AMD A4-3400 mini review
I match refresh not resolution, at least that is now how it is working. Having a new problem with the i3 setup. I am getting buffeting on playback not sure what is wrong wi it. Sad
Can temp issues cause buffering? I might need to turn the fans up not sure how hot it is getting now that it's all buttoned up and sitting inside of a cabinet.
not that i know of,,,
Well I swapped out hdmi and network cables, updated bios etc. I also turned up the cpu fan. So far 30 minutes no buffering.
voip-ninja Wrote:Well I swapped out hdmi and network cables, updated bios etc. I also turned up the cpu fan. So far 30 minutes no buffering.

Good to hear.

twice the power eh. would not have guessed that. I3 is not all that bad after all. external GPU certainly hurts the cost. I was able to suffice with internal graphics on the 3 builds we did because the final application allowed it. Definetely ran into limitations of the intel SW etc during my testing but the final consumers did not have EDID or care about 23.976fps

good stuff. thanks for the videos
voip-ninja Wrote:Okay, so here's a new video that directly compares the A4-3400 build to the Intel i3 + GT 520 build.

Worth noting that the Intel build costs about $100 more than the AMD build (give or take $20 or so).

The basic rundown is this;

1. The i3 is faster, but not a WHOLE lot faster.
2. FF/REW and scanning is much smoother on the AMD.
3. Both video cards, when set to match refresh rate to display resolution result in some "resyncing" with my 1080P Plasma. However, the re-syncs were a little quicker with the GT 520.
4. Driver setup on the Nvidia card is pretty much just start to use it. None of the over-scan and other nonsense I ran into with the ATI. Either one works but the ATI might have you scratching your head for an hour while you try to figure out what is going on.
5. The i3 setup, even with the outboard graphics card uses a LOT less energy than the AMD setup. The AMD setup was pulling about 80 watts during testing, the Intel is pulling about 40 doing the same stuff.

Don't forget that my pristine A4-3400 + ASRock A75M ITX is for sale, so please PM me if you are interested! It's a really good setup too, as you will see from the video.

Here's the new movie;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXznGhxNSEA

Thanks for the mini review overall i think this might be the way to go in my new setup.

Few questions:

1. Are you using a 2100 or 2100T CPU?
2. Using the stock intel heatsink/fan? Is it noisy or pretty good as is
3. What PSU to power your system?

Thanks
rufrothy Wrote:Good to hear.

twice the power eh. would not have guessed that. I3 is not all that bad after all. external GPU certainly hurts the cost. I was able to suffice with internal graphics on the 3 builds we did because the final application allowed it. Definetely ran into limitations of the intel SW etc during my testing but the final consumers did not have EDID or care about 23.976fps

good stuff. thanks for the videos

The external GPU was $35 after MIR, so really not bad at all. Nvidia seems to have hit their stride with driver consistency. With the Nvidia rig I encountered no driver weirdness that required me to go in and tweak anything. Color and luminance appears right for both HD and SD video content (default output to my plasma came up as "full RGB").

If I had more time than common sense I would pull the GT 520 out and play around with the on-board graphics, but if I'm going to do more playing it would likely be with XBMC Live or something like that.
I've looked around a bit and did not find it. Would you mind mentioning again exactly all the working parts of your new i3 setup? I know it is an i3 with a GT 520 graphics card, but what DRAM, MB, HHDs, and power supply. Do you have a server that you access your files from?
2x2gb of crucial ram $26 kit on Amazon. Apex MI-008 case with stock 250 watt PSU, $50 on Amazon. Kozuti 40mm CPU cooler that was necessary tomtit under the stock PSU.

I am running into a frame dropping problem in XBMC with this new i3 setup that I was not observing with the AMD build. Still trying to figure it out.
voip-ninja Wrote:2x2gb of crucial ram $26 kit on Amazon. Apex MI-008 case with stock 250 watt PSU, $50 on Amazon. Kozuti 40mm CPU cooler that was necessary tomtit under the stock PSU.

I am running into a frame dropping problem in XBMC with this new i3 setup that I was not observing with the AMD build. Still trying to figure it out.

It might be worth trying the A4 while you still have it with the Nvidia card and see what results that gives.

I have read about other people experiences the dropped frames issue with the intel SB CPU's
The frame drops are being caused by the Nvidia card, I'm sure I would get the same thing with Intel, but more frequently.

Apparently the "workaround" for the Nvidia cards is to input a custom driver frequency to force the card to output closer to 23.976. We'll see how that goes. If I'm not happy with the results I will go back to Fusion or I will get an ATI card.
This is a good thread on the issue:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthrea...324&page=8

How noticeable are these frame drops? From reading the thread some people dont even notice them
Quite noticeable to me (unfortunately), and I notice 3:2 pulldown judder too, so 24fps is preferable on my plasma.

I have a custom resolution of 23.976 working with an Nvidia GT440 and it looks to be pretty much on the nose... now, the problem I have is that XBMC is playing ALL content at 23.976 regardless of original frame-rate. I have the setting "Yes, I tested with the custom July build of XBMC that supports HD audio and I did have it working, but it broke quite a few things, like navigation sounds, skin navigation (Aeon) and 2-channel stereo audio. I decided it was not worth the headache and went back to 10.1.

I have a question of my own though for the experts here. I have an Nvidia 440 + Intel i3-2100. I have finally gotten a custom resolution in the Nvidia controls that appears to be working properly for 23.976 output to my Panasonic Plasma TV... the problem now is that no matter what video source I play (60fps material, etc) it ALL displays in XBMC at 23.976.

I have the "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" set to yes, but it does not appear to be working. MPC-HC is playing these videos at the correct frequency... is there an advanced setting, etc, in XBMC to force this to the right behavior or is there some Nvidia driver setting I am missing?

Thanks.
im not sure on this one,,,
i wonder whats going on,,,
if your saying "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" doesnt work,
means ok course that XBMC doesnt think your display needs to be set at a different
Refresh Rate (FPS) based on the video its playing,,

because 24fps movies cannot play judder-free at 60fps,
Techniques such as 3:2 pulldown are used to correct the situation as much as possible,,,
but from XBMC, the option you need is "Adjust display refresh rate to match video"..

i wonder why its not working,,
you've set your desktop resolution to 1920x1080 24fps
and your trying to play a 60fps movie,
XBMC should change your display refresh rate to 60Hz...

hmm,,,
I have made some strides... with my custom resolution of 23.976 I am down to a few drops in a full movie. It's annoying but I guess I can live with it.

Inspecting my files with codec info instead of media inspector shows that some of my SD content is actually 480i/29.97, this is outputting at 23.976, I guess that the Nvidia drivers do not include a 480 NTSC resolution with this native frame-rate.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD A4-3400 mini review0