• 39(current)
Android NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)
Probably a noob question. In the "START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box " thread it is suggested that for 4k/HDR content Gigabit Ethernet is recommended. Wouldn't a USB 3. HDD directly connected to Shield give you more throughput?
(2020-12-02, 08:05)rockhard Wrote: Probably a noob question. In the "START HERE - Pick the Right Kodi Box " thread it is suggested that for 4k/HDR content Gigabit Ethernet is recommended. Wouldn't a USB 3. HDD directly connected to Shield give you more throughput?

Yes USB3 would give higher data transfer thruput vs GigaE. if you wanted to data transfer massive GB files - TO - USB3 connected storage quicker. Like you do on a Desktop PC.

BUT even old USB2 that has an everyday, typical data transfer speed of 220-300Mbps is more than capable of being used for reliable Kodi playback of even the highest Bitrate 4K HDR Bluray Rips available.

GigaE aka 1000Mbps is needed for - reliable - home networked - high bitrate 4K HDR Bluray (inc lossless audio) Kodi playback because 4K HDR Rips bitrates spike above 100Mbps and regular 100Mbit Ethernet simply is not capable enough.

Hello,

I need your help with the voice control of the apps on my Shield (Kodi, Netflix, Plex). I have the Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro connected to an LG Oled C9, I can turn On/Off the Nvidia with the google assistant (in English on my mobile) i will receive the google nest mini tomorrow. On the Shield settings i have apps searchable by voice commands from Shield, Kodi and Plex appear, but Netflix does not appear. Despite having kodi and plex as "searchable" I can't open these apps with voice comands, when saying "Ok google ask Shield to open <app> this is what happens:
Plex opens the web page (on the mobile) and kodi launches on my mobile also. Could you please help me out?
Does Kodi in Shield TV Pro support HDR10? I know it doesn't support DV. Reason for asking is in this post(https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2969667) it is said that it's platform dependent and Nvidia is not mentioned as one of the supported one).
(2020-12-06, 12:09)rockhard Wrote: Does Kodi in Shield TV Pro support HDR10?

Yes.
I was able to play a DV mp4 file today on my shield pro and it triggered DV HDR mode on my Sony X950G
(2020-12-15, 00:57)Undivide Wrote: I was able to play a DV mp4 file today on my shield pro and it triggered DV HDR mode on my Sony X950G

Posting the MediaInfo report on the mp4 is useful - as there are so many different flavours of DV.
I'll get the media info later but the release group labels them as "single layer" or "SL" so they only have the one video track instead of the 2 that mimic the actual source
We've known this for some months now.
(2019-11-08, 19:04)fritsch Wrote: So, why does kodi allow switching resolutions?

Some people think that their TV, their AVR - whatever, is the best upscaler on this planet. Therefore they want kodi to output in the native resolution of the Video, so that their TV / AVR can then upscale this resolution to the native resolution of the TV.
With nvidia's AI scaler (funny btw. what one calles AI today), you have the superior scaler _IN_ your shield, means: set the output to the native resolution for your TV, e.g. 3840x2160 and just enable refreshrate switching without adding other resolutions to the whitelist (besides 3840x2160), that way mediacodec-surface (internally, without kodi influence) will do the scaling of the video surface.

Got it?
set the output to nr for tv? the shield or kodi? i know for the FS kodi should be set at 1080
(2020-12-17, 09:17)squaleca Wrote:
(2019-11-08, 19:04)fritsch Wrote: So, why does kodi allow switching resolutions?

Some people think that their TV, their AVR - whatever, is the best upscaler on this planet. Therefore they want kodi to output in the native resolution of the Video, so that their TV / AVR can then upscale this resolution to the native resolution of the TV.
With nvidia's AI scaler (funny btw. what one calles AI today), you have the superior scaler _IN_ your shield, means: set the output to the native resolution for your TV, e.g. 3840x2160 and just enable refreshrate switching without adding other resolutions to the whitelist (besides 3840x2160), that way mediacodec-surface (internally, without kodi influence) will do the scaling of the video surface.

Got it?
set the output to nr for tv? the shield or kodi? i know for the FS kodi should be set at 1080

what should kodis refresh rate be set to?
Kodi is working fine on my Shield, with one weird exception. I paired bluetooth headphones with the shield, and I can use the Audio output option on the Shield menu to change audio from HDMI to BT. THis works fine on all my apps except Kodi. On Kodi, the audio will not switch to the headphones, but keeps playing on my soundbar. This issue does not seem to be present with the MrMC app.

EDIT- This happens when playing back Dolby Audio. A workaround is to disable passthrough. After that, the BT headphones work fine.
Are there any new features in the 2019 Shield that are NOT done in software. The new codec support, DV, Dolby license is all software. I am not 100% sure about AI upscaler but I'd be very surprised if it wouldn't run on the older models since X1+ is identical to X1 but with die shrink for less heat etc made for the Switch.

Nvidia could easily have offered this as an upgrade to older loyal Shield owners, add the new remote and its an identical device. I feel like its such a ripoff to charge $200 for hardware thats 5+ years old now.
(2020-12-21, 02:04)MrCrispy Wrote: Are there any new features in the 2019 Shield that are NOT done in software. The new codec support, DV, Dolby license is all software. I am not 100% sure about AI upscaler but I'd be very surprised if it wouldn't run on the older models since X1+ is identical to X1 but with die shrink for less heat etc made for the Switch.

Nvidia could easily have offered this as an upgrade to older loyal Shield owners, add the new remote and its an identical device. I feel like its such a ripoff to charge $200 for hardware thats 5+ years old now.

New hardware.    Same old SOC, but new manufacturing process allows the SOC to perform ~25% faster than the old models.   That performance is required for AI Upscaling.   Perhaps other things too.
(2020-12-21, 04:15)dwalme Wrote:
(2020-12-21, 02:04)MrCrispy Wrote: Are there any new features in the 2019 Shield that are NOT done in software. The new codec support, DV, Dolby license is all software. I am not 100% sure about AI upscaler but I'd be very surprised if it wouldn't run on the older models since X1+ is identical to X1 but with die shrink for less heat etc made for the Switch.

New hardware.    Same old SOC, but new manufacturing process allows the SOC to perform ~25% faster than the old models.   That performance is required for AI Upscaling.   Perhaps other things too.

It's been well proven the CPU performance is identical to 2015/2017 Nvidia Shields.
There is likely a tiny bit faster eMMC and RAM in the 2019 model.

16nm vs 20nm manufacturing in the end means lees power required which also generates less heat, which is important to the Tegra X1+ equipped 2010 Nintendo Switch.

The Advertised ~25% performance increase is actually a GPU MHz clock increase:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra#Tegra_X1

• 39(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA Shield TV Pro (2019 new model)1