• 28(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-05-04, 18:25)Netix Wrote:
(2014-05-04, 16:50)deathtical Wrote: Ran into a problem. What do I need to do next?

OK. So I was following the wiki.

Step 1.1 had no issues.
Step 1.2 had no issues.
Step 1.3 had no issues.
Step 1.4 seems to be doing what it should.
Step 1.5 skipped since I am dual booting.
Step 1.6 seemed to work like it should.
Step 1.7 appears to do what it should.
Step 2.1.1 Skipped since I want to use OpenELEC
Step 2.1.2 Everything seemed to work up until step 6 and this is where things deviated from what the wiki says.

It did reboot but never said it was "repairing" itself. Instead it came up to a "Booting from Hard Disk" and then just sat there... over night. I used the reset switch and it said it did a recovery but after I removed the usb drive and it rebooted I am confronted with a black screen that says...

Quote:SeaBIOS (version -20140214_142106-build123-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu.

Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernal.

If I reboot it and press ESC when prompted it just goes right back to this screen. Where do I go from here? Thanks

When you power up the device smash Ctrl - D on your keyboard and you will get to the Chrome Os screen.. It does that because you've set the firmware boot flag to load to the legacy one and since you don't have anything installed it doesn't load nothing.

(2014-05-04, 21:02)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-04, 16:50)deathtical Wrote: Ran into a problem. What do I need to do next?

OK. So I was following the wiki.

Step 1.1 had no issues.
Step 1.2 had no issues.
Step 1.3 had no issues.
Step 1.4 seems to be doing what it should.
Step 1.5 skipped since I am dual booting.
Step 1.6 seemed to work like it should.
Step 1.7 appears to do what it should.
Step 2.1.1 Skipped since I want to use OpenELEC
Step 2.1.2 Everything seemed to work up until step 6 and this is where things deviated from what the wiki says.

It did reboot but never said it was "repairing" itself. Instead it came up to a "Booting from Hard Disk" and then just sat there... over night. I used the reset switch and it said it did a recovery but after I removed the usb drive and it rebooted I am confronted with a black screen that says...

Quote:SeaBIOS (version -20140214_142106-build123-m2)

Press ESC for boot menu.

Booting from Hard Disk...
early console in decompress_kernel
KASLR using RDRAND...

Decompressing Linux... Parsing ELF... Performing relocations... done.
Booting the kernal.

If I reboot it and press ESC when prompted it just goes right back to this screen. Where do I go from here? Thanks

that screen tells me that you need to hit CTRL-D to get back to ChromeOS to complete the dual boot install.

still tweaking the wiki steps, sorry. 1.7 should be performed AFTER a dual boot install, but before a dedicated one.

It's ALIVE!!!!

Well... mostly. Just need to find a decent wireless keyboard/mouse/remote to use with it. The two I have now aren't playing nice Sad

Any suggestions on that would be nice. I currently have a Logitec DeNovo that won't work at all with it and a iPazzPort Gamer H7 that does connect but key presses are erratic and mouse is pretty much useless. Both work fine on my old Win 7 HTPC. Could be a driver issue maybe. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.
(2014-05-05, 03:44)Veronica Wrote:
(2014-05-05, 02:24)tetsuya Wrote: I finally had a chance to mess with my chromebox and everything is looking really good.
I installed Xubuntu 14.04, installed the 3.14.1 kernel, installed the fermenta ppa, added
the tear-free fix to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf, and tested some of my videos.

The only thing I don't like is the graphic corruption from the SNA acceleration. It dosen't
happen often, but it is annoying. Maybe I should add the Oibaf or the Xorg-edgers PPA.
When I was using the new drivers on 12.04, I rarely had any corruptions and they were
very minor and almost un-noticeable. This only happens on the desktop, XBMC has no
problems.

Now all I have to do is install some emulators and qtsixia.

Thank you, i installed Ubuntu 12.04 installed xfce and removed gnome and unity and other things like firefox, etc.applied the fix you mentioned, though i dont know if it is necessary in 12.04 lts. Any other fixes , stuff that you would recommend? right now im installing the updates and then ill install xbmc and test.

About plex media server in all ubuntu versions i have installed works but has crashed sometimes

rep+ for you, thanks

The fix is only really necessary if your using SNA acceleration. SNA introduced tearing in videos but it's
not going to mess up anything if you use it. It was made the default acceleration back in September for
all new drivers. You can check if SNA is activated by running the following command

Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i sna

It will output something like this (from my Ivy Bridge system). If it dosen't output anything UXA is being used.

Code:
[     4.277] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1 (Timo Aaltonen <[email protected]>)
[     4.281] (II) intel(0): SNA initialized with Ivybridge (gen7, gt2) backend

It can be switched back to the old UXA acceleration if you experience too many problems with graphics by adding
the following line to the 20-intel.conf file

Code:
Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"

You probably want to update the kerne to the latest stable in the mainline. Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline
There were some fixes for Haswell in the 3.11 or 3.12 kernel, I'm not sure which one though. The latest stable in mainline is 3.14.2
and you would need to download three files

linux-headers-3.14.2-031402-generic_3.14.2-031402.201404262053_amd64.deb,
linux-headers-3.14.2-031402_3.14.2-031402.201404262053_all.deb
linux-image-3.14.2-031402-generic_3.14.2-031402.201404262053_amd64.deb
copy them to a folder and run

Code:
sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb

I can't really think of anything else, my chromebox is going to be a bedroom computer that moonlights as a media player.
Thanks, did you installed 32bit or 64 bit version?. I'm setting xbmc but just froze for second time , its been more than 10 minutes and same I'll have to force power off again. Did you have this kind of issues? I really regreat purchasing this box
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
(2014-05-05, 05:32)Veronica Wrote: Thanks, did you installed 32bit or 64 bit version?. I'm setting xbmc but just froze for second time , its been more than 10 minutes and same I'll have to force power off again. Did you have this kind of issues? I really regreat purchasing this box

I installed the 64 bit version and I had one freeze with xbmc when I tried to exit it, but I'm using the fermenta ppa which
has xbmc-14-git devel build and is unstable and can break anytime. You could always press Ctrl-Alt-F1, login and run

Code:
sudo killall -9 xbmc.bin
exit

Then press Ctrl-Alt-F7 and you'll be back on the desktop. I haven't had any problems other than the graphics, but thats
an SNA thing and not really that bad and I could just go back to UXA. Are you going to use this as a desktop or are you
just going to use it as a media player? If it's just a media player you could try OpenELEC from the wiki and be good to
go. I'm just using a dedicated install and not a dual boot install. Are you single or dual booting? You might have had a
bad install or maybe you have a lemon and should exchange it for another one.
This is the problem I have and no button combo works at all when it happens, running debug right now

Asus Chromebox freezing issue: http://youtu.be/MtmYqePujdQ
@tetsuya

Any idea what could cause this : http://m.imgur.com/o8XeQJD only happens on the right side of the screen when I navigate through the menu. It doesn't show when I play a video.
(2014-05-05, 07:33)Netix Wrote: @tetsuya

Any idea what could cause this : http://m.imgur.com/o8XeQJD only happens on the right side of the screen when I navigate through the menu. It doesn't show when I play a video.

It looks like a transparency check pattern. The check pattern is an area that is transparent. I don't really know that
much about that stuff. Is that a custom background or the default? Is the full background there but not scaled all the
way?
(2014-05-05, 08:47)tetsuya Wrote:
(2014-05-05, 07:33)Netix Wrote: @tetsuya

It looks like a transparency check pattern. The check pattern is an area that is transparent. I don't really know that
much about that stuff. Is that a custom background or the default? Is the full background there but not scaled all the
way?

It does that with the original background and custom one. Either way the background take all the screen and the pattern disappear after some time but it reappear as soon as a switch menu.
(2014-05-05, 05:06)tetsuya Wrote:
(2014-05-05, 03:44)Veronica Wrote:
(2014-05-05, 02:24)tetsuya Wrote: I finally had a chance to mess with my chromebox and everything is looking really good.
I installed Xubuntu 14.04, installed the 3.14.1 kernel, installed the fermenta ppa, added
the tear-free fix to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf, and tested some of my videos.

The only thing I don't like is the graphic corruption from the SNA acceleration. It dosen't
happen often, but it is annoying. Maybe I should add the Oibaf or the Xorg-edgers PPA.
When I was using the new drivers on 12.04, I rarely had any corruptions and they were
very minor and almost un-noticeable. This only happens on the desktop, XBMC has no
problems.

Now all I have to do is install some emulators and qtsixia.

Thank you, i installed Ubuntu 12.04 installed xfce and removed gnome and unity and other things like firefox, etc.applied the fix you mentioned, though i dont know if it is necessary in 12.04 lts. Any other fixes , stuff that you would recommend? right now im installing the updates and then ill install xbmc and test.

About plex media server in all ubuntu versions i have installed works but has crashed sometimes

rep+ for you, thanks

The fix is only really necessary if your using SNA acceleration. SNA introduced tearing in videos but it's
not going to mess up anything if you use it. It was made the default acceleration back in September for
all new drivers. You can check if SNA is activated by running the following command

Code:
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i sna

It will output something like this (from my Ivy Bridge system). If it dosen't output anything UXA is being used.

Code:
[     4.277] (II) intel(0): SNA compiled: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1 (Timo Aaltonen <[email protected]>)
[     4.281] (II) intel(0): SNA initialized with Ivybridge (gen7, gt2) backend

It can be switched back to the old UXA acceleration if you experience too many problems with graphics by adding
the following line to the 20-intel.conf file

Code:
Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"

You probably want to update the kerne to the latest stable in the mainline. Index of /~kernel-ppa/mainline
There were some fixes for Haswell in the 3.11 or 3.12 kernel, I'm not sure which one though. The latest stable in mainline is 3.14.2
and you would need to download three files

linux-headers-3.14.2-031402-generic_3.14.2-031402.201404262053_amd64.deb,
linux-headers-3.14.2-031402_3.14.2-031402.201404262053_all.deb
linux-image-3.14.2-031402-generic_3.14.2-031402.201404262053_amd64.deb
copy them to a folder and run

Code:
sudo dpkg -i linux*.deb

I can't really think of anything else, my chromebox is going to be a bedroom computer that moonlights as a media player.

its been two days since i applied this and had had no freezes but ill keep testing for a whole week and report back. dont know which one did the trick though.

i only cant seem to wake it up after many hours turned on so i guess ill have to shut it down before go to sleep. please let me know when there is a fix for this, resume, suspend and hibernate
Had a really odd thing the other day... was working fine for over a month on dual boot config with Ubuntu 14, and XBMC running on top of that and then suddenly NFS just stops working. Could see any mounts within XBMC, and couldnt manually mount when back in Ubuntu.

Had to do a kernel update back in Ubuntu to fix...
I received my Asus Chromebox today. Trying to follow the guide on wiki.xbmc.org, but for some reason I'm unable to putting the Chromebox in recovery mode. I'm pressing the recovery button (using a paperclip), then pressing power... but all it does is take me to a black screen. When I try to reboot Chrome OS is loading again and nothing has happened.
(2014-05-06, 18:49)asleulv Wrote: I received my Asus Chromebox today. Trying to follow the guide on wiki.xbmc.org, but for some reason I'm unable to putting the Chromebox in recovery mode. I'm pressing the recovery button (using a paperclip), then pressing power... but all it does is take me to a black screen. When I try to reboot Chrome OS is loading again and nothing has happened.

after you press power, remove the paperclip. You should feel a button press with the paperclip.
Hi Matt. Yes, that is what I'm doing, yet nothing is happening, only a black screen. Tried a bunch of times, buy no luck Sad
(2014-04-26, 09:34)Matt Devo Wrote: [...]
(2014-04-26, 06:17)jsp1 Wrote: I did the Bios update manually, I'll double check it for reference, but I prefer the straight Openelec setup since my K400 isn't recognized until OS boots up, so I have to use wired usb keyboard for CTRL+ commands (Pain in the ass). Is it possible in the future to get a built in boot menu that supports some kind of wireless input or is that a hardware or bios restriction?

it's the K400 that's the issue. I picked one up thinking it would be ideal but returned it when I realized it didn't work until later in the boot process. My wireless K360 works fine however.

Not only the K400. I was hoping to use the Samsung bluetooth keyboard (VG-KBD2000AZ) designed for my Samsung smart TV. The keyboard supports two additional bluetooth connections in addition to the TV connection, which in theory would allow switching back and forth between the TV and Chromebox as needed. They keyboard also includes a trackpad to control the mouse cursor. Unfortunately, it is not recognized on initial Chromebox boot, so I can't choose between Ctrl-D for ChromeOS and Ctrl-L for OpenELEC. So I finally broke down and changed the firmware bootflag with sudo set_gbb_flags.sh 0x489 to go straight to OpenELEC. If I ever want to go the ChromeOS I'll have to plug in a wired USB keyboard (ugh). A further difficulty is that OpenELEC does not seem to remember my bluetooth keyboard, which means I have to ask it to connect every time. Which also means I need at least an extra wireless mouse to get to the bluetooth menu. Not the most elegant setup, I'm afraid, but at least it works.
(2014-05-06, 21:01)Hostirad Wrote:
(2014-04-26, 09:34)Matt Devo Wrote: [...]
(2014-04-26, 06:17)jsp1 Wrote: I did the Bios update manually, I'll double check it for reference, but I prefer the straight Openelec setup since my K400 isn't recognized until OS boots up, so I have to use wired usb keyboard for CTRL+ commands (Pain in the ass). Is it possible in the future to get a built in boot menu that supports some kind of wireless input or is that a hardware or bios restriction?

it's the K400 that's the issue. I picked one up thinking it would be ideal but returned it when I realized it didn't work until later in the boot process. My wireless K360 works fine however.

Not only the K400. I was hoping to use the Samsung bluetooth keyboard (VG-KBD2000AZ) designed for my Samsung smart TV. The keyboard supports two additional bluetooth connections in addition to the TV connection, which in theory would allow switching back and forth between the TV and Chromebox as needed. They keyboard also includes a trackpad to control the mouse cursor. Unfortunately, it is not recognized on initial Chromebox boot, so I can't choose between Ctrl-D for ChromeOS and Ctrl-L for OpenELEC. So I finally broke down and changed the firmware bootflag with sudo set_gbb_flags.sh 0x489 to go straight to OpenELEC. If I ever want to go the ChromeOS I'll have to plug in a wired USB keyboard (ugh). A further difficulty is that OpenELEC does not seem to remember my bluetooth keyboard, which means I have to ask it to connect every time. Which also means I need at least an extra wireless mouse to get to the bluetooth menu. Not the most elegant setup, I'm afraid, but at least it works.

The K400 does still require usb keyboard to get into ChromeOS. However, it works great for Openelec, it is worth the $20-25 for the convenience...but I am still looking for an all in one option. I have an old lenovo remote (keyboard with rollerball) that I have been meaning to get around to trying. Until there is a device that works wireless during initial boot I would be hesitant to recommend the device as a dual boot option. On the other hand I haven't been able to see much value in ChromeOS (only my opinion) and as such the box makes a great dedicated OpenELEC box. A bit overpowered maybe for the application but that is better than not having enough.
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8