• 22(current)
Integrated Video Game Emulators
Just a note on sound - please check the system default audio device under xbmc system settings. I thought sound wasn't working when testing the emulators only to realize that the default device it had was not the one I wanted for my computer. Once I changed this sound started working for me (did require an xbmc reboot though for some reason). I'm using Windows but this might help with other platforms as well.

Emulators are running great, awesome work to all involved!
This is something that really excites me for the future of xbmc.

I think I may compile and test this build this week. From reading the thread and viewong the videos etc this build seems absolutly sensational.
(2013-02-25, 13:57)matt77303 Wrote:
(2013-02-25, 03:30)drivesoslow Wrote: Or manually compile and install the emulators

Is there a guide or hints to do that?

Matt
Code:
git clone git://github.com/libretro/libretro-super.git
cd libretro-super
./libretro-fetch.sh
./libretro-build.sh

You'll have to copy the compiled emulators to the appropriate addons subfolder under userdata. You'll be basically overwriting the downloaded emulator with the one you compiled.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1344477
Hey guys,

went snowboarding over the weekend - didn't get much done. to make up for it, and because the excitement here is awesome, i have a special alpha release in store over the next few days Smile

Cheers,
garrett
RetroPlayer releases: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/releases

Donations: eigendude.eth
Don't compile XBMC as root or via sudo, that's not required or desired. The multithreaded compile with -j does run into issues occasionally. A make clean is sometimes needed as well if you run into problems.

I'd love to know what folks are using for controllers and perhaps share key maps I've got Wii, 360, and PS3 hardware but I think the PS3 stuff might be the way to go. Had a little luck with sixaxis code but it went nuts at one point hitting keys and I've left it alone since! I too have no sound in emulators under Linux and haven't investigated - sound works well in XBMC.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
(2013-02-25, 22:13)drivesoslow Wrote:
(2013-02-25, 03:30)drivesoslow Wrote: Or manually compile and install the emulators

Matt
Code:
cd libretro-super
./libretro-fetch.sh
./libretro-build.sh

You'll have to copy the compiled emulators to the appropriate addons subfolder under userdata. You'll be basically overwriting the downloaded emulator with the one you compiled.

Thanks. again.

Matt

(2013-02-25, 22:13)drivesoslow Wrote:

Matt
Code:
cd libretro-super
./libretro-fetch.sh
./libretro-build.sh

Thanks. again.

Matt
Main - LG - OLED65CX6LA 65" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED TV - Yamaha RXV383 - N2plus running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
BedRoom - Panasonic DX-700 UHD TV - N2 running CoreELEC Nexus - Harmony Elite remote
Server - debian based 10TB Media Server 
(2013-02-25, 23:46)garbear Wrote: Hey guys,

went snowboarding over the weekend - didn't get much done. to make up for it, and because the excitement here is awesome, i have a special alpha release in store over the next few days Smile

Cheers,
garrett

Awesome!!
New branch is https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/tree/retroplayer2 . Rebased on master, fixed a segfault in several emulators, and made the buffering scheme in the audio data pathway more memory efficient. As a result i re-enabled sound for the problematic emulators.

Audio delay is still present. Next release will have a GUI setting, for now you can adjust this with
Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <games>
    <audiobuffer>500</audiobuffer> <!-- Audio delay (ms), lower values might cause buffer underruns -->
  /games
/advancedsettings

Okay Garbear, I know just enough Git to be dangerous I have a branch checked out, how do I switch to the new one for testing? If I wanted to switch to main how would I?

Thanks!

P.S. I tried git pull garbearocks retroplayer2 however I had conflicts with mutiple files. I thrashed around and it now says I'm up to date... I'm suspicious Wink
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
@BLKMGK
git reset --hard
git checkout master
git branch retroplayer2
git checkout retroplayer2
git pull garbear retroplayer2
@BLKMGK

The "rebase" part separates my commits and re-attaches them to a new commit. Branches are just pointers to commits, and master points to the most recent one. So rebasing on master looks like this: https://github.com/garbear/xbmc/commits/retroplayer2 . Notice, the last non-retroplayer2 commit is 1 day ago

Pulling retroplayer2 onto retroplayer will look at the most recent retroplayer commit, trace it back to the common origin (the Frodo release 30 days ago), and then apply all commits from master since then in that order. These are applied on top of the retroplayer work, which causes conflicts. Then, retroplayer2 commits are applied on top of that. Two retroplayers is Not So Good.

My choice of git-fu is
Code:
git reset --hard
git fetch garbear
git checkout --track garbear/retroplayer2

I'll try to make sure a `git pull (same branch)` is always safe. When I rebase on master and squash commits and tramper with git history, I'll bump the git branch to the next number and you can upgrade by just checking out the new branch.

Got the new branch building (can I just say how nice it is to be working on an open-source project where source code actually builds?), and there's something funny going on with the Genesis emulator (Genesis Plus GX) or possibly file loading generally. Debug log found here, salient points below:

Code:
01:31:22 T:4356    INFO: GameClient::CStrategyUseHD: Testing if we can load game from hard drive
01:31:22 T:4356    INFO: GameClient::CStrategyUseHD: File is not local (or is inside an archive)
01:31:22 T:4356    INFO: GameClient::CStrategyUseParentZip: Testing if the game is in a zip
01:31:22 T:4356    INFO: GameClient::CStrategyUseParentZip: Zip file is not on the local hard disk
01:31:22 T:4356    INFO: GameClient::CStrategyUseVFS: Testing if we can load game from VFS
01:31:22 T:4356    INFO: GameClient::CStrategyUseVFS: Game client does not allow VFS
01:31:22 T:4356    INFO: GameClient::CStrategyEnterZip: Testing if the file is a zip containing a game
01:31:22 T:4356    INFO: GameClient::CStrategyEnterZip: File is not a zip
01:31:22 T:4356   ERROR: RetroPlayer: Error opening file

The file is local and in a zip (Sonic the Hedgehog 3.zip->Sonic the Hedgehog 3.smd), so I don't know why it claims "Zip file not on local hard disk". This exact setup worked fine for bNES and bSNES (I suspect because they support VFS, though I didn't test that yet). Also, I couldn't figure out how to just pass in the zip as a whole to see if that worked. But the main reason I'm bringing this up is that the Install Emulator menu option popped up every time I clicked on the ROM, and there was no feedback of any kind when loading failed - is that expected behavior? Seems kind of... odd.
96bc7d8692f0a9cd052d12c5cabf96de3eb40c17 should probably fix it

Do you have anyone helping you code on the linux side yet?
Nice work, had to try that! Unfortunately it crashes as soon as I start a game (doesn't matter what emu is used).
I can however sometimes see a couple of frames.
Crashlog looks always like this:

Code:
Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fbdfffff700 (LWP 10708)]
fast_memcpy (to=0x10, from=0x7fbdec078aa0, len=57296) at fastmemcpy.c:197
197            small_memcpy(to, from, delta);
(gdb) bt
#0  fast_memcpy (to=0x10, from=0x7fbdec078aa0, len=57296) at fastmemcpy.c:197
#1  0x0000000000a1bfc5 in CDVDCodecUtils::CopyPicture (pImage=0x7fbdffffec40, pSrc=0x7fbdec0008f0) at DVDCodecUtils.cpp:116
#2  0x0000000000b2e65d in CXBMCRenderManager::AddVideoPicture (this=0x16620a0 <g_renderManager>, pic=...) at RenderManager.cpp:842
#3  0x0000000000b27dde in CRetroPlayerVideo::Process (this=0x33a1de8) at RetroPlayerVideo.cpp:137
#4  0x00000000010ac600 in CThread::Action (this=0x33a1de8) at Thread.cpp:218
#5  0x00000000010ac8b2 in CThread::staticThread (data=0x33a1de8) at Thread.cpp:128
#6  0x00007fbe99b19e0f in start_thread () from /usr/lib/libpthread.so.0
#7  0x00007fbe95a09efd in clone () from /usr/lib/libc.so.6

Somehow xbmc doesn't include the stack trace in the crashlog for me on archlinux, that's why I just added the trace above.
Does that help?
  • 22(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Integrated Video Game Emulators22