v18 Kodi 18 on RP3B+ vs. RP4
(2019-12-13, 01:36)noggin Wrote:
(2019-12-12, 21:08)jfabernathy Wrote: I have found a solution for the Kodi GUI pushing out beyond the screen on the RP4.  I can go to Settings -> interface and on the Skin tab I can Zoom -4% and bring the screen back to what  it would be.

So here's what it takes to make it work at all for me on my 4K Samsung Series 6. 
1. change the Resolution to 1920x1080P
2. Zoom the Skin to -4%
3.  in player settings Sync playback to display

So after doing all of this the video playback of mpeg2 is still not as good as moving the RP4 to a 1080P TV with standard settings or using LibreELEC 9.2.0 on a RP3B+ with standard setting.

Jim A

That sounds like your TV is applying overscan in 1080p (i.e. it's cropping and zooming) - you may find you can disable this in one of your screen format or screen size config settings.  The -4% zoom in Kodi is compensating for this. 
I have to disable the overscan on my TV otherwise I can't fill the screen in normal 4K mode.  And it fills the screen correctly until I set Kodi to 1080P mode then I have to use the -4% to bring it back in.
Like I mentioned early, you should try disabling overscan on the Pi (/boot/config.txt) instead on the TV.
I am sure that Raspbian comes with overscan enabled by default and I believe LibreELEC comes with overscan disabled by default on the RPi.
That's what I do on mine RPi 4 with Raspbian connected to a Samsung TV and I don't have your kind of problems neither I have to adjust the compensation in Kodi (which should only be done as last resort).
(2019-12-13, 04:13)rascas Wrote: Like I mentioned early, you should try disabling overscan on the Pi (/boot/config.txt) instead on the TV.
I am sure that Raspbian comes with overscan enabled by default and I believe LibreELEC comes with overscan disabled by default on the RPi.
That's what I do on mine RPi 4 with Raspbian connected to a Samsung TV and I don't have your kind of problems neither I have to adjust the compensation in Kodi (which should only be done as last resort).

Doesn't that solve the opposite problem (black borders around the GUI and video)?
In my case, I have many HDMI inputs into my AV Receiver and the RP4 is one of them along with a RP3B+.  So the Overscan is off on the RP3/4s so they fill the screen. The only issue is Kodi when I change Kodi's resolution in System -> Display setting on the RP4 to 1080P.  The RP3B+ is fine with default settings and with the RP4 I have to also use the Skin -> Zoom -4%.
(2019-12-13, 12:22)jfabernathy Wrote: In my case, I have many HDMI inputs into my AV Receiver and the RP4 is one of them along with a RP3B+.  So the Overscan is off on the RP3/4s so they fill the screen.
There's a lot of misunderstandings about overscan and what it is.

Overscan (in this context) is purely a function of a display.  It's a legacy feature that replicates the effect of 'overscanning' of a CRT display (i.e. an old tube display TV) where the horizontal and vertical scans made the electron beam(s) scan past the edges of the screen, cropping an amount of the picture left, right, top and bottom (effectively zooming the picture in slightly).  Broadcast TV production could be quite ragged around the edges - so not showing the full width and height was also not a bad thing for viewers.  

Modern flat screen LCDs, Plasmas and OLEDs often default to simulating this overscan - so a 1920x1080 source displayed on a 1920x1080 or 3840x2160 screen will often not show the full 1920x1080 image and will instead crop it and scale it - though you can often disable this on most TVs (though on some, only on native resolution sources), though finding the right menu and option description (Just scan, full pixel etc. can be tricky).  On some displays these settings are source specific - so can be different for each HDMI port, internal tuner etc. On some displays this cannot be disabled - early plasmas with 1024x720 non-square pixel panels spring to mind...  

Broadcasters currently work to a 5% graphics safe standard in the UK (assuming that only the 1728 x 972 centre portion will be displayed) these days.  TV producers ensure their shows are produced with overscan in mind - and displaying them on overscanned displays is expected (nothing important should be outside of this safe area - though action safe is a little bit bigger)

So - displays exist with overscan.

The Raspberry Pi, at an OS level, includes overscan compensation.  This is there to counteract the overscan of a display, and thus shrinks and scales down the Pi's video output and surrounds it with black bars, so displays with overscan will show the full Pi desktop (or other video output) without losing content  that would otherwise be cropped in overscan (the black bars are cropped).

The Pi config.txt file has :
disable_overscan and overscan_left/right/top/bottom and overscan_scale settings to handle the configuration of overscan compensation.

Kodi, at an application level, also includes overscan compensation with the display calibration functionality which allows you to scale playback and GUI display within Kodi.

So - if you don't see black bars around your image that fills your screen, you can't assume all is well, as you could be seeing the result of Kodi or the Pi OS compensating for your TV overscan, with your TV still overscanning.
(2019-12-07, 20:15)noggin Wrote:
(2019-12-07, 19:17)jfabernathy Wrote: So I connected my RP4 directly to my UHD 4K Samsung TV. I could not get 60P only 30P. I'm using the TV info button to see that.  I made sure I had

hdmi_enable_4kp60=1

in my /boot/config.txt

The only way I can get 60p is with my Nvidia Shield TV. the info button shows 3840x2160 / 60

All that said, what would be ideal is to have the RP4 only put out 1080P just like the RP3B+. 

Is there a way to force the rp4 into 1080p.  I have not found anything that says you can.

Jim A
I suspect your HDTV only supports 2160p59.94/60 at 4:2:0 - which the Pi 4B doesn't support.

I've not used Kodi on a Pi 4B with anything other than LibreElec - when I get a chance I'll have a look at the process to enable 1080p59.94 under Raspbian.

I wanted to update this because I figured something out. I have found a setting in my Samsung UHD tv that is not in the Video section. It's in the General -> External Device Manager -> HDMI UHD Color section. It's an HDMI setting about optimizing to the HDMI 2.0 specification. When I turn that feature on for the HDMI port connected to my RPI4 and with the correct /boot/config.txt setting, “hdmi_enable_4kp60=1“, The RPi4 worked in 4Kp60 mode.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 18 on RP3B+ vs. RP40