Edimax EW-7811UAC - 5ghz network issues
(2015-08-14, 03:36)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-08-14, 03:05)Shazb0t Wrote: Has anyone figured out the cause and a fix for this? I would love to use this adapter and get off 2.4Ghz.

You need to try OE 5.95.3, or popcornmix's almost OE6.0 build. If the problem persists in either of these builds then post again, but 5.0.8 is no longer under development.

Okay I will give them a try, thanks for the tip.
The only way I can make it stable on 5Ghz is to set it to wireless N. On my asus router the wireless adaptor then connects at 150Mbps and works well.
(2015-08-14, 22:28)rob77 Wrote: The only way I can make it stable on 5Ghz is to set it to wireless N. On my asus router the wireless adaptor then connects at 150Mbps and works well.

Hopefully the builds Milhouse linked incorporate a fix. Otherwise who knows when wireless ac will be fully usable on RPi2 with OpenELEC.
(2015-08-14, 22:40)Shazb0t Wrote: Otherwise who knows when wireless ac will be fully usable on RPi2 with OpenELEC.

I'm sure 11ac works in OpenELEC, just maybe not with your hardware due to the chipset manufacturer not providing working Linux drivers. Always buy hardware with good Linux driver support as there's very little OpenELEC developers (or anyone else) can do if hardware has incomplete or buggy drivers.

The 5.95.3 build does include a more recent driver than 5.0.8, but there's no guarantee it will fix 11ac which is still fairly new (relatively speaking) and may still require more development on Linux.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2015-08-14, 22:49)Milhouse Wrote:
(2015-08-14, 22:40)Shazb0t Wrote: Otherwise who knows when wireless ac will be fully usable on RPi2 with OpenELEC.

I'm sure 11ac works in OpenELEC, just maybe not with your hardware due to the chipset manufacturer not providing working Linux drivers. Always buy hardware with good Linux driver support as there's very little OpenELEC developers (or anyone else) can do if hardware has incomplete or buggy drivers.

The 5.95.3 build does include a more recent driver than 5.0.8, but there's no guarantee it will fix 11ac which is still fairly new (relatively speaking) and may still require more development on Linux.

I guess the problem is that there isn't a legitimate list of confirmed hardware that will work with RPi2/OpenELEC and wireless ac (http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Suppor...B_Adapters ). From what I understand the 7811UTC is the recommended hardware for the RPi2 and OpenELEC (http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspberry-p...berry-pi-b ). It actually sees the 5Ghz wirelss ac network and connects. It transfers at the correct speed for wireless ac in my system. The only issue is it disconnects frequently for seemingly no reason, as posted by several other members so it's not just my setup. I tried to purchase THE adapter that was supposed to work, at least it's close to fully functional. If you know of a specific adapter that is fully functional with wireless ac on RPi2/OpenELEC please let me know and I'll pick that one up.
(2015-08-14, 22:54)Shazb0t Wrote: I tried to purchase THE adapter that was supposed to work, at least it's close to fully functional. If you know of a specific adapter that is fully functional with wireless ac on RPi2/OpenELEC please let me know and I'll pick that one up.

With multi-mode devices I guess it pays to be clear about what feature you need to be working when asking "does it work?" Smile

Determining which hardware is properly supported is most definitely a huge chore and a detailed "known working/not working" list would be a great idea.

In the absence of such a list, I'd probably focus on hardware that has drivers supporting the feature you require merged into the Linux kernel - the rtl8812au drivers have not yet been accepted upstream, maybe because they're not of sufficient quality. Although determining whether a driver is already merged is not necessarily a simple task.

I must admit because of all the problems with WiFi (in general, not just with RPi or OpenELEC) it's an area I tend to avoid and I can't really offer much more advice beyond what I've said above, or alternatively suggesting Homeplug (aka Powerline) devices eg. 500-AV, 1200-AV in place of WiFi - as long as your wiring is up to the job, Homeplug networks are much more reliable and easier to work with than any WiFi adapter.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I think the problem is strictly linux related, and not only in wifi adapter's world (also dvb adapters)
I have to admit, after many years, that there's nothing so important as peripherals support.
And linux can't go anywhere without it
It would be a perfect world with linux/openelec and windows drivers.
Bye,
sdf
Hello everyone

I get this thing fixed. I just have to change the radio settings on my AP: Channel Auto HT80.

Greetings from Switzerland
Hello,

I don't have exactly the same dongle in use, but using same chip

I have issue with 5GHz band. I just bought D-link DWA-171 (with RTL8821AU chip).

RPi2 with openelec:
OpenELEC: # uname -a
Linux OpenELEC 4.1.18 #1 SMP Mon Feb 29 20:48:22 CET 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux

System detects 5GHz and asks pass-phrase but after few association attempts it fails.
I tried to setup 80MHz into my AC56U router but no success.

Any ideas?
(2016-03-07, 16:44)zomeone Wrote: I tried to setup 80MHz into my AC56U router but no success.

Any ideas?

Do you mean that you had no success setting up 80Mhz or that you set up 80Mhz and it didn't solve your problem?
(2016-03-09, 04:02)dWooluf Wrote:
(2016-03-07, 16:44)zomeone Wrote: I tried to setup 80MHz into my AC56U router but no success.

Any ideas?

Do you mean that you had no success setting up 80Mhz or that you set up 80Mhz and it didn't solve your problem?

I mean I was able to set 80MHz but it did not solve the problem.
Yesterday I tried with Deltaco USB3 "active hub", but Wifi was not recognized via hub at all.

I noticed that with open SSID (no any authentication required WPA, WEP etc...) I was able to connect 5GHz network.
I'll try today to connect with connman (static configuration to config file).
If this won't work I'll create new SSID without authentication and with mac-address whitelist and allow only RPi to be able to connect.
(2016-03-09, 13:52)zomeone Wrote:
(2016-03-09, 04:02)dWooluf Wrote:

Any ideas?

I mean I was able to set 80MHz but it did not solve the problem.
Yesterday I tried with Deltaco USB3 "active hub", but Wifi was not recognized via hub at all.

I noticed that with open SSID (no any authentication required WPA, WEP etc...) I was able to connect 5GHz network.
I'll try today to connect with connman (static configuration to config file).
If this won't work I'll create new SSID without authentication and with mac-address whitelist and allow only RPi to be able to connect.

OK I finalized my tests with another access point.
I found out that 5GHz (AC) connection works with following combo:
Cisco Meraki MR18 (5GHz, AC) + Rasperry Pi 2 (OpenELEC) + D-LINK DWA-171

I'm using same encryption than with my Asus RT-AC56U router. So it should not be configuration related issue.

I even modified SSID to be same in Meraki than it was with Asus.

Asus RT-AC56U (5GHz, AC) + Raspberry Pi 2 (OpenELEC) + D-LINK DWA-171 does not work.
But I'm not going to troubleshoot this any further.
I've got a Netgear R7000 running Merlin XWRT and the Edimax 7811UAC dongle. I'm starting to doubt my memory now, but I remember it running fine for a few weeks and then not. Maybe I changed a setting but I can't think what. I've also got a computer with a suspect motherboard serving the files, so I really don't know. Thing is the computer and the pi are now both connected @ 2.4ghz/150mbps and working ok for my 720p and 1080p videos, so I'm not sure why I'm bothering with 5Ghz AC.

I can connect to 5Ghz although the connection takes a lot longer to negotiate than 2.4GHz. I just get lockups and disconnections. Someone claimed this dongle was working fine under OSMC. When I get some time, I'll give that a go and report back.
[EDIT, Solved, read below]

I received my Edimax EW-7811UTC today.
Having read the whole thread, I can't get my R-Pi3 Openelec 6.03 to see my Asus RT68U 5GHz network.

No problems connecting to the Asus RT68U 2.4GHz.

I know 5GHz is active on the dongle because I see other 5GHz SSID's (e.g neighbours and my Chromecasts).

I've tried N only, 80MHz only, open network (with mac flter), power cycles, lots of other settings. Nothing. It won't show up.

What could be the reason?

Extra info:
I have the Merlin firmware on the Asus RT68U.
It's right that for all this I should be in Openelec > Kodi > Programs > Openelec config > Connections ?
I haven't tried (nor wish to really) other OS's on the R-Pi3
Bit of a shame that Openelec config doesn't show more info on the connections tab, such as 2.4 or 5, mac address, security level etc.
I have a Edimax EW-7811UTC, not UAC of the topic title, is there significant difference? EDIT: yes, only the external antenna with the UAC?

[EDIT, Solved]
The EW-7811UTC only supports 5GHz band 1 and 2, according to Edimax support. That translates to lower channel/freq. It works for me now, though not yet able to report on stability or speed.
(2016-06-15, 00:17)SaintNick Wrote: [EDIT, Solved]
The EW-7811UTC only supports 5GHz band 1 and 2, according to Edimax support. That translates to lower channel/freq. It works for me now, though not yet able to report on stability or speed.

And now? Have you been able to test?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Edimax EW-7811UAC - 5ghz network issues0