Google Nexus Player
(2015-02-23, 17:24)trvbone Wrote: "WAF" What is this

That your wife / girlfriend doesn't complain
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
WIFE ACCEPTANCE FACTOR
"nothing Dear..sh!t guys I got to go Sad "
(2015-02-22, 23:37)unix4linux Wrote: I have been trying to get my Nexus Player (running right now with Kodi 14.1 x86) to stream Live TV. I can stream 720p and lower definition TV just fine for a few minutes but then it starts to get chopping/skipping/and eventually it can't even handle the stream any longer.

I have tried this on x86 and ARM for version 14.1. My PVR is ServerWMC as well as WMC on Windows 8.1. I can play back any movies in 1080p that are stored on my network but streaming Live TV is impossible on 1080i channels. 720p and lower start off fine but after about 10 minutes, they start to get choppy as well.

My TV Tuner is an HDHomeRun Extended. I tried to reproduce the issue on my computer to see if it was something with the tuner but Kodi on my computer streaming live tv even on 1080i channels works like a charm. With that said, are there some limitations with the Nexus Player to stream Live TV?

Thanks
It probably can't handle the HD MPEG2 streams. Have you tried using lower bit rate transcoding profiles on your HDHomeRun?
(2015-02-23, 18:21)pcdude Wrote:
(2015-02-22, 23:37)unix4linux Wrote: I have been trying to get my Nexus Player (running right now with Kodi 14.1 x86) to stream Live TV. I can stream 720p and lower definition TV just fine for a few minutes but then it starts to get chopping/skipping/and eventually it can't even handle the stream any longer.

I have tried this on x86 and ARM for version 14.1. My PVR is ServerWMC as well as WMC on Windows 8.1. I can play back any movies in 1080p that are stored on my network but streaming Live TV is impossible on 1080i channels. 720p and lower start off fine but after about 10 minutes, they start to get choppy as well.

My TV Tuner is an HDHomeRun Extended. I tried to reproduce the issue on my computer to see if it was something with the tuner but Kodi on my computer streaming live tv even on 1080i channels works like a charm. With that said, are there some limitations with the Nexus Player to stream Live TV?

Thanks
It probably can't handle the HD MPEG2 streams. Have you tried using lower bit rate transcoding profiles on your HDHomeRun?
I actually haven't. That's a good thought. I'll try it in the morning and I'll let you know.

On another note, what if I run Kodi on my PC and use some sort of client on the Nexus Player to stream from my Kodi Server/PC? Is that a better alternative? Are there any good streaming clients for Kodi that I could possibly test on my Nexus Player?
Tried to search the forum but "OTG" is too short of a phrase to search.

Anyway, I'm running a FireTV and 2 FireTV sticks at home. Looking for a device for my parents which will run Kodi with Netflix, HBO Go, etc. They have WiFi (so scraping will work) but not a computer/NAS to serve files so FireTV and FireTV sticks are out ... need USB hard drive support.

I'm holding out hope for the Forge TV but right now the Nexus Player seems like the best bet.

Two questions:
1) I've read the Nexus Player supports USB OTG, but does anyone use it as your Kodi file location base? Ideally, I'd like to go to their house, plug in a thumb drive with movies/shows, go in to Kodi, scan for content changes and clean database, and just have "Movies" and "TV Shows" showing the new things from the thumb drive. Is this possible? Can I plug in a USB OTG in the Nexus Player and have it seen by Kodi sources, and not change (drive letter, path ... something like that). I can teach them to plug in a thumb drive and scan for changes, but anything beyond that will be a lost cause.

2) Just from reading the last few pages it seems the ARM version of Kodi runs better so why not run SPMC instead? People sideload Kodi x86 and ARM on the Nexus Player, and I've done it with the FireTV (ARM), but since the Nexus Player is straight Android TV with the Play Store, can't you just install SPMC from the play store and be up and running quickly without any issues?
(2015-02-26, 17:47)essential Wrote: 2) Just from reading the last few pages it seems the ARM version of Kodi runs better so why not run SPMC instead? People sideload Kodi x86 and ARM on the Nexus Player, and I've done it with the FireTV (ARM), but since the Nexus Player is straight Android TV with the Play Store, can't you just install SPMC from the play store and be up and running quickly without any issues?

Not sure what you're reading, I am one of the few that finds ARM better than x86.

I tried SPMC today after reading your post, nice to know about. Unfortunately it constantly crashes when trying to play anything, so not useable.
Arm huh? which build?
Anyone trying any of the newer builds 4.2 or 5.0 Alpha? Just checking on any noticeable issues before testing them out.
I did a factory erase/reset of my NP last night. I wanted to have a clean install after all the playing around I had done as a new Kodi user. First thing I did was install SPMC instead to see if could work without crashing as I had earlier experienced, nope. Still crashed every time I tried to play something.
One other restriction I noticed was next to no audio out settings, so even if it didn't crash, not sure if it would support and multichannel format.
I reset it again and installed Kodi again. One issue I had in the past was my WiFi was always losing connection. I did buy yet another USB to Ethernet adapter (this time it was a USB 3 one) last week, but my speedtest results showed it was doing half of what WiFi was and I would get stuttered playback occasionally. At least if the WiFI dropped out, I still had some connection. So after the reset and one night of no use (it only drops out when not being used) I still had a WIFI connection this morning, and it has been one bar higher in connection strength since the reset too which is odd.

I have installed the x86 version of 14.1 again to see if I get the same issue as last time, so far so good.
I had to stop playback of a movie 20mins in due to the constant stuttering. I loaded the ARM of 14.1 and had no further issues with the rest of the movie.
i use 15.0 x86 daily and no problems
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-03-02, 15:18)Martijn Wrote: i use 15.0 x86 daily and no problems

Did 14.2 not get the daydream pull request from chainsfire?

I could have sworn this already worked in one version I tried, but perhaps I'm mistaken
I'm mistaken. Found it, guess it's not coming till 15?

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/5449
It's in SPMC.
There are 2 bugging problem with this:
- There is no api to close daydream, so there is no way to disable it if you use Kore or Yatse
- On AFTV, there is no way to tell it NOT to sleep, so you cannot use a Kodi screensaver at all

So I'll probably add an advanced setting to keep the wakelock as we do today
Thanks Koying.

On another note . . . for my network, after running the NP as a daily driver I've found that I have to add network options under advanced settings to cache internet and local content as well as double the standard cachemembuffer for smooth playback (not for all videos but needed for quite a few of my full BD rips)
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Google Nexus Player7