• 32(current)
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
@hceuterpe
Have you found a good solution to reducing file size while retaining DV and True-HD? The extended LOTR rips are over 100GB even after stripping out other languages.
(2021-04-07, 07:32)JimVR4 Wrote: @hceuterpe
Have you found a good solution to reducing file size while retaining DV and True-HD? The extended LOTR rips are over 100GB even after stripping out other languages.
I just built a bigger NAS.
Dolby vision is mostly about quality, if I am going to reduce the quality I may as well strip the DV out in my opinion, some may say that some Dolby Vision encodes are just snake oil, but the ones that are done well are worth it.

One interesting thing I've noticed is the significant difference in size between Dolby Vision MEL vs. FEL encoded movies.  The DV MEL supplementary track is miniscule to the point you wouldn't care.  I've seen the FEL tracks upwards of 15% of the main HEVC 2160p track.  I'm guessing FEL is the variant that provides a greater bump in incremental quality?  Ultimately, if you're specifically interested in playing back mkv files with DV intact, you're likely remuxing, and as @JimVR4 pointed out, you're putting a priority on quality over size.
(2021-04-07, 20:12)ashishkumarji Wrote: MKVToolNix hasn’t been updated to support DV yet so the mkv file it creates doesn’t have the DV data. Fortunately MakeMKV restores that DV data!
Not sure where you got this information but I can say for fact that MKVToolnix was able to join the two extended 4k UHD discs for each of the three movies, strip out the 4-5 seconds of black between movies and retain the DV layers as well as the Dolby True-HD audio.
(2021-04-07, 07:50)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
I just built a bigger NAS.
Dolby vision is mostly about quality, if I am going to reduce the quality I may as well strip the DV out in my opinion, some may say that some Dolby Vision encodes are just snake oil, but the ones that are done well are worth it.

Yes, I agree that quality should not be sacrificed!  Removing other language audio tracks reduced Return of the King Extended  from 172GB down to 132GB.  My storage is about 10TB but I'm not looking to fill it up that fast.
(2021-04-07, 03:44)movie78 Wrote: Are getting the best DV output or are getting something else, depending on the media device we are using?

It depends. If your TV only supports player-led DV and you have Kodi on an external device such as the Nvidia Shield, you might get suboptimal output as explained by Vincent in that video.
On the other hand, if you have Kodi installed on the TV directly, output should be accurate but there's typically no support for profile 7 with full enhancement layer (12-bit UHD Blu-ray DV) so that will most likely revert to HDR10 or not play at all.

In case of TV-led DV, both external device and internal app should probably have optimal output. I'm just wondering if TV-led DV also implies the TV itself could decode profile 7 with FEL...
(2021-04-07, 23:29)JimVR4 Wrote:
(2021-04-07, 20:12)ashishkumarji Wrote: MKVToolNix hasn’t been updated to support DV yet so the mkv file it creates doesn’t have the DV data. Fortunately MakeMKV restores that DV data!
Not sure where you got this information but I can say for fact that MKVToolnix was able to join the two extended 4k UHD discs for each of the three movies, strip out the 4-5 seconds of black between movies and retain the DV layers as well as the Dolby True-HD audio.
There's really no proper support yet. MKVToolnix can only preserve DV metadata if the input is also mkv with DV metadata. If you try anything else (mp4, ts, raw hevc stream) it will just ignore the DV part.
(2021-04-05, 21:09)KrispyKreme Wrote: any good skins out there that show the Dolby Vision icon on those specific movies?

I believe Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix does this.
I've run just about every DV UHD Disc title I own (about 50) through makemkv. There's not one title I've found that I haven't been able to play. The biggest issue is occasionally the movie won't play on the first attempt. Looking around the Internet, @fandagos I wouldn't put too much effort into fixing this, as it's almost looking like it might be a Shield problem itself (I've even seen this behavior in Movies Anywhere and Vudu as well for DV enabled titles, albeit not as frequently).

The only title that chokes sometimes is The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug. I'm having the Audio dropout problem with lossless codecs that's seemingly mitigated with setting the Kodi audio output to Raw instead of the internal Kodi IEC Audio packer. So I normally roll with the Raw setting. When set to Raw this particular title with high level of regularity the audio cuts out every second or less. Ironically seems ok when I set to the internet IEC packer..

For folks having issues glitching issues, I set the RAM cache settings to cache resulting 96MB (I can post the exact figure if you'd like it). Despite being wired via gigabit Ethernet and my file server capable of over 1GB/s (yes big B) the Shield seems to have difficulty keeping the cache full when the video+audio bitrate exceeds 90Mbps, using the internal Kodi SMB service. Surprisingly a low rate. Enabling that is probably helping me. The problematic Hobbit movie has over 100Mbps combined bitrate when it first starts unlike the other movies so I suspect that might be contributing to it.
hi 

i am running kodi19 official on my Chromecast w Google TV. DV mkvs do show up in pink/green but DV mp4s seem to work fine....

..up to a point when playback starts to glitch out, eventually hard-crashing kodi (and CCGTV sometimes). 

this is running from an emby server. If i use the emby android app instead of kodi, no glitching, no crashing.

So my question: does OP's kodi fork from this thread fix the aforementioned issue? or will i encounter same problems as with stable , i.e. DV in general still being WIP and i should be patient. thanks
(2021-04-09, 15:04)theo08 Wrote: hi 

i am running kodi19 official on my Chromecast w Google TV. DV mkvs do show up in pink/green but DV mp4s seem to work fine....

..up to a point when playback starts to glitch out, eventually hard-crashing kodi (and CCGTV sometimes). 

this is running from an emby server. If i use the emby android app instead of kodi, no glitching, no crashing.

So my question: does OP's kodi fork from this thread fix the aforementioned issue? or will i encounter same problems as with stable , i.e. DV in general still being WIP and i should be patient. thanks

Try this test build maybe? - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/19429
(2021-04-09, 15:04)theo08 Wrote: hi 

I'd say try setting cache. This is not set by default and is an advanced feature. Example 4 is almost identical to my configuration (except I set for an even 128MB). Then enable the debug codec output (ctrl-shift-o) and just watch. I bet you'll notice the cache dips from full far more often than you'd think, especially at high bitrate. For my 2019 shield pro, this mark seems to begin to occur at 85Mbps video bitrates and above...

Otherwise I set my refresh change delay from 2 seconds to 3. This resolved the audio glitching with both Bumblebee and Desolation of Smaug.
thanks for your replies!

so you're saying this is not actually a DV playback problem but a general buffering problem? i will look into that.

i was under the impression that "normal" HDR UHD mkvs (even high-bitrate) played just fine. but i'll have a closer look
I dont know if this buffering problem is common, but i realised when i play rar then DV movie buffering about every 10-20sec times. Now i test only that movie mkv and its fine, over 15minutes and still not buffering. Rar play buffering when movie intro start and so on.
RAR addon version is  4.0.0
I use Sony android tv, wifi connection and this thread first post 32bits arm build.
I have playback issue with DV MKV where I have to push play multiple time before the movie starts.

Playback log
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
  • 32(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV0