Not friendly
It would make more sense to release the skin with the fonts.
Or is that asking too much of people like djhHuh
XBMC Frodo 12 - Windows 7 - Asrock Ion 330HT - Aeon Nox
paul, read up on WHY the fonts are hosted elsewhere... it's not done for reasons of wanting to be hard to deal with.
I don't know about all of this... I'm also new to xbmc/aeon, but I managed to figure out where to put the contents of the zip file. Many skins on many different applications are 'installed' that way. And as Hitcher pointed out; the information is available, you just need to take your time and look for it.

I also understand that Team-XBMC wants to have a high-en, user friendly application here, but the information *IS* available to the users, they just don't look for it... Just how many 'my backdrop ain't showing up' threads are there? Or how to get a nightly build? Or how to use the library mode even. Most of those issues is covered in the stickies, but no one even bothers IMHO.

And if you stick to 'stock' Aeon version, without the mods for it 'n stuff, why are you guys talking about Aeon being difficult to set up? No different from other skins, like MediaStream or Transparency! to me.

(with Windows OS in mind, don't know about other platforms: )
One easy way to solve the problem with skin installs is to give the zip file a different extension (like .xbmcs or something) and have XBMC install it on-click, kind of like winamp does with .wal files. I realise the skins I'm comparing here differ VERY much, even aside from the file size, but if you're guys looking for a user-friendly work-around, this could be -a- way to go.

And as for -real- installers (installshield like, or that nullsoft installer) I, personally, wouldn't like installers to clutter up my add/remove programs... And, renaming a zip file or packaging a installer, I know what's quicker.

Anyways, my two cents.

Grtz

Lukas
I thought it was just me.

I don't have anything installed yet and have not used XBMC in two years. But seeing Aeon among other reasons made me want to check it out again. So I am building a box for that purpose. I am a programmer and while doing the research on how to get things up and running I was surprised to see how complicated it appears to be to work with the Aeon skin.

Is it still considered Beta? Because then I can understand the complexity.

Also I would like to say that it is an amazing skin and looks to be worth the trouble. Obviously a lot of hard work has gone into it.
spiff Wrote:paul, read up on WHY the fonts are hosted elsewhere... it's not done for reasons of wanting to be hard to deal with.
hey don't take that tone with me. i were only voicing my opinion
Next time you reply to a post put your brain in gear first
Paul,

Because they probably don't look as good. Instead of being such an asshole, why don't you make some fonts yourself so that they can be included in Aeon.

Once you do that, problem solved.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
spiff Wrote:paul, read up on WHY the fonts are hosted elsewhere... it's not done for reasons of wanting to be hard to deal with.

where can this information be found please Smile
It's something to do with them not being allowed on GitHub.
cheers. have always been curious about it Smile
TaeOH Wrote:I thought it was just me.

I am a programmer and while doing the research on how to get things up and running I was surprised to see how complicated it appears to be to work with the Aeon skin.

<offtopic>
PLEASE don't take this the wrong way as i am just saying this to add a bit of
levity here. I used to be a programmer in another life but i always prefered
General IT. I used to work at a few software houses.

Most (not all) programmers i worked with didn't know shit about computers in the same
sense as when you talk about people being "street smart". They were geniuses
at what they did but ask them to do a simple task in the general os or something out
of their field of expertise and it was funny to see.

One guy burnt 12 copies of a patch to be sent to a customer while trying to
make the volume label be all CAPS. So finally they call the IT department and
i go there and Enables the option to Allow all Uppercase filenames in Windows
explorer's view settings. Lo and behold, the 1st CD he burnt was just fine! Smile

To this day, i get people coming to me with their PCs saying something like :
"My cousin is a programmer and he tried to fix it but it's worse now. I don't
think anything can be done."

I chuckle and fix their problem. :p Big Grin
</offtopic>

-Pr.
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
The fact is Aeon is probably the most difficult skin to get working fully but at the end of the day there is a very detailed step by step guide/faq in the stickies and pretty much any other question can be answered by doing a couple of searches on this forum.

While I agree that it is very annoying that the fonts have to be downloaded separately the reason for this has been explained many many times.

At this point its getting silly with people complaining still about how things are done and how complicated it is to set up. If you're not happy with it or dont have the patience to get it working then use another skin.
The fonts are not included with the AEON source because they are not free fonts (you have to buy them) and it is against github policy to upload that sort of thing to their servers
tslayer Wrote:Paul,

Because they probably don't look as good. Instead of being such an asshole, why don't you make some fonts yourself so that they can be included in Aeon.

Once you do that, problem solved.
So why the insults? I did not insult you or anybody else, its just typical of you xbmc devs to attack or insult anybody who does not agree with you!!!Angry
Jezz_X Wrote:The fonts are not included with the AEON source because they are not free fonts (you have to buy them) and it is against github policy to upload that sort of thing to their servers
Can't say i blame them as they won't want a lawsuit for stolen fonts which all us aeon users are using..... now i wait to get flamed by the devs again.... Laugh
Pr.Sinister Wrote:<offtopic>
To this day, i get people coming to me with their PCs saying something like :
"My cousin is a programmer and he tried to fix it but it's worse now. I don't
think anything can be done."

I chuckle and fix their problem. :p Big Grin
</offtopic>

-Pr.

I don't fix friends PC's anymore, when they ask about something I just give em a blank stare and tell them to Google it. Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Not friendly0