• 48(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
(2016-11-24, 15:34)rhino Wrote: is there a way to reinstall Chrome OS to the box? After messing around with windows 10 I barely have any space left on the original SSD. I'd like Dual boot with Chrome OS and Libreelec. any suggestion?

yeah, 16GB isn't really enough for Windows, let alone Windows + something else. If you want to go back to ChromeOS, as bbsc said just boot a Linux live USB (like Ubuntu), re-run my script, and restore your stock firmware backup. Afterwards, the box should boot into Recovery Mode, at which time you should insert the recovery media (created on another device or ahead of time) to reload ChromeOS
(2016-11-24, 17:59)Matt Devo Wrote: yeah, 16GB isn't really enough for Windows

It's enough, in fact. But there are two things:
1. It's better to use a simple and reliable edition, say LTSB.
2. The system will require some attention from time to time, I think. Most likely it won't be a "fire-and-forget" solution.
(2016-11-25, 10:20)bbsc Wrote:
(2016-11-24, 17:59)Matt Devo Wrote: yeah, 16GB isn't really enough for Windows

It's enough, in fact. But there are two things:
1. It's better to use a simple and reliable edition, say LTSB.
2. The system will require some attention from time to time, I think. Most likely it won't be a "fire-and-forget" solution.

Win10 x64 Enterprise LTSB couldn't fully update on one of my test boxes on a 16GB ssd, it needed ~800MB more free space temporarily to extract/install the update. YMMV
(2016-11-25, 11:12)Matt Devo Wrote: YMMV

I'd say, there may be several reasons:
1. I don't know anything about the current demands of Windows 10 x64 Enterprise LTSB 2016.
But I've installed and fully updated several times Windows 10 x64 Enterprise LTSB 2015.
I've tried English and localized versions, I've tried "N" variant too.

Near 300 MB remains free on the SSD during the update process. It's a very small piece of space, but it remains free.

2. May be you've tried to update a system with only 2 GB of RAM. It demands more swap, which is dynamic by default.
My Dell3010 has 4 GB of RAM installed.
(2016-11-25, 11:43)bbsc Wrote: 2. May be you've tried to update a system with only 2 GB of RAM. It demands more swap, which is dynamic by default.
My Dell3010 has 4 GB of RAM installed.

that's likely it, this was a base 2GB/16GB box
Hello Matt,

Sorry for the noob question. I hope you can help me.

I have a Asus CN62 that I successfully installed LibreElec a while back using your script. I saw the recent activity to dual boot LibreElec and Win10 I would like to do.

What would I need to do to prep my current setup (I think it is a stand-alone legacy boot firmware) so it is ready for what you described above?

Thanks
(2016-11-27, 03:50)samurai_k Wrote: Hello Matt,

Sorry for the noob question. I hope you can help me.

I have a Asus CN62 that I successfully installed LibreElec a while back using your script. I saw the recent activity to dual boot LibreElec and Win10 I would like to do.

What would I need to do to prep my current setup (I think it is a stand-alone legacy boot firmware) so it is ready for what you described above?

Thanks
  • Backup existing LE settings/userdata
  • Boot a Linux live USB and flash the UEFI firmware
  • Boot Windows installer, follow my directions above
  • Restore old LE settings/userdata

I wouldn't try this with less than a 30GB SSD though
Thanks for the quick reply. I want to confirm your instructions... In regards to your statement

"Boot a Linux live USB and flash the UEFI firmware"

Are you referring to loading your script and choosing "option 3) Install/Update Custom coreboot Firmware (Full Rom)"

Then sub-option "'U' for UEFI"?

Thanks
(2016-11-27, 03:57)samurai_k Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply. I want to confirm your instructions... In regards to your statement

"Boot a Linux live USB and flash the UEFI firmware"

Are you referring to loading your script and choosing "option 3) Install/Update Custom coreboot Firmware (Full Rom)"

Then sub-option "'U' for UEFI"?

Thanks

correct, download/run the Firmware Utility Script as per the instructions on mrchromebox.tech
Thanks. Installing Win 10 with this new firmware is a breeze now. I have 16gb ram and 256gb drive on this chromebox so plenty of resources to run Windows.

I think I have everything working on Win 10. HDMI is finally sending out both audio and video. Do I still need the fan utility?

Also, when I booted over to Kodi I am able to get 2ch audio with my headphones and bluetooth Jambox working, however no HDMI audio output. I know it is not a hardware problem because when I boot into Win 10 HDMI audio works fine. Any ideas?
(2016-11-28, 07:33)samurai_k Wrote: Thanks. Installing Win 10 with this new firmware is a breeze now. I have 16gb ram and 256gb drive on this chromebox so plenty of resources to run Windows.

I think I have everything working on Win 10. HDMI is finally sending out both audio and video. Do I still need the fan utility?
you shouldn't, but wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on temps to be sure. I was unable to get them above 66°C or so under load (Prime95).

Quote:Also, when I booted over to Kodi I am able to get 2ch audio with my headphones and bluetooth Jambox working, however no HDMI audio output. I know it is not a hardware problem because when I boot into Win 10 HDMI audio works fine. Any ideas?
assuming you mean LibreELEC here, I'd verify that you have passthru enabled under System/Audio Output and all the bitstream formats your AVR supports
are selected
@matt Devo
Thanks for the good news on mrchromebox.tech about separate support of Haswell Chromeboxes.
My question is:
Is there a way to turn my Dell 3010 back to Tricky without restoring factory firmware?
It was earlier turned to Panther by firmware-util script.
(2016-12-01, 14:46)bbsc Wrote: @matt Devo
Thanks for the good news on mrchromebox.tech about separate support of Haswell Chromeboxes.
My question is:
Is there a way to turn my Dell 3010 back to Tricky without restoring factory firmware?
It was earlier turned to Panther by firmware-util script.

unfortunately I don't have a clean way of doing that ATM. On my HP test box (Zako) here, what I did was:
  • boot linux USB
  • restore stock firmware
  • use menu unlock function
  • install RW_LEGACY firmware
  • set boot flags to 1s + legacy boot
  • reboot / boot linux USB
  • re-flash UEFI firmware
(2016-12-01, 17:43)Matt Devo Wrote: On my HP test box (Zako) here, what I did was:

Ok, thanks. I'm making a backup now and will try this sequence.

BTW, fan settings were fine for me when it was "Panther" Smile
I watch IPTV here from time to time.
The fan gets loud when watching an http stream 1080p at 50 fps. This is the worst case. It does not matter, Windows or LE.

But it worked pretty well on 2016.11.17 uefi firmware.
Failed to boot linux media in the sixth step. It booted to ChromeOS recovery.
Ok, let's go a more long way.
Will give it recovery media
  • 48(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4