• 47(current)
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition
(2019-09-29, 02:07)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2019-09-28, 00:00)ashlar Wrote: I still would like to have an explanation, from Kodi Team, on why your work could not be merged in the Windows release, if there are no legal hurdles stopping Kodi Team from doing it.
There are things we cannot say in public, so please respect what fandangos is telling you.   
I'm sorry to resurrect a dead horse that's already been beaten to death but I've just read this:

"The industry-wide, concerted focus on V4L2 (driven significantly by Google/ChromeOS) also means that we can finally strip away large chunks of proprietary, vendor-specific code as all of these chipsets move to a common, standardised API model. We've grudgingly tolerated these for a long time, but they make maintaining and updating functionality so much more difficult when you need to consider dozens of different code paths, so we'll be glad to see the back of them."

And I wonder why "large chunks of proprietary, vendor-specific code" were "grudgingly tolerated for a long time" but could not be tolerated for Windows. I completely understand and respect the desire to work on a clear and neat codebase but having Kodi 19 out with no proper HDR support for Windows would be really bad. Sad

fandangos, this is totally not meant for you. Your code is working for the main two GPU vendors, that's already a miracle there. If no Kodi team member replies, completely ignore this. I don't want to put any extra burden on you. Smile

I'm just trying to understand what's going on for what amounts to an unexplicable decision. Please, take no offense @jjd-uk, I know I can be too... eager? It's just that this is a mistery for me and reading the report from DevCon I can't wrap my head around this.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
(2019-10-26, 17:14)fandangos Wrote: MadVR has the same issue?

Why did I do this comparison? Examine it carefully.
(2019-10-26, 17:25)_DMU_ Wrote:
(2019-10-26, 17:14)fandangos Wrote: MadVR has the same issue?

Why did I do this comparison? Examine it carefully. 

Do you understand that movies do not use DCI-P3, right?

And I've seen you posted on MadVR thread on Doom9 and I'm with the opinion of everybody else there:
1. It's a AMD bug:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t...&page=2876

2. Do not use DCI-P3 for BT.2020 content. 

If you feel like having oversaturated colors, just enable tone mapping in kodi settings and play with it while HDR is on. 

And if this is present with MadVR and with this kodi fork build I rest my case, it's not Kodi, it's not the API code, it's your display that's not responding correctly or AMD driver not outputing it correctly. 
Nothing that me or even Madshi can do about it.
(2019-10-26, 17:34)fandangos Wrote: 1. It's a AMD bug:
I agree. Therefore, it is no longer necessary to say that other Ryzen users are doing well with the color space on your test build.
(2019-10-26, 17:34)fandangos Wrote: 2. Do not use DCI-P3 for BT.2020 content.
I do not choose anything. My TV decides which color gamut to use. In the case of Windows HDR -> ON, he chooses the right colors.
R3 2200G / Vega8 / Samsung UE40NU7100
Win10Pro 1909 / 4K RGB 60Hz Full / AMD19.10.1
So I installed this today on my computer with an NVidia 1050Ti, it seems to be mostly working correctly, but I noticed that whenever I watch a 4K HDR movie, the format it switches to is 8-bit RGB Rec. 2020, not 10-bit or 12-bit YcCbCr 444 Rec. 2020. Is there some setting I need to change so this switches correctly?
(2019-10-26, 17:58)JWort93 Wrote: So I installed this today on my computer with an NVidia 1050Ti, it seems to be mostly working correctly, but I noticed that whenever I watch a 4K HDR movie, the format it switches to is 8-bit RGB Rec. 2020, not 10-bit or 12-bit YcCbCr 444 Rec. 2020. Is there some setting I need to change so this switches correctly?

Are you using change refresh rate?

If you are using 60hz full RGB there's not bandwidth for 10/12bits with hdmi 2.0a.

If you are using refresh rate change to output 23.976 (23hz)
You can set it to this refresh in nvidia control panel, set to use RGB Full dynamic range and 12bits.
Revert back to 60hz and when it changes again it will be 12bits.
(2019-10-26, 17:34)fandangos Wrote: Do you understand that movies do not use DCI-P3, right?

Not right. FYI:
DCI-P3
Digital Cinema Initiatives
HOW TO - Set up madVR for Kodi DSPlayer & External Players
HDR 1102 nits, BT.2020 -> DCI-P3
Displayed when an HDR video is played. The first entry (1040 nits) indicates the source brightness as reported by a valid MaxCLL or the mastering display peak luminance. If a .measurements file is available, the source peak is substituted for the peak value measured by madVR. The second entry (BT.2020 -> DCI-P3) indicates that DCI-P3 primaries were used within a BT.2020 container. 
(2019-10-26, 19:00)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-10-26, 17:58)JWort93 Wrote: So I installed this today on my computer with an NVidia 1050Ti, it seems to be mostly working correctly, but I noticed that whenever I watch a 4K HDR movie, the format it switches to is 8-bit RGB Rec. 2020, not 10-bit or 12-bit YcCbCr 444 Rec. 2020. Is there some setting I need to change so this switches correctly?

Are you using change refresh rate?

If you are using 60hz full RGB there's not bandwidth for 10/12bits with hdmi 2.0a.

If you are using refresh rate change to output 23.976 (23hz)
You can set it to this refresh in nvidia control panel, set to use RGB Full dynamic range and 12bits.
Revert back to 60hz and when it changes again it will be 12bits.

I was using refresh rate switching and manually changing it in the nvidia settings and updating it to 12 bit there fixed it. Thanks!!
My only problem left with KODI settings is to switch HDR mode , when i play 4K HDR  movie HDR mode wont enable i usually check this like   go to my Samsung TV picture settings there should be auto enable Gamma ST.2084 (which work with HDR)  but instead it shows  BT.1886 (which work with SDR) , so in my case KODI playing every HDR movie with SDR settings ,
DIXVA , PIXEL SHADER tried but kodi just dont recognize its HDR.
Never sure whether mine is working as it should be. My TV reports BT2020 but within Windows itself I can't actually set my screen bit depth to anything higher than 8bit. I'm using HDMI to my TV from a radeon 570 to a Sony STR-DN1080 AMP and then from the amp to my LG 65" C8 Oled TV.
(2019-10-27, 22:10)allanp81 Wrote: Never sure whether mine is working as it should be. My TV reports BT2020 but within Windows itself I can't actually set my screen bit depth to anything higher than 8bit. I'm using HDMI to my TV from a radeon 570 to a Sony STR-DN1080 AMP and then from the amp to my LG 65" C8 Oled TV.

one out of topic question, wont you afraid of burning of Oled by connecting with PC where  static wallpapers etc and windows himself causing this?
(2019-10-28, 17:54)nazim12 Wrote:
(2019-10-27, 22:10)allanp81 Wrote: Never sure whether mine is working as it should be. My TV reports BT2020 but within Windows itself I can't actually set my screen bit depth to anything higher than 8bit. I'm using HDMI to my TV from a radeon 570 to a Sony STR-DN1080 AMP and then from the amp to my LG 65" C8 Oled TV.

one out of topic question, wont you afraid of burning of Oled by connecting with PC where  static wallpapers etc and windows himself causing this? 
Yes, but I never have anything static on the screen for very long. I'm more worried about TV channel logos. Kodi and Windows are both setup to show screensavers after a few minutes and the TV itself has a built in screensaver if it receives no signal.
(2019-10-28, 17:54)nazim12 Wrote: one out of topic question, wont you afraid of burning of Oled by connecting with PC where  static wallpapers etc and windows himself causing this?

There are several Screensavers in Kodi. Just try it Big Grin
Installed this yesterday on my Ryzen 2400g HTPC. I suspect it's not outputting the correct colour format. It seems quite desaturated. How can I verify for sure?
(2019-10-28, 23:27)the_scotsman Wrote: Installed this yesterday on my Ryzen 2400g HTPC. I suspect it's not outputting the correct colour format. It seems quite desaturated. How can I verify for sure?

Play the same content on two different devices and compare.   

Or better yet just take a picture of each and compare.
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition9