• 39(current)
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S805
(2016-03-28, 13:07)feathers Wrote: Some of the newer channels here in Aus are h264.

Ah - so finally Aus is escaping the clutches of MPEG2? You guys (along with North America, Japan and Korea) have suffered a bit from having MPEG2 as an HD TV codec. (Albeit you got HD earlier - though I hear the Aus HDTV adoption was a slightly rocky road, with some 576p along the way)
Yes a couple of stations are finally duplicating their main channels with 1080i H264.
Even 576 interleaved H264 looks better than the mpeg2 equivalent, especially upscaled on a 55" 4K TV.

Its all been typically political, but Netflix and other 1080p HD streaming services has actually accelerated Broadcast H264 implementation. Finally !

One of the the new H264 576 channels is broadcasting in this, from MediaInfo:

Code:
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 54s 960ms
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 576 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Standard : PAL
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : MBAFF
Scan type, store method : Interleaved fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Not that familiar with Interleaved, broadcast TV.

Interleaved = interlaced I think (though it could be how the fields are sent, as theoretically I think you may be able to send fields as separate consecutive items or encoded as a frame, with interleaved fields, which with MBAFF then allows you to use block-by-block interlaced or progressive encoding?). Whenever you see the word field it suggest interlaced.
(2016-03-28, 13:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes a couple of stations are finally duplicating their main channels with 1080i H264.
Even 576 interleaved H264 looks better than the mpeg2 equivalent, especially upscaled on a 55" 4K TV.

Its all been typically political, but Netflix and other 1080p HD streaming services has actually accelerated Broadcast H264 implementation. Finally !

Code:

We've probably been luckier. We launched MPEG2 SD 16:9/4:3 (i.e. 576i) in DVB-T in 1998. When we went HD we introduced DVB-T2 (which allows around 50% more data to be carried than DVB-T) as new boxes/TVs were needed for HD anyway. This allowed us to go H264 for 1080i (initially 1440x1080, now 1920x1080), and any SD channels on T2 muxes are also H264. (There are some SD services that can only be received on HD sets)

Unlike France, Ireland, NZ, Norway etc. we didn't go for H264 over DVB-T.

Most DVB-T-only countries must be looking at DVB-T2 migration. Germany has started and will be using H265/HEVC to even further improve efficiency, and will be the first major adopter of 1080/50p (not 50i)
(2016-03-28, 13:54)wrxtasy Wrote: Yes a couple of stations are finally duplicating their main channels with 1080i H264.

Code:

Is c2 on your radar with openelec or c1 is the only device that you consider from hardkernel?
(2016-03-28, 15:16)discovery Wrote: Is c2 on your radar with openelec or c1 is the only device that you consider from hardkernel?
wrxtasy has, I believe, a C2. OpenElec porting is non-trivial - but I know wrxtasy has it on his radar. AMLogic releasing S905-based devices is very promising too - as they contribute to open source development.
Its been a while since I've done a OpenELEC build for the old C1+
The C1+ raw CPU speed was not quite up to software decoding full motion YADIF 2x so it just uses YADIF for problematic Interlaced mpeg2 DVD's Smile

OpenELEC 7.0.0 - Kodi Jarvis 16.1 Final

- Update libamcodec video decoder for improved video quality. Especially noticeable when viewing Interlaced TV.
> No more strobing bright red/pink/green/fluro colors.
- Fixed the lost Kodi settings bug. They are now saved immediately after changing.
- The PVR EPG search bug is fixed.
- Added a Thumbnail cleaner switch
- Added a user adjustable - mpeg2 / mpeg4 - hardware / software video decoder setting for decode flexibility.
- A bunch of performance improvement tweaks like Thumbnail loading speedup and ffmpeg demuxer.
- And the long awaited fix for stuttering Interlaced DVD playback, using my YADIF mpeg2 software deinterlacing mod. Smile
NOTE - the SSH password has changed to ol as I'm sick of typing openelec

Thanks to Koying and the Krypton Kodi devs for some of these fixes.

OpenELEC-Odroid-C1-7.0.0-Kodi.Jarvis.16.1.Final.SD.card.img.gz HERE
OpenELEC-Odroid-C1-7.0.0-Kodi.Jarvis.16.1.Final.tar HERE

W Smile

Thanks @wrxtasy. What could be the reason that HD videos are resized at half screen in Kodi?
The Video Axis is not given the correct display co-ordinates for the scaled up picture once Kodi auto switches resolutions from:
720/1080p----->>>2160p.
This affects all 2160p capable AML hardware like S802/812/905 running all versions of Kodi.

(2016-05-20, 23:00)wrxtasy Wrote: The Video Axis is not given the correct display co-ordinates for the scaled up picture once Kodi auto switches resolutions from:
720/1080p----->>>2160p.
This affects all 2160p capable AML hardware like S802/812/905 running all versions of Kodi.

Thanks man . But I have this issue with 1080/24 screen also. Amy hint?
(2016-05-20, 18:08)wrxtasy Wrote: Its been a while since I've done a OpenELEC build for the old C1+
OpenELEC-Odroid-C1-7.0.0-Kodi.Jarvis.16.1.Final.SD.card.img.gz HERE
OpenELEC-Odroid-C1-7.0.0-Kodi.Jarvis.16.1.Final.tar HERE

W Smile

Thanks so much for this release Smile If only the Inputstream Stuff from Kodi 17 could be backported to 16 that would be d perfect client Smile
(2016-05-23, 11:18)noggin Wrote: Bob would be better than YADIF 1x (aka Deinterlace half) for native interlaced content though.

The point of the fix is to handle native interlaced content with 50/59.94Hz motion, that causes problems when hardware deinterlacing is disabled. YADIF 1x will give you 25/29.97Hz motion, whereas Bob will give you 50/59.94Hz but with a vertical resolution reduction. Given that 25p native content is OK with a weave (i.e. deinterlacing disabled) - then Bob surely is the best solution?
Yes if Bob is supposed to give 50/59.94 there appears to be an error with the current Kodi code as it was only giving me 25fps. I now believe this has been the problem all along with Kodi on AML. Did a simple test patch and now getting 50fps for Bob for native interlaced content as well Smile

The error is here:
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/Jarvis...o.cpp#L556

It should be:
Code:
if (mInt == VS_INTERLACEMETHOD_DEINTERLACE || mInt == VS_INTERLACEMETHOD_RENDER_BOB)
mFilters = CDVDVideoCodec::FILTER_DEINTERLACE_ANY;

@wrxtasy thanks for all your support here Smile
Are you planning a Krypton release for the C1+ in future. I love the C1+, just that Amazon Prime Video is not working on it contrary to Krypton...
Thats why asking, so could get rid of the two AFTV's and enjoy proper deinterlacing while watching Sports and have proper auto refresh rate switching Smile

If not, would it be possible to incorporate this patch, so I can use the c1+ as an DVB-Server?
Its been a while.... sorry I flat out refuse to get involved in providing extra time consuming support for DVB's for old AML Kernels.
I've learnt my lesson in the past and now handball that responsibility to HardKernel to incorporate such USB DVB support into the Kernel themselves for end C1/C2 users.

For AMLogic Linux / OpenELEC / LibreELEC users and developers that want to have a look at work in progress for updated AML decoder and rendering support that will be required for Kodi Krypton then this thread will be of interest:
http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=21034

Will the eMMC Modules for the C2 work on the C1+ too? Does someone kno that? Would like to try my C1+ with eMMC and Openelec and a bluetooth remote before I deside to for a C2 or Hub. Might still be sufficiant for me using the C1 Smile

Any news regarding Kodi 17 on the C1+? Will this ever be possible, if not then I anyway will need to go for a C2/Hub as Amazon is only working with Krypton Inputstream.

Thanks again for your support here Smile Especially to wrxtasy for this build Smile
  • 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ODROID-C1 from Hardkernel is a $35 Development Board powered by AMLogic S8051