After Kodi 17.6 install Defender says Trojan Win32/Vigorf.A found!
In your job as a "PC Professional in the real world" do you often report potential issues like this.............. "KODI TEAM -- WAKE UP -- THIS IS AN EMERGENCY" Huh

If so, I'm glad I don't deal with you on a daily basis Smile

Anyway, you crack with the thread, seems like a complete waste of my time trying to reason with you so I'll give up & just leave you to it.
(2017-12-05, 15:51)Newsangel Wrote: Speaking as a PC professional in the real world and former psych therapist. I find it disheartening that:

I've been called both paranoid and dramatic...
Maybe it's the way you said it...
Quote:Just a heads-up.  I tried to install kodi and windows defender reported...
Are team Kodi aware?
Quote:GOT THE SAME ISSUE TODAY
KODI TEAM -- WAKE UP -- THIS IS AN EMERGENCY
since attackers have been injecting bad code into GOOD software these days (if you've been reading the news) I would say there is a good chance it is infected.
One of the above would be a reasonable and level-headed post.
One would not.  IMO, obviously.
So is this confirmed a false positive?
(2017-12-05, 15:51)Newsangel Wrote: Speaking as a PC professional in the real world and former psych therapist. I find it disheartening that:

Contacting MS team should be a priority.

If you cannot SEE the importance of that, then I am beating a dead horse
No one here cares what you do in real life, I could say that I'm Bill Gates or a klingon ornithologist on vacation.

How about letting the team decide their priorities?

You've notified the team about the issue, thanks, you have been given an answer, indeed please stop beating a dead horse that has been dead for years.
I just got the same thing earlier today.
Newsangel

Yes, this is a public forum for reporting issues. But with all your demands and accusations you seem to have gone beyond a simple report.

Please take not of the posts by @FXB78 as they are correct.

You should also be aware that as of a few minutes ago, there have been well over 951,000 downloads of the Kodi 17.6 Installer. Don't know the figures for the Store version as I don't have access to that account but it would be at least that number again.

If there were problems with virus infections, we certainly would have heard about them now. I have two installations of v17.6 and there is no problem.

Are you aware that you can over-ride the blocking decision made by Windows Defender (that gold warning box)?
Are you aware you can check file signatures once downloaded... http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows/...exe.sha256

Rest assured that we have mechanisms in place that would reveal file differences or tampering with files across all the download mirrors. This all assumes you have downloaded Kodi from the OFFICIAL DOWNLOAD SITES.

Logically, with somewhere around 2 million downloads, two users complain of possible virus. It is statistically insignificant.

Hope that appeases you a little.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-12-06, 00:46)Karellen Wrote: Newsangel

Yes, this is a public forum for reporting issues. But with all your demands and accusations you seem to have gone beyond a simple report.

You should also be aware that as of a few minutes ago, there have been well over 951,000 downloads of the Kodi 17.6 Installer. Don't know the figures for the Store version as I don't have access to that account but it would be at least that number again.

If there were problems with virus infections, we certainly would have heard about them now. I have two installations of v17.6 and there is no problem.

Are you aware that you can over-ride the blocking decision made by Windows Defender (that gold warning box)?
Are you aware you can check file signatures once downloaded... http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/windows/...exe.sha256

Rest assured that we have mechanisms in place that would reveal file differences or tampering with files across all the download mirrors. This all assumes you have downloaded Kodi from the OFFICIAL DOWNLOAD SITES.

Logically, with somewhere around 2 million downloads, two users complain of possible virus. It is statistically insignificant.

Which mirrors will work and not work?
(2017-12-06, 00:46)Karellen Wrote: Newsangel

Windows Defender notified me of a threat (Win32/Vigorf) on the kodi-17.6-Krypton-x86 installer downloaded from Kodi.tv.
I have checked the hash and it matches.
I believe it might be a false positive, but will wait on further information.
What further information are you going to wait for? There is no further information coming from Kodi.

Try this site... https://www.virustotal.com

I just downloaded and ran a virus scanner. These are the results. 54 out of 55 have confirmed it is ok. You can even check the file signatures.

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/6f4ae...512521929/

That's the last I will be contributing to this thread for now.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
lol boy oh boy .... i have nod32 smart security  super cranked up for security and viruses .

i am like some all around the world . this file has nothing going on here and  it is safe .   you have me L my ass of so far ...............
i have windows defender , win 7  also , on my pc and i do not get  Trojan Win32/Vigorf.A found.
never liked 10 and will never ever upgrade to it till the day i die ................
People also ask Is Windows Defender a good antivirus?Microsoft's Windows Defender isn't great. In terms of protection, you can argue that it's not even that good. Still, at least as far as its overall standing is concerned, it's improving. ... As Microsoft improves Windows Defender, so must the third-party antivirus software keep pace—or risk falling by the wayside.Jan 26, 2017
(2017-12-06, 03:05)Karellen Wrote: What further information are you going to wait for? There is no further information coming from Kodi.

Try this site... https://www.virustotal.com
 Thanks for clarifying this though it would have been nice if short and simple message would have been written of the blog as many people will bump into this.
Just now tried to download installer and Defender reports a Trojan. so issue not resolved.

Workaround:
Disable real-time scan and download and install Kodi.
Enable real-time scan and let Defender scan system.
Defender will report Trojan Vigorf.A. Take advised action (remove).
Kodi will function properly when Trojan has been removed (if it was a Trojan at all).

Problem solved.
I just downloaded and installed Kodi 17.6, so it looks like this is now resolved with Windows Defender. Panic over....... until next time Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
After Kodi 17.6 install Defender says Trojan Win32/Vigorf.A found!0