Update Library on Startup Failing (Frodo)
I have the exact same issue if I have update library on startup it stuck on preparing and files won't open until going into file lists. But disabling update library on startup and the files play right away

(2013-04-22, 08:35)Arfman Wrote: The issue I had was very simple: I needed to go to Videos - Files first, then enter my SMB share (Series or Movies) so that a filelist would pop up, and then the library update (which I had to start manually) went well.

But because no one here seems to have exactly the same problem and none of the devs even acknowledge the issue is here, I uninstalled 12.2 and went back to 11.0. It plays everything I need it to play and now I can turn on my HTPC, which autostarts XBMC, and the library gets updated. Just like it did in 10.0 and 9.0. Something is broken in 12.x and it's not on my end.

Maybe I'll update to XBMC 13.0, whenever that comes out. Until then, I'm happy with 11.0.
I traced my issue to specifically Updating the Library period, manual or at startup. If I turn off Update Library on Startup my XBMC loads immediately when clicked, but then if I try a manual update from the context menu my XBMC freezes for the same ~1.5 minutes the black splash screen is stuck on the screen when Update Library on Startup is enabled. XBMC was completely unresponsive for about ~1.5 minutes after I attempted a manual update. XBMC read as Unresponsive in the Task Manager. Then after about a 1.5 minutes, XBMC reads as Running in Task Manager and the Library Update starts. I detailed the problem in this post: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=162603 and here's a debug log when Update Library on Startup is on: http://pastebin.com/XjaYybvM, and here's a debug log from a manual update: http://pastebin.com/tXUPiFGv
(2013-04-22, 08:35)Arfman Wrote: The issue I had was very simple: I needed to go to Videos - Files first, then enter my SMB share (Series or Movies) so that a filelist would pop up, and then the library update (which I had to start manually) went well.

But because no one here seems to have exactly the same problem and none of the devs even acknowledge the issue is here, I uninstalled 12.2 and went back to 11.0. It plays everything I need it to play and now I can turn on my HTPC, which autostarts XBMC, and the library gets updated. Just like it did in 10.0 and 9.0. Something is broken in 12.x and it's not on my end.

Maybe I'll update to XBMC 13.0, whenever that comes out. Until then, I'm happy with 11.0.

Sigh. I had to update to 12.2 to solve a scraper issue (11.0 addons aren't updated anymore) and this stupid bug is back. I can't believe this STILL hasn't been fixed.

Does anyone know if 12.3 will include fixes for this bug?
Hi,

I'm having the same problem.

Since so many times, my library fails after reboot.

During christmas holidays, I have update my XBMC to FRODO 12.3 (hope this will save me Smile but nothing...)

I made a fresh install of XBMC 12.3, adding my sources to my SYNOLOGY NAS with SMB share, scraps my films and everything is Ok !
But after rebooting my HTPC, XBMC said me in Library mode (No files availables...) but in file mode, my films are really here and I can watch them.

The problem is really with Library mode.

In my debug file, I can see for each film :

Code:
17:24:27 T:3812 WARNING: VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner::Process directory 'smb://SYNODISKSTATION/Films/Parents/' does not exist - skipping scan
17:24:29 T:3812 WARNING: VIDEO::CVideoInfoScanner::Process directory 'smb://SYNODISKSTATION/Films/Enfants/' does not exist - skipping scan

I've already tried to add a delay to boot XBMC, adding a "--d 5" to the target of my XBMC.exe

The last thing I do is to :
-Delete my sources
-Delete my MyVideosXX.db and thumbnails files
-Re-add sources and scan
-Already works fine until I reboot because the problem come back..

Anything to help me ?

I'm using XBMC 12.3 with Windows 7 x64 and SMB share witha Synology NAS.

Thx for your help !

Forcing Windows to reconnect to the share on startup before running XBMC (even if the XBMC library is set up with the share UNC path and not a shared drive) may solve the "library doesn't scan for new files on XBMC start" issue for some. If your Windows starts up straight into XBMC, put a batch file in the Start Menu Startup folder with something like this to run XBMC instead:

Code:
net use M: /DELETE
net use M: \\server\share /user:share_user share_password
start "XBMC" "c:\program files\xbmc\xbmc.exe"

Replace the example values above with the correct information for your environment.
(2014-01-12, 19:08)Nagsterus Wrote: Forcing Windows to reconnect to the share on startup before running XBMC (even if the XBMC library is set up with the share UNC path and not a shared drive) may solve the "library doesn't scan for new files on XBMC start" issue for some. If your Windows starts up straight into XBMC, put a batch file in the Start Menu Startup folder with something like this to run XBMC instead:

Code:

Replace the example values above with the correct information for your environment.

Hello Nagsterus,
Firstly, thank you for your help and for your script.
It is by seeing your ans that I had a "revelation".
I had not created between my HTPC and my NAS a network path with a letter (M: )
So I make a test before trying your script: associate my NAS in Windows as a network drive with a letter.
And indeed, this is great, my problem is solved ! Windows does well to start the link between the NAS and the HTPC and therefore XBMC is also here!
I would not have thought of something as stupid on my part ...
Really thank you for your help and for your script that really put me "chip in the ear" as we said in French :-)
A soon.
Kpitn

(2014-01-12, 19:08)Nagsterus Wrote: Forcing Windows to reconnect to the share on startup before running XBMC (even if the XBMC library is set up with the share UNC path and not a shared drive) may solve the "library doesn't scan for new files on XBMC start" issue for some. If your Windows starts up straight into XBMC, put a batch file in the Start Menu Startup folder with something like this to run XBMC instead:

Code:

Tried this solution this weekend (yeah, a bit late, I know) and it works flawlessly. I can start up my HTPC again and not have to worry about the library not updating. Thanks!
Hiya

I'm getting this problem myself. I was on Windows 7 SP1 64bit but have upgraded to 8.1 to see if that solves it. It hasn't

I have group policy set to take me straight into XBMC with a logon script maping drives. Sadly it doesn't solve the problem.

For the time being I've moved back to Explorer with a batch to load XBMC in startup but wondered if anyone had a resolution rather than a work around.

This only started happening on Frodo 12.3

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update Library on Startup Failing (Frodo)0