• 33(current)
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV
(2021-04-13, 14:47)movie78 Wrote: I have playback issue with DV MKV where I have to push play multiple time before the movie starts.

Playback log

Expected.
This is to avoid broken playback.

The shield has some problems with DV playback.
(2021-04-13, 15:02)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-04-13, 14:47)movie78 Wrote: I have playback issue with DV MKV where I have to push play multiple time before the movie starts.

Playback log

Expected.
This is to avoid broken playback.

The shield has some problems with DV playback.

Hey thanks for the quick response, is there future update to fix this or any other media player that handle Kodi better.
MY CURRENT MEDIA PLAYER | MY HOME THEATER
MINIX NEO U22-XJ COREELEC v19 MATRIX | EGREAT A10 | NVIDIA SHIELD | LG 75 NANO90 DV/HDR+ | Sony 43 Android TV HDR
XBOX SERIES X  | PS4 PRO 4K | JBL 9.1 System 5.1.4 DTS:X/ATMOS 
New here, but been using this Kodi version since early Jan and loving it. It's ingesting all DoVi UHD remuxes I'm throwing at it with no problems. Playing back with Shield 2019 (Tube) on the Hisense H9G (Q9G).

This may be a stupid question, so please bear with me if it's been covered already -- does this version of Kodi playback Full UHD Blurays the same way it does with mkv/mp4 's ? i.e. does it support Dolby Vision if I play the individual TS files? I am not fussy about full menu structures etc, just the video file itself
(2021-04-14, 04:42)snoshy Wrote: New here, but been using this Kodi version since early Jan and loving it. It's ingesting all DoVi UHD remuxes I'm throwing at it with no problems. Playing back with Shield 2019 (Tube) on the Hisense H9G (Q9G).

This may be a stupid question, so please bear with me if it's been covered already -- does this version of Kodi playback Full UHD Blurays the same way it does with mkv/mp4 's ? i.e. does it support Dolby Vision if I play the individual TS files? I am not fussy about full menu structures etc, just the video file itself

IIRC no to ISO files and DV. If memory serves me correct, yes to HDR10. Also Kodi doesn't cache movies in ISO format so yet another reason to stick to mkv, especially if it's stored remotely and accessed over SMB.
(2021-04-11, 13:35)theo08 Wrote: thanks for your replies!

so you're saying this is not actually a DV playback problem but a general buffering problem? i will look into that.

i was under the impression that "normal" HDR UHD mkvs (even high-bitrate) played just fine. but i'll have a closer look

I suspect so, especially if you're also using SMB. I came across the first title that cannot be reliably played over SMB as an mkv:. Tremors. The bitrate is consistently too high, that eventually the cache exhausts itself because the Shield is unable to keep it filled, and once exhausted playback stutters like crazy.
I'm using Kodi 19.0 build from this thread and also Kodi 18.9 official.
The way I search and launch movies is by an app called Syncler. I used to have the option to select one of the two Kodis installed on my Shield. For some reason, since the last 19.0 build in this thread, I can no longer select this kodi to play movies. As if the Shield is not aware I have it installed, so when the Syncler app asks me which media player I want to use, I only have Kodi 18.9 in the list with VLC and MX Player, but no Kodi 19.0.

I tried re-installing the 19.0 build in this thread but it still doesn't appear. So it used to work but no longer does. Can anyone suggest how to get this build to be available in any 3rd party app that asks me which player should I use?
(2021-04-15, 04:13)gil80 Wrote: I tried re-installing the 19.0 build in this thread but it still doesn't appear

Have you checked your complete apps list?  In my system I have two, the official 19.0 and this forked 19.0.
(2021-04-14, 09:40)hceuterpe Wrote:

so you're saying this is not actually a DV playback problem but a general buffering problem? i will look into that.

i was under the impression that "normal" HDR UHD mkvs (even high-bitrate) played just fine. but i'll have a closer look

I suspect so, especially if you're also using SMB. I came across the first title that cannot be reliably played over SMB as an mkv:. Tremors. The bitrate is consistently too high, that eventually the cache exhausts itself because the Shield is unable to keep it filled, and once exhausted playback stutters like crazy.
so what is a good buffer amount to set in advanced settings for a device like shield pro?
Thank you.
(2021-04-16, 06:55)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2021-04-14, 09:40)hceuterpe Wrote:

so what is a good buffer amount to set in advanced settings for a device like shield pro?
Thank you.
For a movie like Tremors.  Basically no amount will allow you to play it without exhausting it and then buffering.  At least over the SMB built into Kodi.   I suspect Gemini Man would also induce this, but that's a particularly rare and corner case, since it's both DV FEL (IME, FEL DV tends to be substantially more overhead than the other P7 DV types) and 59.94fps.  That latter bit is what really sets that title apart, especially with the higher bitrate.

Example 4 is probably fine, here: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache  I tried setting it to double that amount, but tbh it didn't really result in an appreciable benefit.  You need to heed the warning, and DO NOT set the cache value to 0. If you do you will likely wear out the 16GB flash chip in your Shield in short order and kill the device.

@fandangos :  Btw I came across my first DV glitch.  Not sure what happened, but after playing an DV-enabled mkv in Kodi, it resulted in a black screen.  That perpetuated to basically DV playback with any other app I had, such as Prime, Movies Anywhere and Vudu.  I actually had to restart my Shield to fix it.  It's almost like the engine/codec (or whatever it is) that handles DV playback crashed.  I haven't been able to reproduce it though, just that one time.  Still thought it would be worthwhile.

One other thing, I have noticed a few times that Kodi gets rather stubborn and repeated failsly to play a particular mkv title (like even after 3 attempts). The best resolution I've found so far is actually exit the app completely (with the "power icon" next to settings) and relaunch the app.  I'm pretty sure if you see the splash screen when you select Kodi from the home screens, that means it's launching completely, instead of just resuming from app sleep.
[font][font]Buenas siento mi inglés google traductor.

Hello, I'm sorry, my english google translator.
 I use a chromecast Google tv x Red 1G.  Movies are on a Nas by NFS,smb.
 I have only managed to play a movie with Dv.  Wonder woman 1984. Mkv ok No problem.  👍
 Los croods 2.mkv ko starts but returns to the kodi interface.👎
 Love and monsters.mkv ko starts go back to the kodi interface👎
 Beetlejuice.mkv ko starts go back to the kodi interface👎
 With exoplayer dv and a file explorer.  No problem they all work.
 Is there any solution.[/font][/font]
Hi folks,

I installed latest Kodi from google play store on my Android Sony TV (which supports DV). On my Sony TV, dolby vision mkvs are not detected as DolbyVision however. Kodi does detect them as Dolby, but when I press Play, my TV does not detect them as Dolby Vision, but as NON-Dolby Vision HDR. What Am I doing wrong?
Not reading at least a very 1st post here.
(2021-04-18, 02:29)eric_m91 Wrote: What Am I doing wrong?

Installing the store version and not this specific version.
It might not work on Sony TVs since every android device has it's own set of decoder names for Dolby Vision.
(2021-04-16, 02:03)JimVR4 Wrote:
(2021-04-15, 04:13)gil80 Wrote: I tried re-installing the 19.0 build in this thread but it still doesn't appear

Have you checked your complete apps list?  In my system I have two, the official 19.0 and this forked 19.0.
In my complete list I have 2 Kodis.
18.9 and 19 (the build from this thread).
But for some reason, it doesn't appear in Syncler when I use the Play With and I don't know if it's a Kodi issue, Android issue or something else.
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV0