• 30(current)
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)
(2015-06-01, 01:22)busta.rhymes Wrote: Full RGB Range confirmed in future Update ;-)

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic...5/#4549985

Thank you for the follow up. Luckily, my TV does allow changing modes.

It is now much better after changing the Video Mode to 3 on my Kuro: (RGB 16-235)
iMac, Pioneer Elite PRO 141FD, Denon 4311CI, Synology DS509+, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Logitech Harmony Home Control, nVIDIA Shield Android TV
Yes my tv seems to be happy with its settings aswell.

Any thoughts to my question here:

(2015-06-01, 13:28)busta.rhymes Wrote: So i am just experimenting with kodi and i have the switch frame rate to media option and the sync to display option activated. I hope this is correct this way.

So my 720 an 1080p files get started with the tv mostly showing 1080p 50hz with a lot of tv shows. Mediainfo says they are encoded with 25fps. See below.

Then other tv shows make the tv got to 1080p 24hz .. the show is encoded with 23.976fps. See below.

So i was just concernd with it switching to 50hz when playing those first type of files... Is that the correct way to handle it?
(2015-06-01, 14:51)busta.rhymes Wrote: Yes my tv seems to be happy with its settings aswell.

Any thoughts to my question here:

I have switched off 'sync display' since it was not recommended (in the past) for 23.976 output and when using surround sound/passthrough.

Shield seems to play 23.976 files at 24p fine (did not notice any visible blips)

Your issue might be that 25p is still not a supported mode (guessing) and so defaults to 50p.
iMac, Pioneer Elite PRO 141FD, Denon 4311CI, Synology DS509+, SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime, Logitech Harmony Home Control, nVIDIA Shield Android TV
Well the 25fps files sort of jutter at the 50hz ... The look of the jutter looks somewhat similar to a slow motion effekt but without the slowness.
Is there any option to get rid of that. Ill try turning sync to display off.
Yeah, noticed too that the 50Hhz is not smooth, but waited for someone else to confirm Wink
24Hhz is fine, though, for strange reasons.

I'll investigate...
(2015-05-31, 09:35)wolfbiker Wrote:
(2015-05-31, 02:48)hdmkv Wrote: Main UI has 'recommended' content based on your installed apps/usage, which can't be customized (to me, a waste of the best real estate there)
In the settings you can choose which apps you want to display recommended content. Turn them all off, or enable only the ones you want to see recommendations from.
I'm not seeing any option to do this. Where in settings exactly? Thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2015-06-01, 15:53)Koying Wrote: Yeah, noticed too that the 50Hhz is not smooth, but waited for someone else to confirm Wink
24Hhz is fine, though, for strange reasons.

I'll investigate...

turned off the sync to display but cant realy say it fixet it all. that slowmoish seems to be a bit better then but the playback still runs kinda wierd. Cant even say if it realy helped at all or im imagining it. :-D
It is my understanding that "sync to display" is a non-functional option on Android systems (Koying can correct me, If am wrong). I have mentioned it on Nvidia forums, none of the output refresh rates are exact on the SHIELD. 24 is 23.999, 60 is 59.998, 50 is 49.998. Only Intel Z37xx systems have perfect refresh rate outputs on Android (No 23.976 or 59.94). For folks hypersensitive to stutter these offsets may produce noticeable stutter. I didn't notice any stutter with 50Hz (25fps, 50fps) playback, but then I only checked one clip for a minute or so. I will check again.
Its funny caus a lot of my tv shows are 720p 25fps, and this is the mode whre it kinda sucked... so it would be bad if that wont work to get fixed. But well see... I wish the best results to koying :-D
What are you guys doing with MPEG2? In my case, via Koying's dev builds, when watching live TV (1080i, 720p), I need to disable deinterlacing after stream/video plays to get decent playback. If not, there's shakiness/judder, especially in movement and camera pans.
My HT
(2015-06-01, 19:50)hdmkv Wrote: What are you guys doing with MPEG2? In my case, via Koying's dev builds, when watching live TV (1080i, 720p), I need to disable deinterlacing after stream/video plays to get decent playback. If not, there's shakiness/judder, especially in movement and camera pans.

Nothing. Installed the HDHomerun LiveTV app but I didn't see a way to disable deinterlacing. So I'm not really using the box at all yet. I did notice for one of my documentaries (h264 1080i) the only deinterlacing available was bob and bob-inverted. No advanced deinterlacing?
With HDHR Android app and Kodi add-on, you're right. But, if you use PVR within Kodi (I'm using this solution with my 2x HDHR units), disabling deinterlacing is possible. But, a pain to have to do it everytime.
My HT
MPEG2 is software, so you should have "Software - Blend" also. Is there an issue with that one, too?
My range of 1080ixx is limited, so a sample where the issue is obvious would be nice.
Yes, that option is there, and as with 'Bob', it does help with smoother playback. However, with or w/o deinterlacing enabled, I'm noticing a lot of skipped frames:
- http://i.imgur.com/zXpVrFj.jpg
- http://i.imgur.com/gM2B7L4.jpg
My HT
(2015-06-01, 20:06)Koying Wrote: MPEG2 is software, so you should have "Software - Blend" also. Is there an issue with that one, too?
My range of 1080ixx is limited, so a sample where the issue is obvious would be nice.

Blend is not great for motion rendition as, AIUI, it doesn't deinterlace to field-rate, unlike Bob, Yadif 2x etc.
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield (Android TV set-top box)9