• 47(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
I'm sorry, but it really hangs.

It hangs when rebooting from Windows, it hangs when rebooting from Linux. It hangs when simply power on the box.
I don't see any system, but it's really a problem.

I've reflashed uefi firmware 20161117 several times. To legacy and back to uefi. I've restored factory firmware and flashed uefi back. I've flashed uefi several times repeatedly.
Nothing helps.

Legacy firmware works just fine. As expected. I mean 20161107.
Unplug all USB devices while rebooting. The hang is usually caused by some bad USB peripherals.
@coolstar
I only have 1 simple keyboard plugged and 1 air-mouse-keyboard receiver.
Both devices worked well for me for a long time in several PCs including this very Chromebox and including previous uefi firmwares in it.
I cannot use Chromebox without these devices.
I've also experienced hangs when rebooting from Win10. The Chromebox just blanks the screen at some point but nothing happens. Then if I push the power button, the power on light is immediately turned off so it seems that it's "out of Windows" at that point. Rebooting from Kodi doesn't have any issues.
@coolstar
Seems, you're right.
I've unplugged the keyboard and those problems are gone.
At least, I've rebooted 10-15 times and it works as expected.

Strange, it's a simple wired usb keyboard, VID_1A2C PID_2C27.
Interesting. I have a Microsoft Wireless mouse/keyboard receiver plugged in on my chromebook here and it has no problem rebooting. I'll try plugging in some another USB keyboard and some other USB mice next week and see if I get any issue.

I've only seen the hang on boot if I unplug a USB device while it's booting up on my C720 chromebook.
just updated full ROM via script, then tried to install windows 10 from USB keep saying " Boot failed" no matter what I used to created USB (disk32image, Rufus, or media creator from MS). any suggestion?
I'd also like to have some pointers:

I now have a legacy BIOS dual-boot system of Windows 10 and Kodi. Syslinux handles the booting stuff at the moment. If I update to UEFI BIOS, I just get the UEFI boot menu. If I reflash the legacy BIOS and try to use EasyUEFI in Win10 to fix things, it tells me I need a UEFI system (meaning that my Windows should be installed under an UEFI system?)

Is there any way around this issue or should I reinstall Windows somehow? I really wouldn't like to do that as I've got everything in place right now.
(2016-11-22, 14:46)rhino Wrote: any suggestion?
I'd try UltraISO to create Win10 media.
(2016-11-22, 14:54)Boulder Wrote: I'd also like to have some pointers:

I now have a legacy BIOS dual-boot system of Windows 10 and Kodi. Syslinux handles the booting stuff at the moment. If I update to UEFI BIOS, I just get the UEFI boot menu. If I reflash the legacy BIOS and try to use EasyUEFI in Win10 to fix things, it tells me I need a UEFI system (meaning that my Windows should be installed under an UEFI system?)

Is there any way around this issue or should I reinstall Windows somehow? I really wouldn't like to do that as I've got everything in place right now.

you'll need to convert the Windows install to GPT/UEFI, which will likely involve some partition shuffling -- see: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki...-uefi.aspx

EDIT: after converting your Windows install to UEFI, simply follow my instructions in the post below
Thanks Matt, will give those a go. I'm sure they will be helpful to others as well Smile
(2016-11-22, 21:29)Boulder Wrote: Thanks Matt, will give those a go. I'm sure they will be helpful to others as well Smile

btw, just tested this here on my dev box and it's all good:
  • install Windows (best to delete all partitions, install to unpartitioned space)
  • boot Linux live USB
  • using gparted, resize Windows data partition down, create new partitions for LE (512MB, whatever for Storage), set partition labels to 'LibreELEC' and 'Storage'
  • download LE .tar update file, extract KERNEL and SYSTEM files to root of LibreELEC partition
  • create/add a file called refind_linux.conf in root of LibreELEC partition with the following content:
    Code:
    "LibreELEC" "boot=LABEL=LibreELEC disk=LABEL=Storage quiet tty ssh"
  • download/run the install-refind script froma terminal via:
    Code:
    curl -sLO https://mrchromebox.tech/install-refind.sh && sudo bash install-refind.sh
  • (opt) change icon for os_libreelec.png (in /EFI/BOOT/icons on EFS partition) to preference (I copied/renamed os_kodi.png since the icon is more distinct)
reboot and you'll be GTG

edit: update formatting, consolidate content from previous post
Matt (Mr. Chromebox), you are the bomb! I recently bumped my SSD up to 128GB, installed your UEFI Bios, ran Windows 10 install and got that all configured. I was having a few issues with Kodi running under Windows 10 (blank screen lockup after exiting Kodi), so I was literally just talking last night to a friend about how I wanted to dual boot LibreElec and Windows 10. Check today and here you have exact directions on how to setup dual boot! Awesome! Thanks Man.
is there a way to reinstall Chrome OS to the box? After messing around with windows 10 I barely have any space left on the original SSD. I'd like Dual boot with Chrome OS and Libreelec. any suggestion?
@rhino
Just boot from Ubuntu install media and run terminal.
And Matt's firmware-util.sh from there.
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4