Proposed build - can I save $$ anywhere?
bluray Wrote:Nothing easier than W7+XBMC and more options, you can utilize 7mce too.

I can concede that. BUT, the money savings AND the satisfaction of setting up a pure open-source HTPC (from the OS up) is well worth the effort... for me. Cool

My OS of choice for the HTPC: Linux Mint. Why? It's based on Ubuntu (not the most professional but the easier to get documentation and help on forums), plus it's the only one I felt comfortable setting up over the years, after drive-testing a couple other distros. And Mint enhances the plain Ubuntu with codecs preinstalled, etc, which makes it ready-to-go from day one.

I mean, give it a chance, run it live from a USB and see how much you like it (or not). After that you better decide if you want to drop your money on Win7 and Steve Ballmer's private jet Wink
jackh Wrote:I mean, give it a chance, run it live from a USB and see how much you like it (or not).
Since my minimum spec is to be able to bitstream, playback Netflix, Bluray, etc, I wouldn't wast my time on Linux. It is hard enough to setup Linux with Nvidia card. OP will have tougher time with AMD GPU.

jackh Wrote:After that you better decide if you want to drop your money on Win7 and Steve Ballmer's private jet Wink
You have to give up something to fulfil your needs! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:It is hard enough to setup Linux with Nvidia card.)

I couldn't imagine it being easier.

On Debian:
apt-get install nvidia-glx libvdpau1 nvidia-vdpau-driver

That's easier than it is for Windows by time you jump through NVidia's website.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:i couldn't imagine it being easier.

On debian:
Apt-get install nvidia-glx libvdpau1 nvidia-vdpau-driver

that's easier than it is for windows by time you jump through nvidia's website.

+1 +2 +3 !!!!
bluray Wrote:Nothing easier than W7+XBMC and more options, you can utilize 7mce too.

+1

And you can just set XBMC to start up at start up for the appliance feel. Big Grin

Just get you desktop background all black and no bar that way it never looks like it is windows.....
sickpuppies Wrote:Well XP is out then. When I get home tonight I will have a look at an Ubuntu or a XBMCLive install to see if that is the path I want to follow.

AFAIK Linux/Live doesn't support HA with AMD hardware either. You could also try the DSPlayer branch of [WIN] XBMC. XP folks were successfully using it to get hardware acceleration. It takes a couple minutes to get configured but will let you choose which codecs to use for each file type.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106629
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
Beer40oz Wrote:+1

And you can just set XBMC to start up at start up for the appliance feel. Big Grin

Just get you desktop background all black and no bar that way it never looks like it is windows.....

+1
There are OpenElec build for the AMD Fusion lineup (A4, A6, A8 and E-350).

You might want to test it. It's only XBMC though, no internet browser.

As far as maintenance goes, Linux is definitely easier (and faster), once you know how. One central place where everything on your computer is updated (from kernel to browser, etc...). So, no multiple pop-up asking you to update to a new version (needs 2-3 and more mouse clik vs 2-3 mouse click for all updates in Linux). Though you can configure your HTPC so that every program does not try to update.

Again, if you need BD playback, go W7.
It's also smaller on the SSD. Base Debian install is ~500MB. What does Windows 7 need?
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:I couldn't imagine it being easier.

On Debian:
apt-get install nvidia-glx libvdpau1 nvidia-vdpau-driver

That's easier than it is for Windows by time you jump through NVidia's website.
Have you successfully installed Linux with AMD GPU? Can you do Netflix and bitstream with it?
Netflix and bitstream on Linux o.O, not a chance...
darkscout Wrote:It's also smaller on the SSD. Base Debian install is ~500MB. What does Windows 7 need?
If you want to fulfil your needs, you have to give up something? In this case, you give up cash! Smile
eskro Wrote:Netflix and bitstream o Linux o.O, not a chance...
+1! Smile
Windows 7 needs ~16GB...
a 32GB SSD is what i use and its perfect!
PSU: Aywun 320W 24pin 4x Molex 2x Sata $20.60 - this is where I stumble - I don't think I need that much power for my system, but what are the draw backs of having too powerful a supply? Can I burn my components out? Will is "just" draw too much power from the wall? Will it always be noisy, even though it is not going to be performing at peak?

Ohh you will burn your components out alright but only because of a cheap 20$ PSU. PSU's are the one place where you do not want to save a few $. Reliable PSU's should be available for around 50$. Cheap components and no safety features are the only way to make cheap PSU's.

The rated capacity is the maximum that a PSU can put out in a certain temperature range, nothing more nothing less. If your parts don't draw more power the PSU wont force it into them.

I certainly wouldn't buy more than a 380W PSU for your PC. Decent PSU's will have the best efficiency in the 20-90% range generally.
I'm surprised no one brought this up b4 in this thread.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Proposed build - can I save $$ anywhere?0