window 7 disk manager it also show 256 mb FAT 32 MB primary partition and about 59 gb unallocated. when i right click on unallocated it does not let me format or create a partition on it. any solution advise ?

the OpenELEC installer creates 2 partitions: a 256MB one for the kernel/system images, and the balance of the drive for storage (which is formatted EXT4 [linux] and not recognized by Windows). You do not need to, nor should you try to make any changes to the partition structure unless you want an unbootable USB stick.
(2014-12-24, 23:02)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-24, 22:46)clvc Wrote: When I choose ctrl + D there is normal access to chrome OS.

Can anybody help me ?

thanks.

what are you trying to boot - Ubuntu? You used the dual boot setup from the script?

(2014-12-24, 22:55)RockDawg Wrote: I have a Asus Chromebox running OE standalone and it never has sound on HDMI after waking from suspend. I followed the instructions in the XBMC wiki regarding the issue but it didn't help. Anyone have any ideas?

after resume, does the audio output device show up under System-->System-->Audio Output?
If not, does running the commands from the suspend/resume script in the wiki manually (via ssh) fix the issue?

Yes, dual boot Chrome / Ubuntu. I followed the instructions / script for boot setup, without error messages.
No my audio device is not listed and running the commands manually doesn't make it show up.
(2014-12-25, 00:22)RockDawg Wrote: No my audio device is not listed and running the commands manually doesn't make it show up.

ok, might need to continue this offline then. what AVR (or display) do you have?
hi matt. i have just had the dreaded gpu freeze running rc3 on asus standalone, streaming through a repo. after upgrading to rc3, i went into acceleration, and hit the use recommended settings. is there something that should be change from this? thanks.steve.
(2014-12-24, 22:42)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-12-24, 15:53)nolight Wrote: Hi Matt, how do you edit the config file from ChromeOS? I went into command prompt and only see the script file 3Tfu5W and a couple of other files.

items that follow in parentheses are notes and/or instructions, otherwise are commands to be typed:
Code:
(create temp dir for mounting)
mkdir /tmp/mnt
(mount partition)
sudo mount /dev/sda6 /tmp/mnt
(open file in editor)
vi /tmp/mnt/extlinux.cfg
(use arrow keys to move cursor under first char of text to be removed)
x (repeatedly, until all desired text deleted)
ESC
(save/exit)
:wq!
(should be back at ChromeOS shell prompt)
(unmount partition)
sudo umount /tmp/mnt
(reboot)
sudo reboot

Hi Matt, after I type "vi /tmp/mnt/extlinux.cfg" it becomes a blank screen and I can't proceed. I can't get back to the chromeOS shell so I just exited into ChromeOS and rebooted without unmounting.
  • 178(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ChromeBox Kodi E-Z Setup Script (LibreELEC/Linux+Kodi) [2017/02/21]37