NAS/Server Build - Open Thread.
eskro Wrote:thats my POOFY approved NAS Rig....

(can eventually hold a total of 10 Hard Disk Drives)

[PSU] CORSAIR CX430 430W ATX12V ($45 + $4 - $20 MIR)

sorry, maybe this is a utterly dumb question - but as far as i know the corsair cx430 has 4 sata power connectors - how do you connect the other 6 drives? are there cables that let you connect more drives?
SwissElite Wrote:corsair cx430 has 4 sata power connectors - how do you connect the other 6 drives?

OKGEAR 24" 4pin Molex To 4 SATA 15pin Connector Cable ($7 + $10)
Here's what I'm thinking about building, based off eskro's suggestion above in post #2.

[CPU] AMD Sempron 2.7GHz AM3 45W Single-Core ($39)
[RAM] Kingston 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 1066Mhz ($13)
[MOBO] Foxconn M61PMP-K AM3 MicroATX ($44)
[PSU] Antec Earthwatts Green 380W ($40)
[CASE] Antec Three Hundred ($60)
[TOTAL] $196 USD
unraid license would be extra
Already have (2) 2TB drives, and (1) 500gb drive.

Maybe 2GB RAM if I decide to offload SAB, sickbeard, and couchpotato to the NAS instead of the HTPC.
thats a nice looking NAS Rig spencers!
you could even save $20 by using the --> CORSAIR 430W PSU http://fwd4.me/u88
and you could save another $20 by using the --> Antec TWO HUNDRED Case http://fwd4.me/uL1

[PSU] CORSAIR 430W ($25)
[CASE] Antec Two Hundred ($40)
[TOTAL] $156 USD
Smile 
eskro Wrote:thats a nice looking NAS Rig spencers!
you could even save $20 by using the --> CORSAIR 430W PSU http://fwd4.me/u88
and you could save another $20 by using the --> Antec TWO HUNDRED Case http://fwd4.me/uL1

[PSU] CORSAIR 430W ($25)
[CASE] Antec Two Hundred ($40)
[TOTAL] $156 USD

Questions:
Why are you guys favoring the Foxconn M61PMP-K AM3 MicroATX over the BIOSTAR TA785G3HD? I'm getting close to buying so I'm really gettin' down to "brass tacks" here.

Will start with at least 6 drives (3x1TB, 3x750) - - I know it's silly capacity-wise, but the drives are all paid for - what's cheaper than free? :o
well unRAID basic supports up to 3 HDDs,,,,,

if you have 6, you need the PLUS license... around $70 if i recall....
Carjack Wrote:Questions:
Why are you guys favoring the Foxconn M61PMP-K AM3 MicroATX over the BIOSTAR TA785G3HD? I'm getting close to buying so I'm really gettin' down to "brass tacks" here.

Will start with at least 6 drives (3x1TB, 3x750) - - I know it's silly capacity-wise, but the drives are all paid for - what's cheaper than free? :o

I'll go in for a two-fer (2pack) with a buddy for a PRO registration unRAID.

Any input on the pros and cons between the aforementioned Foxconn and BIOSTAR mobos?
Carjack Wrote:Will start with at least 6 drives (3x1TB, 3x750) - - I know it's silly capacity-wise, but the drives are all paid for - what's cheaper than free? :o

not cheaper, but worth being considered: selling the cheap 1 TB disks on ebay and buying 2TB disks....
Carjack Wrote:I'll go in for a two-fer (2pack) with a buddy for a PRO registration unRAID.

Any input on the pros and cons between the aforementioned Foxconn and BIOSTAR mobos?

I'm reconsidering now since the Foxconn only has 4 SATA, rather than the 6 that the Biostar has.
spencers Wrote:I'm reconsidering now since the Foxconn only has 4 SATA, rather than the 6 that the Biostar has.

it does, but for me, 4 SATA were enough for a 3x2TB unRAID basic NAS Rig...
and anyways, it can expand up to 10 Hard Disk Drives...

you can use the PCI Express x1 slot and insert a SATA card....
like this --> http://fwd4.me/uGF
you gain 2 others SATA ports...
so 2 more HDD just there!
I would get the Biostar because it has 6 ports without an additional controller. Keep it simple if possible.
well in your case spencers, since you have 6 hdd's,
you might go directly with the BIOSTAR TA880GB+ AM3 MicroATX Motherboard ($57 + $8)
I agree!! My FreeNAS mobo has 6 SATA ports and I regret not getting a mobo with 8 ports. Granted, it is a standard ATX full-size mobo.

I absolutely hate SATA controller cards. They can introduce additional hardware incompatibilities or bottlenecks into your system. They can also be extremely expensive for high-quality hardware.
Hi all,

I'm planning to build my unRAID box and the information here has been a great help. I just have a few quick questions.

Is AMD Sempron 2.7GHz AM3 45W Single-Core enough if the unRAID box will also be running the sabnzbd+, sickbread and couchpotato?
or should I move to a higher one?
maybe Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core?

Thanks ^_^
The only thing to consider for the motherboard is number of SATA ports and expandability. Long term you may need to add another SATA contoller so a spare PCIe 4x, 8x or 16x slot is a good idea.

The only reason eskro likes the Foxconn board is that its cheap, there is nothing special or noteworthy about it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS/Server Build - Open Thread.0