Unraid Server Build Advice Please
spencer785 Wrote:think it is worth it to upgrade to a i3 540

nope
your positive this will be powerful enough to stream 2 720p .mkv files at the same time.
spencer785 Wrote:your positive this will be powerful enough to stream 2 720p .mkv files at the same time.

It will do 4 1080p streams over GbE. The CPU is hardly used inside a unRAID box unless you plan to install other services like usenet or torrent stuff.
XBMC Live: i3 530 / GT210 / 2GB / SSD + 2 x Zotac HD01 / 2GB / SSD
unRAID Pro: 6 x 1TB + 2 x 1.5TB + 2 x 2TB + 2 x 500G over GbE
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
okay and also one more question its probably a stupid one. My power supply supposedly is only enough to power my setup and 10 hard drives. Just wondering If i plug the power into all 3 supermicro 5in3 trays do they draw the same power empty as full of hard drives or what. Thanks
JonnyKtyler Wrote:I'm using the COOLER MASTER Centurion 590 case with 9 cd rom bays in the front. It has room for 3 of these Supermicro hard drive enclosures so you can hold 15 hot swappable drives. Works very nice.

$70 for the case + $99x3 for 15 hot swap bays or one of these for $320 shipped.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
spencer785 Wrote:okay and also one more question its probably a stupid one. My power supply supposedly is only enough to power my setup and 10 hard drives. Just wondering If i plug the power into all 3 supermicro 5in3 trays do they draw the same power empty as full of hard drives or what. Thanks

You will need a bigger PSU then.
HP Micro Server: SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, uTorrent, Media Companion, MySQL, MKV Toolnix
I think you be understood my question. I mean to say once you plug in the power to the supermicro 5in3 trays do they only draw power when drives are in there or even when there empty.
If you have the 5in3 is probably because you intend to fill them in sooner or later which will require a PSU capable of handling all the connected drives. The 5in3 won't take too much power when empty if that was your question.
why not 3 x 4-in-3 Hard disk Cage ($25 + $4) for a total of 12 Hard disks?

youtube review --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wj-YMka-NE
darkscout Wrote:$70 for the case + $99x3 for 15 hot swap bays or one of these for $320 shipped.

Agreed - however I think where the nine front bay cases like the CM 590 and the antec 900 make a lot of sense is for folks like me who are looking to add to their investment as they need rather than dump a whole lot into a solution up front. I don't need hotswap in a home media server - if I have to take it down to replace a drive, so be it. With a small initial investment (I bought a 900se at my local microcenter for $79) I can mount a slew of drives in all the included bays until I run out. At that point, I can grow to 15 via a conversion to a 5x3 setup. For me there is no need for hotswap so I'll just build some 5x3 mounts myself, easy enough to bust apart an old cdrom drive and drill some holes, or just bend some sheetmetal.
eskro Wrote:Image
(Extends up to 10 Hard Disk Drives) (canada pricing)
[CPU] AMD Sempron 2.7GHz AM3 45W Single-Core ($37 + $0)
[RAM] Kingston ValueRAM 1GB 240-Pin DDR3 1066Mhz CL7 ($13 + $10)
[MOBO] MSI 760GM-P33 AM3 MicroATX ($60 + $12)
[PSU] CORSAIR CX430 430W ATX12V ($45 + $4 - $20 MIR)
[CASE] Antec VSK-2000 ($44 + $0)

This looks great. I think I will set out to build a replica of your system. Thanks for posting.
no problem kobayashi!
Before you build, have you considered a board with IPMI? I was recently introduced to the feature and you can remotely manage every aspect of your server. All that's needed is a ethernet cable.
xecutionx Wrote:Before you build, have you considered a board with IPMI? I was recently introduced to the feature and you can remotely manage every aspect of your server. All that's needed is a ethernet cable.

Any particular features that you would need on a daily basis which aren't already provided by the unRAID remote management interface?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unraid Server Build Advice Please0