• 21(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
(2019-12-17, 22:10)UTAVATU Wrote: Dear fritsch
(2019-12-17, 21:45)fritsch Wrote:
(2019-12-17, 01:53)UTAVATU Wrote: Dear Hitcher

I have set all settings in Kodi to factory default and when I start or stop movie there is no more such effect. So I have been checking for few hours every option, which may cause such problem and I found it Smile

When I set in Kodi audio passthrough and start or stop movie, the problem occurs +1 volume up. It's only happening, when I configure SHIELD remote control to set volume up and down for my Onkyo TX-NR686. When I disable such function in SHIELD, everything is OK. But I would like to use this option in remote control to ster up my Onkyo TX-NR686 volumes.

I though that it's maybe related with NVIDIA SHIELD options in Display and Sound, Advanced and there, where you may choose which audio should be decoded (Automatic/Manual/No decoding - PCM only). I have set it for manual and PCM only, but volume up +1 still exist.

I don't know why audio passthrough in Kodi and remote control of SHIELD are in conflict.

Maybe above description will tell you more. May you set in your SHIELD the same options to use remote control for your receiver or TV and then set in Kodi audio passthrough and just start or stop movie, and check if you have the same problem?

Sincerely 

There is exactly one point when doing Passthrough, where Android's Volume might be touched. Please make a backup of your kodi configuration and try this test-build: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/Android-ARM6...64-v8a.apk

Volume Increase gone? 

Thank you. I will test it today, but please tell me, do I need to uninstall Kodi 18.5 before installing this new version?

In my earlier post I have attached link to Debug Log, did you review it?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Sincerely 

No need to uninstall, but backup! your kodi settings. Nightly will install "over" the installed version.
If you downgrade (!) later on, it's different.

I did not look at your log. You said, when you enable passthrough and after stopping a video first time, you have that effect - so let's see.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Dear fritsch

(2019-12-17, 22:14)fritsch Wrote:
(2019-12-17, 22:10)UTAVATU Wrote: Dear fritsch
(2019-12-17, 21:45)fritsch Wrote: There is exactly one point when doing Passthrough, where Android's Volume might be touched. Please make a backup of your kodi configuration and try this test-build: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/Android-ARM6...64-v8a.apk

Volume Increase gone? 

Thank you. I will test it today, but please tell me, do I need to uninstall Kodi 18.5 before installing this new version?

In my earlier post I have attached link to Debug Log, did you review it?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Sincerely 

No need to uninstall, but backup! your kodi settings. Nightly will install "over" the installed version.
If you downgrade (!) later on, it's different.

I did not look at your log. You said, when you enable passthrough and after stopping a video first time, you have that effect - so let's see.

Here is a Debug Log with this effect reproduction: https://paste.kodi.tv/oyininunef.kodi

This Nightly build is based on Kodi 19? This effect is, when I start movie for the first time, second, third etc. time, and when I stop movie the same every time, not only first time. Volume increase by one everytime I start and stop movie.

Sincerely
UTAVATU
Dear fritsch
(2019-12-17, 21:45)fritsch Wrote: There is exactly one point when doing Passthrough, where Android's Volume might be touched. Please make a backup of your kodi configuration and try this test-build: https://jenkins.kodi.tv/job/Android-ARM6...64-v8a.apk

Volume Increase gone? 

I have for you some informations, I mean:

1. I have installed kodi-20191217-9b48e644-PR17048-merge-arm64-v8a.apk and it solved my problem, no more volume +1 on start and stop playing movies! Thank you very much! Smile

2. I have also tested the newest nightly build kodi-20191216-c7e9b0b3-master-arm64-v8a.apk and my problem still exist in this build, so this one from the first point is the winner! Will you add this fix to the future nightly builds, so I can download let say the day after tomorrow the next nightly build, which will contain this fix too?

Thank you once more for your help and support.

Sincerely
UTAVATU
Perfect. Sadly we cannot fix this in 18.6 - as there are non-standard Android devices that need that old hack and the whining game will start right away ...

PR is here, feel free to comment: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17048
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Dear fritsch

(2019-12-18, 10:51)fritsch Wrote: Perfect. Sadly we cannot fix this in 18.6 - as there are non-standard Android devices that need that old hack and the whining game will start right away ...

PR is here, feel free to comment: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/17048

So as far as I understand, this AESinkAUDIOTRACK: Remove PT hack for volume will be implemented in every new nightly build of Kodi 19? So it's safe for me, to download the newest nightly build of Kodi 19 from now on?

Thank you once more for your help and support.

Sincerely
UTAVATU
I just pushed it to master. Every nightly starting tomorrow will have it. Furthermore you will also now have "the music stutter" resolved when listening to kodi music, but are on shield home screen. Also: This build includes the modern GetDelay implementation. Videos should now be better in sync. Good luck :-) - nightly will break from time to time
Hi guys new to these forums and first post Smile
I'm hoping someone can please help or shed some light.

I've noticed with HDR content played back in Kodi on my LG C9 that I'm not getting true inky blacks like I do in Netflix (although that's DV), it's most noticeable in transition scenes and looks very similar to a 2% grey screen. Just wondering whether anyone else with a similar setup has noticed this??
I'm running the latest public Kodi version from the Play Store on my Shield 2019 Pro. HDR Picture mode is HDR cinema with oled, contrast and brightness all at default but with TruMotion disabled.

Thanks,
Andy
Also great to know that +1 volume bug will be fixed in a future update!!! Was driving me bonkers and thought it was related to my soundbar. If it makes any difference for everyone else I worked out that changing the Volume Control in Android Sound Settings from IR to CEC stopped this from occurring...however for some reason for me my Logitech Bluetooth keyboard stops workingHuh So if you don't have a Bluetooth keyboard it might be a good temporary fix!
(2019-12-18, 15:19)Andy112 Wrote: Hi guys new to these forums and first post Smile
I'm hoping someone can please help or shed some light.

I've noticed with HDR content played back in Kodi on my LG C9 that I'm not getting true inky blacks like I do in Netflix (although that's DV), it's most noticeable in transition scenes and looks very similar to a 2% grey screen. Just wondering whether anyone else with a similar setup has noticed this??
I'm running the latest public Kodi version from the Play Store on my Shield 2019 Pro. HDR Picture mode is HDR cinema with oled, contrast and brightness all at default but with TruMotion disabled.

Thanks,
Andy

DV currently only works properly with inputstream and netflix plugin. And yeah: TruMotion :-) - I have no idea what those TV people think.

Kodi's renderer works like this:
Every frame that comes on display has a timestamp (we call it PTS, Presentation Timestamp), after PTS has been reached, this frame is not a candidate anymore for displaying. That means, if video exactly matches the refreshrate and we have let's say 60 hz. There is a queue: {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,...} <- simplified form, in reality it's a real timestamp. So we render each of them when display refreshres.

For content not matching refreshrate, it's like this, let's say 30 fps on 60 hz:
{0,2,4,6,8,10,12} -> means: 0 -> 0 1 -> 0, 2->2, 3->2, 4->4, 5->4 etc. - every image is drawn twice (or draw is skipped)

If you know run 24 fps on a 60 hz display, it works like the same, but it's a bit more hard to achieve:
{0, 2.5, 5.0, 7.5, 10, ...} means: you get a natural 3:2 pulldown when playing these ... just by "choosing" the right frame matching a certain time. This works for arbitrary content.

So much about rocket science.

For some special content like playing 24 fps at 25 hz, speedup and PTS changes (same queue) is involved.

Remember: This is simplified - especially the timestamps look different.
Thanks for your reply, yes by the sounds of it, it can sure be like rocket science haha. But fortunately that's not what's causing me issues, refresh rate matching is working as it should but I was more wondering about the non inky blacks I'm experiencing and was curious as to whether Kodi has problems playing back HDR content on Android (hence the grey transition screens etc) or whether it's something with my setup.

Cheers!
Dear Friends

When I was on NVIDIA SHIELD Pro 2017 I had .apk of Google Chrome working, but I cannot find any for 2019 model with Android 9. Do you have a link of working Google Chrome .apk for NVIDIA SHIELD Pro 2019?

Sincerely
UTAVATU
(2019-12-19, 01:09)UTAVATU Wrote: Dear Friends

When I was on NVIDIA SHIELD Pro 2017 I had .apk of Google Chrome working, but I cannot find any for 2019 model with Android 9. Do you have a link of working Google Chrome .apk for NVIDIA SHIELD Pro 2019?

Sincerely
Unfortunately there's no native Google Chrome support for Android TV, so your best bet is to sideload the mobile version apk. Here's the link you're looking for to download.
https://apkpure.com/google-chrome-fast-s...oid.chrome
(2019-12-19, 00:45)Andy112 Wrote: Thanks for your reply, yes by the sounds of it, it can sure be like rocket science haha. But fortunately that's not what's causing me issues, refresh rate matching is working as it should but I was more wondering about the non inky blacks I'm experiencing and was curious as to whether Kodi has problems playing back HDR content on Android (hence the grey transition screens etc) or whether it's something with my setup.

Cheers!

When Mediacodec Surface is active. Kodi does not color processing at all. All done internally by the black box.

Offtopic:
What I realized recently: I have an older 55 inch Samsung TV and connected my FireTV 4K to an AVR and this AVR via ARC to the Samsung. I had very bad gradient when watching UHD BT2020 content with HDR. Yeah - the problem of this old Samsung is: Only the DVI port can use HDR input. I changed the cableing and fine (minus that TV itself won't do audio via ARC anymore, but here I used spdif cable for e.g. Sky Ticket which I use from TV's own applications).
If you have a Denon AVR, you can easily see in its HDMI Information if it's really 10 or 12 bit output or if it's just 8 bit ...
Dear Friends

I have got a strange question about external UHD ROM Drive with USB interface. Is it possible to connect such drive via USB to USB 3.0 port in NVIDIA SHIELD Pro 2019 and watch UHD physical disc from this drive via Kodi or other player? Yes, I know I can connect HDD to USB 3.0 and watch .mkv, .m2ts but the question is about UHD ROM Drive.

If it is not possible, can I connect to my PC and share this drive via network in such case, that Kodi will be able to read such physical drive or at least .m2ts on that disc?

I am talking about this UHD ROM Drive: LiteOn EB1.

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely
UTAVATU
That won't work. All UHD blurays have copy protection.

How to get these from disk to your hard drive is most likely illegal in your country and therefore not covered in my answer.
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1