• 2(current)
v19 D3D11 and DXVA updates - Beta test builds (merged)
Tested with GTX1060 and no issues that I could tell.
Tested with GTX1050 Ti (Windows 10 Pro x64 1909, Intel i5-4570T), even the trickiest files played flawlessly  Smile Addition to implementing the working HDR-functionality and now this one, awesome work @jogal  Smile  

Actually, these two "issues" have been the main reasons, why I'm still stuck to Kodi DSPlayer 17.6-branch. But now coming Kodi v19 is starting to look very promising from Windows user standpoint.
Windows Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
GPU Nvidia GTX1650, driver 446.14 and then 451.67.
Play in full screen/ full windowed enabled.
Removed advanced setting file.

minor tearing
Edit: Very minor half screen tearing now when i played another HDR movie.
Enabled debug log and trying to capture it.
wabicufewo.kodi (paste)

Misc: Problem when skip scenes (Resolved after upgrading from 446.14 to nvidia latest driver 451.67)
The development nightly and this version if i skip the scenes by clicking on the time bar and jump to exciting scene, then i stop the movie. When at the GUI menu, there will be no GUI sound at the menu.
If i play a movie immediately, the movie image will freeze but the movie time counter will be moving. 
Attached is the debug log.
https://paste.kodi.tv/qikefisodo.kodi

I just need to exit kodi and relaunch again. Then all will be fine.

Playing Gemini man(shot at 60FPS), extremely slight stuttering when playing video.
Attached is the debug log.
ducexoputa.kodi (paste)
2080ti, 9900k
Win 10 19041.329
Nvidia 451.67.
Kodi 4.01

Didn't have any issues with regular content that I could tell, had minor stutter with a HDR file here and there, turning off DXVA acceleration seemed to solve it. Will verify tonight.

Just a note - couple of nights ago, I smashed about 5 episodes of a show, the stutter got really bad on the 4th/5th episode (this was discrete decoder off, accell on) - no option I changed worked. I ending up closing Kodi and resetting graphics driver (shift + ctrl + window + b), and turned dxva accel back off, and it seemed to be ok.

https://paste.kodi.tv/baxahoveya.kodi
(2020-07-11, 19:28)jogal Wrote: I also need afechin's comments about why HEVC frame refs are calculated taking into account system CPU cores? I find it strange...

There is a comment in the code why we add count of cores to refs. It's because a driver may use multi-thread decoding internally and it requires a ref frame for each thread.
In current implementation we should have 6 refs for display queue + number of refs from stream (up to 8 by specification) + refs for each decoding thread.
You can see multi-thread decoding in task manager, there should be a few processes rose by a driver at least I saw this for Intel driver and nvidia driver some time ago.
trying version 4.01 right now clean install the massive tearing is gone but still the odd stutter or something now and then it doesn't feel smooth, just set power to adaptive and vsync to on in nvidia control panel and it still feels the same to me but deffinately on the right path 

windows 10 2004
Nvidia GTX 1660 super
Thank you all for test it out.

My preliminary conclusions is that there are 3 different and independent issues, 2 of them already resolved:

1) Insufficient decoding buffers since always is considered 1 ref frame from stream. Now that @afedchin has confirmed that additional buffers is needed by CPU core (probably not always is used). But in system with 2 cores and stream with 4 ref frames bad things can happen...

However, more normal scenario is 3 refs frames and with today HW CPU 4 cores probably this works..... Now is fixed on 4.0.1

Now: 8 + 8 max. from stream + one by CPU core (logical cores)

in system with 16 cores is used 32 surfaces
in system with 8 cores is used 24 surfaces
in system with 4 cores is used 20 surfaces
in system with 2 cores is used 18 surfaces

before:
in system with 16 cores is used 25 surfaces
in system with 8 cores is used 17 surfaces
in system with 4 cores is used 13 surfaces
in system with 2 cores is used 11 surfaces

2) Big stuttering / tearing (like frames out of place) on GTX 20xx mainly. This is due delay on copy surfaces function (timings issues) and because this only happen when GPU is running at energy saving 300 - 400 Mhz. Is used a previous frame of circular buffer because new one is not yet completely decoded and copied when is read for rendering. This happens at random intervals (2 - 4 seconds) in form of complete frame out of order or big tearing. This is fixed on 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 (pending to confirm if is completely fixed in all cases).

If this is true, advancedsettings flags to disable discrete decoder for NVIDIA would no longer be necessary.

3) Fine stuttering (like judder) on systems with multiple monitors and Windows 10 2004 only. This issue not happen on previous 1903-1909.
And not happens if is used only one monitor. And not happen all the time seems at random periods of minutes.... e.g. 10 minutes perfect and stutterings appears during 2 minutes... then go away 7 minutes....
As said this seems bug introduced by Windows 10 2004 and at this time no idea what is root cause.... Possible workaround is use only one monitor: is sufficient unplug or power off main monitor while is running Kodi on TV.
Since is not related with other issues this happens with discrete decoder disabled too.
i do not use multiple monitors and for me i went to useing the disable discret decoder build as that has perfect playback with it disabled where as the current test does not Sad
(2020-07-13, 17:26)orby Wrote: i do not use multiple monitors and for me i went to useing the disable discret decoder build as that has perfect playback with it disabled where as the current test does not Sad

Using full screen windowed or exclusive?
What Nvidia driver?
Windows 10 "Hardware GPU scheduling" ON or OFF?
Can you post debug log?
was using exclusive mode will test again with full screen window, driver version is 451.48 but will also upgrade to the newer .67 and will try and get a log next time i can take over the TV, GPU schduling was on i believe
(2020-07-11, 23:06)manfeed Wrote:
(2020-07-11, 13:57)jogal Wrote: HOW TO TEST IT

Install over other v19 build as usual. If you were using advancedsettings options for NVIDIA it will not be taken into account in this build (it doesn't matter if they are or not).

Test in full screen exclusive mode and full screen windowed mode (change from GUI settings > System > Display).

Report general impressions (feedback):
Playback smooth? Go away NVIDIA stuttering? Some new issue? etc.

Data of interest:
Windows build, NVIDIA graphics model, NVIDIA drivers # used.
Attach Kodi log for reference (don't need to be in debug mode) https://paste.kodi.tv/
Hi jogal! I admire your work, thanks indeed! I think that I can help you with this, since my specs are:

Procesador (CPU) CPU ocho núcleos AMD Ryzen 7 3800X (3,9 GHz-4,5 GHz/36 MB CACHÉ/AM4+)
Placa base ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - RGB Ready!
Memoria (RAM) 32 GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200 MHz (2 x 16 GB)
Tarjeta gráfica 8 GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3 DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
Drivers Geforce Game Ready 451.48 - 06/24/2020
TV Philips OLED 803 65"
Windows 10 - version 2004
https://paste.kodi.tv/eyafupufel.kodi

I had already tested your HDR build, and I did need the advancedsettings option to prevent the stuttering you mentioned. Now I have tested this new version and I'm sorry to tell you that the stuttering is back, both in full screen exclusive mode and full screen windowed mode. I haven't performed an extensive test, since the stuttering is the most important issue to solve now, but it seems to play as smooth as previously.

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated!

I just tested version 4.0.1... all seems fine now! The stuttering is gone, both in real full screen and windowed.

In case you need the log... https://paste.kodi.tv/lumanuhuqe.kodi

Thanks!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, please click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :)
(2020-07-13, 20:43)manfeed Wrote: I just tested version 4.0.1... all seems fine now! The stuttering is gone, both in real full screen and windowed.

This is very good news!!! It means that the error in number of decoding buffers is real since it is the only change between 4.0.0 - 4.0.1.

Also issue (2) is fixed beacuse now you are ussing RTX 2070 SUPER without disable discrete decoder.
updated drivers and tested full screen and windowed full screen, still little micro tears and judders and jumps, back to the old version and disabled discreetdecoder and working great as always

disable dvxa2 and it worked well but fans kicked in a lot then

log below of dvxa2 enabled and the test build 4.01 
https://pastebin.com/u9RehEN8

Am away tomorrow but will try and work getting g a video uploaded and more testing if needed wednesday
Not sure if it will help as there’s always intermittent minor stuttering and tearing.
Not sure if exiting & relaunching kodi helps.... as it sometimes goes away after doing that.

Now i tried Under graphics setting in windows 10, directly under GPU scheduling, there is a “choose app” for performance.
I tried going to program files/kodi/kodi.exe. Then can choose high performance for GTX1650.

EDIT: Even with the GPU scheduling on and choosing KODI app to have performance, the minor half screen tearing intermittently come and go.
DISCOVERED that if you bring up the OSD menu, the tearing will disappear. Once the OSD menu goes off, tearing will come back.
(2020-07-13, 15:39)jogal Wrote: Thank you all for test it out.

My preliminary conclusions is that there are 3 different and independent issues, 2 of them already resolved:

1) Insufficient decoding buffers since always is considered 1 ref frame from stream. Now that @afedchin has confirmed that additional buffers is needed by CPU core (probably not always is used). But in system with 2 cores and stream with 4 ref frames bad things can happen...

However, more normal scenario is 3 refs frames and with today HW CPU 4 cores probably this works..... Now is fixed on 4.0.1

Now: 8 + 8 max. from stream + one by CPU core (logical cores)

in system with 16 cores is used 32 surfaces
in system with 8 cores is used 24 surfaces
in system with 4 cores is used 20 surfaces
in system with 2 cores is used 18 surfaces

before:
in system with 16 cores is used 25 surfaces
in system with 8 cores is used 17 surfaces
in system with 4 cores is used 13 surfaces
in system with 2 cores is used 11 surfaces

2) Big stuttering / tearing (like frames out of place) on GTX 20xx mainly. This is due delay on copy surfaces function (timings issues) and because this only happen when GPU is running at energy saving 300 - 400 Mhz. Is used a previous frame of circular buffer because new one is not yet completely decoded and copied when is read for rendering. This happens at random intervals (2 - 4 seconds) in form of complete frame out of order or big tearing. This is fixed on 4.0.0 and 4.0.1 (pending to confirm if is completely fixed in all cases).

If this is true, advancedsettings flags to disable discrete decoder for NVIDIA would no longer be necessary.

3) Fine stuttering (like judder) on systems with multiple monitors and Windows 10 2004 only. This issue not happen on previous 1903-1909.
And not happens if is used only one monitor. And not happen all the time seems at random periods of minutes.... e.g. 10 minutes perfect and stutterings appears during 2 minutes... then go away 7 minutes....
As said this seems bug introduced by Windows 10 2004 and at this time no idea what is root cause.... Possible workaround is use only one monitor: is sufficient unplug or power off main monitor while is running Kodi on TV.
Since is not related with other issues this happens with discrete decoder disabled too.
Option 2 is what I used to get, now it's more like Option 3.

I suspect I'm in the number 3 category. I actually hadn't considered it, I'll give it a whirl tonight. I think from memory my problem was my resolution resets after a few minutes when I turn off my main monitor causing Kodi to disappear. Will enabling "Blank Other Screen" have the same effect?
Other misc settings.

HAGS = ON
NVCP Profile for Kodi only is set to Max Performance, Vysnc ON, Monitor Technology is Fixed Refresh, Low Latency is Off (don't know if it makes a difference)

I seem to get the best results disabling the discrete decoder and disabling DXVA2 acceleration - CPU usage during an hdr file is 3 - 5%, so I'm not all that fussed.

Appreciate the work mate!
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
D3D11 and DXVA updates - Beta test builds (merged)0