5.1 Passthrough - ARC Windows 10 - Sony KDL-40EX725 ARC with Samsung HT-H5500
Do you have Sync Playback to Display enabled? As it needs to be disabled for passthrough to work, see https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Player/V...to_display
(2021-01-03, 19:52)zillion42 Wrote: Playing 5.1 from Windows 10 neither works from SMPlayer, nor VLC, I have yet to try Plex.

so this is not a kodi issue and not an issue with win10.
i am using wasapi on windows 7 since 2013 (old nuc)
and now for a couple months on very similar hardware that you have (same APU - 4650G, also win10, driver 2020.11.2).
i have an avr that shows what signal it receives (dts, dts-hd, dd, dd truehd etc). everything works correctly.
mpc-hc + lav filters also passthrough correctly.
(2021-01-03, 20:35)ciukacz Wrote:
(2021-01-03, 19:52)zillion42 Wrote: Playing 5.1 from Windows 10 neither works from SMPlayer, nor VLC, I have yet to try Plex.

so this is not a kodi issue and not an issue with win10.
i am using wasapi on windows 7 since 2013 (old nuc)
and now for a couple months on very similar hardware that you have (same APU - 4650G, also win10, driver 2020.11.2).
i have an avr that shows what signal it receives (dts, dts-hd, dd, dd truehd etc). everything works correctly.
mpc-hc + lav filters also passthrough correctly.

How is it not a problem with Windows or Kodi, it works in Linux, so yes, it's definitely either Windows or Kodi (SMPlayer,VLC,Plex,etc.)
Which Receiver do you have ? Can you recommend a reasonably priced one ?
(2021-01-03, 23:59)zillion42 Wrote: How is it not a problem with Windows or Kodi, it works in Linux, so yes, it's definitely either Windows or Kodi (SMPlayer,VLC,Plex,etc.)

kodi is not the issue because you said wasapi is not working for you in general (in a couple different apps) under win10.
win10 is not the issue because it is used by many htpc enthusiasts for hdr playback (not supported under other OS)
with avrs/prepros and gear much more expensive than for ex mine.

i don't use linux, maybe pulse is doing something strange underneath like intercepting all audio, reencoding it and sending it to the real output device.
or maybe your motherboard bios is buggy/outdated or you use some application that you install out of habit and its also using with wasapi (only 1 app can use wasapi exclusive mode).

i use a gigabyte a520i ac mobo with 1st hdmi to lg cx oled and 2nd hdmi to denon avr-2113 (avr is old and does not support hdmi 2.0/hdr).
i am sure that basically ANY 5.1 avr manufactured in the last 7-8 years would work with my setup. i just prefer denon/marantz.
i don't know if your speakers/sub could be easily connected to an avr.
also i dont think that your home theater/bd player is a factor here, wasapi should work with just the htpc and tv alone.
(2021-01-04, 00:54)ciukacz Wrote:
(2021-01-03, 23:59)zillion42 Wrote: How is it not a problem with Windows or Kodi, it works in Linux, so yes, it's definitely either Windows or Kodi (SMPlayer,VLC,Plex,etc.)

kodi is not the issue because you said wasapi is not working for you in general (in a couple different apps) under win10.
win10 is not the issue because it is used by many htpc enthusiasts for hdr playback (not supported under other OS)
with avrs/prepros and gear much more expensive than for ex mine.

i don't use linux, maybe pulse is doing something strange underneath like intercepting all audio, reencoding it and sending it to the real output device.
or maybe your motherboard bios is buggy/outdated or you use some application that you install out of habit and its also using with wasapi (only 1 app can use wasapi exclusive mode).

i use a gigabyte a520i ac mobo with 1st hdmi to lg cx oled and 2nd hdmi to denon avr-2113 (avr is old and does not support hdmi 2.0/hdr).
i am sure that basically ANY 5.1 avr manufactured in the last 7-8 years would work with my setup. i just prefer denon/marantz.
i don't know if your speakers/sub could be easily connected to an avr.
also i dont think that your home theater/bd player is a factor here, wasapi should work with just the htpc and tv alone.
Yeah, well,

I think I could connect my speakers to any AVR, it's just a shame for perfectly working hardware to be replaced by a new system just because it won't work due to software related issues. It actually sucks, big time. Nevertheless, just going to boot linux if I want to watch movies.

Anyone in here with a PC->TV-> via ARC->AVR Setup ?
Successfully running multichannel audio on windows ? I doubt it.
(2021-01-04, 04:21)zillion42 Wrote: Anyone in here with a PC->TV-> via ARC->AVR Setup ?

then why don't you test just the tv without ht with wasapi under win10?
(2021-01-04, 04:21)zillion42 Wrote: Anyone in here with a PC->TV-> via ARC->AVR Setup ?

There's plenty with similar working setups. How about checking what I asked? as currently your logs shows the system is not initialising audio in passthrough mode.
(2021-01-04, 10:44)ciukacz Wrote:

then why don't you test just the tv without ht with wasapi under win10?
ciukacz, if I connect the TV directly to the pc without the receiver (with wasapi or directsound) it works, it's just stereo (TV has 2 speakers only). Anyway that's already how it is connected. So If I unplug the receiver from the TV, the sound switches from Receiver Speaker (Stereo) to TV Speaker (Stereo). I think you need a drawing to help you understand the cabling.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec21sub/enhanceda...urnchannel
That diagram is for eARC, but it's the same principle.
(2021-01-04, 12:19)jjd-uk Wrote:

There's plenty with similar working setups. How about checking what I asked? as currently your logs shows the system is not initialising audio in passthrough mode.
jjd-uk, thanks for the suggestion, I ignored your answer because of course I checked that Sync Playback is off.

I still doubt anyone has a working ARC connected Receiver under windows.
(2021-01-04, 14:36)zillion42 Wrote: iukacz you still don't get it do you ? If I connect the TV directly to the pc without the receiver with wasapi it works, it's just stereo, anyway that's already how it is connected. So If I unplug the receiver from the TV the sound switches from Receiver Speaker (Stereo) to TV Speaker (Stereo). I think you need a drawing to help you understand the cabling.

i know how arc works Smile i don't think it was stated anywhere in the thread that 2.0 wasapi works for you, you just said that 5.1 does not.
and when i asked you for ubuntu logs from nuc you pointed to 4650g logs so... Smile
(2021-01-04, 14:47)ciukacz Wrote:
(2021-01-04, 14:36)zillion42 Wrote: iukacz you still don't get it do you ? If I connect the TV directly to the pc without the receiver with wasapi it works, it's just stereo, anyway that's already how it is connected. So If I unplug the receiver from the TV the sound switches from Receiver Speaker (Stereo) to TV Speaker (Stereo). I think you need a drawing to help you understand the cabling.

i know how arc works Smile i don't think it was stated anywhere in the thread that 2.0 wasapi works for you, you just said that 5.1 does not.
and when i asked you for ubuntu logs from nuc you pointed to 4650g logs so... Smile
There is no need to see the NUC logs, they are the same as the ryzen, they both work under linux with 5.1 and both work under windows, only 2.0

Ubuntu NUC log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/ojunezahil.kodi
Ubuntu Ryzen log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/ubosoqavuz.kodi

Windows Ryzen log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/nufupufuhu.kodi
Windows Ryzen Debug log:
https://paste.kodi.tv/jogekizape.kodi

I can't make NUC boot windows atm, NUC is busy doing something else.
I see you tried installing newer AMD drivers, did you delete all the audio drivers from the system before doing that? including the Realtek drivers? Realtek drivers have been known to cause strange things even if the device they are for is not in use. If not I'd try completely removing all audio drives and installing from scratch only installing the AMD HDMI driver.
Also none of the Kodi audio setting screenshots you've provided include the top part of the settings screen.
(2021-01-04, 15:30)jjd-uk Wrote: I see you tried installing newer AMD drivers, did you delete all the audio drivers from the system before doing that? including the Realtek drivers? Realtek drivers have been known to cause strange things even if the device they are for is not in use. If not I'd try completely removing all audio drives and installing from scratch only installing the AMD HDMI driver.
zillion42 Wrote:I have reinstalled Windows - to make sure my custom EDID override self signed drivers don't interfere. I'm not messing with custom self signed monitor.inf drivers this time.
I have installed chipset drivers and the newest radeon driver - did not install Realtek audio. I created a System Restore Point.
I also disabled Onboard Audio (Realtek) in BIOS.

EDIT: The top part of the audio settings says WASAPI device Stereo
EDIT2: Strangely enough, the Ryzen Windows kodi.log shows Realtek devices indeed. Will double check that again later.
(2021-01-04, 18:01)zillion42 Wrote: I also disabled Onboard Audio (Realtek) in BIOS
EDIT: The top part of the audio settings says WASAPI device Stereo

there are some significant differences in the logs.

ryzen win log says it supports upto 192khz but all bitstream formats (same as my avr).
ryzen ubuntu log says it supports 384khz (really? i don't think hdmi goes that far...) but only dd/ac3 (strange combination).
to me this looks like ubuntu does some magic underneath.

i would recommend you play that test file i linked earlier with spoken channel names under ubuntu not just to test if a channel is playing
but if *only the correct* channel is being played.

my hdmi audio driver is AMD High Definition Audio Device, version 10.0.1.16, dated 4/1/2020

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5.1 Passthrough - ARC Windows 10 - Sony KDL-40EX725 ARC with Samsung HT-H55000