• 19(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
(2019-09-03, 02:22)fandangos Wrote: How much?
- I intend to get a used RX 550, if the money raised is enough for a brand new this will be the case to avoid something going wrong because of a bad gpu.
This gpu costs around $120 excluding shipping.
If the amount is beyond this I'll donate the remains to Team Kodi. 
Remember that paypal has fees. 

What happens if we don't raise the money?
- I'll refund everyone who donated except paypal fees. 

So if you feel you can help getting an AMD gpu here's the link:
DONATE

Thank you!

Hi! I've just donated. Not withstanding the fact that, currently, you seem to have found a solution for AMD, I think it's on everybody's interest that you will be able to first hand test on AMD cards for future developments.

There's one thing that I wanted to ask you about developments, do you think implementing some more advanced scalers (maybe lifting them from mpv) would be within your capabilities? With HDR working, upscaling performance is quite important, especially for 4K screens.

Thanks for all you are doing.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2019-09-03, 00:58)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-02, 22:54)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-02, 02:04)fandangos Wrote: That's really awesome to read! Smile)

Are you using pixel shader as renderer?  
Hey so just to keep you updated, vids are playing great on my AMD Ryzen, not noticing any skipping or performance issues. The only thing i'd say is the colour is slightly washed out, comparison between my Kodi rip of Ocean's Eight and the disc below: 

ImageImage 

Slightly? By the pictures it seems very different.
Is it just the photo?

The comparison is madvr? 

It's my full mkv rip of Ocean's Eight on Kodi against the original disc playing on Xbox.
(2019-09-03, 12:20)ashlar Wrote:
(2019-09-03, 02:22)fandangos Wrote: How much?
- I intend to get a used RX 550, if the money raised is enough for a brand new this will be the case to avoid something going wrong because of a bad gpu.
This gpu costs around $120 excluding shipping.
If the amount is beyond this I'll donate the remains to Team Kodi. 
Remember that paypal has fees. 

What happens if we don't raise the money?
- I'll refund everyone who donated except paypal fees. 

So if you feel you can help getting an AMD gpu here's the link:
DONATE

Thank you!

Hi! I've just donated. Not withstanding the fact that, currently, you seem to have found a solution for AMD, I think it's on everybody's interest that you will be able to first hand test on AMD cards for future developments.

There's one thing that I wanted to ask you about developments, do you think implementing some more advanced scalers (maybe lifting them from mpv) would be within your capabilities? With HDR working, upscaling performance is quite important, especially for 4K screens.

Thanks for all you are doing.

Thank you for your donation, still it works with pixel shader, dxva still the best option and lighter on low end systems.

To be honest I started all this without expecting any results. I have no idea if I could do it.
I'm finishing my graduation as a veterinary and when I can I watch some C++ classes on YouTube.
I can understand C++ much better now but writing code from scratch is really hard.

I would have to give it a go in the future.
Right now what I would like to accomplish is AMD HDR since Nvidia is almost perfect and fix the skip chapter on blurays when playing full discs.

What I wanted to accomplish with this build was a free Blu-ray and uhd Blu-ray player for everyone that has a great interface.
This is almost done Smile
Can I install this side by side with my default Kodi install, or will this overwrite it? I figure it's the latter.
@rd1979

Yes, is possible, install in portable mode, check in the Kodi wiki how procede

https://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable_mode
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
Tested the latest build on both Nvidia and Amd 2400g.

Nvidia seemed to work well. No noticable issues.

For Amd its still not right though. Dxva mode will not put the TV in HDR mode. With Pixel Shader the TV goes into HDR but the colors are wrong. Not washed out like when the TV doesn't switch to HDR mode. Just weird.

TV is 2017 LG B7 OLED. Donated.
(2019-09-03, 12:31)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-03, 00:58)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-02, 22:54)grandmastashi Wrote: Hey so just to keep you updated, vids are playing great on my AMD Ryzen, not noticing any skipping or performance issues. The only thing i'd say is the colour is slightly washed out, comparison between my Kodi rip of Ocean's Eight and the disc below: 

ImageImage

Slightly? By the pictures it seems very different.
Is it just the photo?

The comparison is madvr?  

It's my full mkv rip of Ocean's Eight on Kodi against the original disc playing on Xbox. 

Bluray vs UHD hdr colors will be different, as different color spaces and color grading are done differently on each.
(2019-09-03, 16:05)spencerjford Wrote:
(2019-09-03, 00:58)fandangos Wrote: Slightly? By the pictures it seems very different.
Is it just the photo?

The comparison is madvr?  

Bluray vs UHD hdr colors will be different, as different color spaces and color grading are done differently on each. 
I get that, it's a 4K disc and 4k rip.
We are more than half way there: R$ 278,51 ~= 67 USD, excluding shipping.

I would like to thank everyone who donated!
(2019-09-03, 00:58)fandangos Wrote: Slightly? By the pictures it seems very different.
Is it just the photo?

The comparison is madvr?  

The colours should be exactly the same if ripped directly from disc. After all, the disc is based on the same file.

Unless you’re talking about 1080p Blu-ray vs UHD? In which case I don’t see how this relates to the topic.
(2019-09-03, 18:12)fandangos Wrote: We are more than half way there: R$ 278,51 ~= 67 USD, excluding shipping.

I would like to thank everyone who donated!
That's good! Come on guys, I donated even if I'm on team green. It's for the greater good. Big Grin
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2019-09-03, 19:15)Cinephile Wrote:
(2019-09-03, 12:31)grandmastashi Wrote: It's my full mkv rip of Ocean's Eight on Kodi against the original disc playing on Xbox. 

The colours should be exactly the same if ripped directly from disc. After all, the disc is based on the same file.

Unless you’re talking about 1080p Blu-ray vs UHD? In which case I don’t see how this relates to the topic.

If it's a rip it will be re encoded or compressed to some other format or even to the same format but that will cause color differences. Not huge color difference but there will be some.

If it's a remux the file will be identical but in a different container.

If you are talking Blu-ray and uhd Blu-ray, blurays used rec 709 color space and uhd blu Ray use bt.2020 color space.
This will give you noticeable difference.

If you got your rip online the difference can be all the above plus a different disc region with different encoding, different versions etc.

Also Xbox and PC have complete different ways of handling color. The best comparison would be Kodi vs some player that uses madvr.
@fandangos

I was talking about a direct rip from disc to mkv. These files are not re-encoded or compressed in any way. It’s a lossless transfer which looks identical. No need for iso files unless you want to preserve the Blu-ray menu.

Personally, I use MakeMKV for this task. It strips out unwanted tracks and essentially remuxes the original file without any loss in quality. It is still a rip from disc if that makes sense.
(2019-09-03, 23:12)Cinephile Wrote: @fandangos

I was talking about a direct rip from disc to mkv. These files are not re-encoded or compressed in any way. It’s a lossless transfer which looks identical. No need for iso files unless you want to preserve the Blu-ray menu.

Personally, I use MakeMKV for this task. It strips out unwanted tracks and essentially remuxes the original file without any loss in quality.
To confirm the Ocean's Eight photos came from my UHD copy of Ocean's Eight and my personal lossless MakeMKV rip of that disc which is on my media centre. Both triggered HDR and those were the camera phone photos I was able to take of it. 

I didn't test it on MadVR because I don't have it setup on my PC. If someone can point me towards a convenient player that uses it that's not too tricky to setup i'll happily do another comparison for accuracy.
(2019-09-03, 23:19)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-03, 23:12)Cinephile Wrote: @fandangos

Personally, I use MakeMKV for this task. It strips out unwanted tracks and essentially remuxes the original file without any loss in quality.
To confirm the Ocean's Eight photos came from my UHD copy of Ocean's Eight and my personal lossless MakeMKV rip of that disc which is on my media centre. Both triggered HDR and those were the camera phone photos I was able to take of it. 

I didn't test it on MadVR because I don't have it setup on my PC. If someone can point me towards a convenient player that uses it that's not too tricky to setup i'll happily do another comparison for accuracy.

That's ok your pictures were helpful. I was not pointing fingers or anything, just mentioning that my standard is madvr because it's the best renderer available today for pcs and using two different hardware can give some different results.

I believe I'll soon be able to test both AMD and NV. Comparing both with Kodi and madvr.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9