• 5(current)
PBS ThinkTV.org Video Addon
(2015-08-18, 19:47)doki Wrote: Thanks for the reply! I can see how adding the header in by default might cause some headaches for US users. But how about implementing an optional setting that would allow users to use this header modification at will? The option could say something like "Circumvent geo restrictions on content (Non-US users only)".
I'll try to get it in when I update next under a slightly less blatant option name. The main reason I didn't include it is because the x-forward is often stripped and is a nightmare to support because the content changes depending on what ip is assigned. Hence folks asking why some content is there and some is not.
I have been using this great addon for some time without any problems. However, since early August all new streams added to the site fail to work (daily Newshour episodes for example). The log indicates error 403. All streams that were there before August work fine. I am using Unlocator to access PBS outside US. The problem is in Kodi only; all PBS streams can be accessed through IE and Chrome with Unlocator. Any help would be appreciated.
(2015-09-03, 19:57)jayceejazz Wrote: I have been using this great addon for some time without any problems. However, since early August all new streams added to the site fail to work (daily Newshour episodes for example). The log indicates error 403. All streams that were there before August work fine. I am using Unlocator to access PBS outside US. The problem is in Kodi only; all PBS streams can be accessed through IE and Chrome with Unlocator. Any help would be appreciated.

V1.0.19 in my git or test repo fixes this.
https://github.com/learningit/plugin.video.thinktv

If you have installed my test repo:
https://github.com/learningit/repository...odi_addons

You should get an "auto-update" or "update available" message, depending on your "auto-update" setting. You may need to do a "Check for updates" to see the new version.

I have done a pull request for the kodi.org repo as well.
The test repo was already installed and it updated immediately. All working fine now. Many thanks for that.
First thanks for maintaining this.

I leave my box on all the time. It only shows the shows available which were scraped on the first launch since reboot. To see new episodes, I need to reboot to have it re-scrape. Is there a way to have an app re-scrape every now and again automatically?

Thanks
(2015-09-08, 07:54)jjshabadoo Wrote: First thanks for maintaining this.

I leave my box on all the time. It only shows the shows available which were scraped on the first launch since reboot. To see new episodes, I need to reboot to have it re-scrape. Is there a way to have an app re-scrape every now and again automatically?

Thanks

The addon scrapes the website every time you select a show, you do not need to reboot. All my addons behave this way. If you see a different behavior, something is wrong.
learningit, just a little question to ask you. Is it possible to use the 1080p versions of some videos? For instance, the remastered Civil War docs by Ken Burns are now in 1080p on the website -- well Part 1 is only available so far -- but via Kodi, the video is only 720p. The URL part changes from: hd-mezzanine-16x9 to hd-1080p-mezzanine-16x9 and the 2500k goes to 6500k which gives 1080p.

Any idea if that could be implemented?

EDIT: I changed line 318 in the default.py file from:
Code:
url += '-hls-2500k.m3u8'
...to read:
Code:
url += '-hls-6500k.m3u8'
...and it now plays in 1080p. The only thing is that programs not in 1080p, no longer work. Changed it back to 2500k for now. Just thought I'd let you know.
(2015-09-09, 00:16)irn|bru Wrote: learningit, just a little question to ask you. Is it possible to use the 1080p versions of some videos? For instance, the remastered Civil War docs by Ken Burns are now in 1080p on the website -- well Part 1 is only available so far -- but via Kodi, the video is only 720p. The URL part changes from: hd-mezzanine-16x9 to hd-1080p-mezzanine-16x9 and the 2500k goes to 6500k which gives 1080p.

Any idea if that could be implemented?

V1.0.20 in my git or test repo adds 1080 support. The addon still defaults to HD (720), you need to go into settings and select 1080 under "Video Resolution".
The addon will try to play the highest res video it can when 1080 is selected - a word of warning - I was seeing bitrates between 8 to 12mbps, so the 1080 setting may not work for everyone. You can select either HD or SD if you need a slower bitrate.

You should get an "auto-update" or "update available" message, depending on your "auto-update" setting. You may need to do a "Check for updates" to see the new version.

If this works well for folks I'll update the kodi.org repo
(2015-09-09, 01:21)learningit Wrote: V1.0.20 in my git or test repo adds 1080 support. The addon still defaults to HD (720), you need to go into settings and select 1080 under "Video Resolution".
The addon will try to play the highest res video it can when 1080 is selected - a word of warning - I was seeing bitrates between 8 to 12mbps, so the 1080 setting may not work for everyone. You can select either HD or SD if you need a slower bitrate.

If this works well for folks I'll update the kodi.org repo
Thank you so, so much!

I updated manually from your git as I was testing on my laptop and seen you had changed things already. Everything works perfect my end. Changed the setting to 1080p... tested both that and the 720p programs (if 1080p is unavailable) and they work without a hitch. No problems with my Fire TV Stick either. Noticed a few other programs now showing 1080p so thank you again, much appreciated update.
I can confirm the 1080 videos are working well in Canada too. Watched the beginning of the first episode of Arthur and George TV movie under Masterpiece. Looks great!
(2015-02-04, 06:16)learningit Wrote:
(2015-02-04, 05:29)cmbr Wrote: Is it feasible to provide the live stream of ThinkTV with this add-on?
To the best of my knowledge (which isn't much) there is not a legal live stream directly from PBS. There is a live stream of the PBS News Hour at either 6 or 5 PM EST on several different sites (YouTube , UStream.TV ). I also believe that USTVNow has a PBS channel.

There actually is a 24/7 live stream of a PBS station: the Wisconsin Channel, a sub-channel of WPT.

It used to be fairly easy to use the "try URL" feature of a common addon to add the channel to a list of favorites. But recently they changed to a Livestream broadcast and it's really a challenge to make it work with Kodi.

I am using livestreamer to initiate and serve a local stream on my computer when I launch Kodi and then using the local URL to add to the favorites list. It's awfully klunky, but it does work and the stream is very good quality. There was at one time a library addon for livestreamer but there is essentially no documentation and I'm not an addon writer, so even if there were I would not be able to figure one out :-(

But....this addon is great!
This is great. Is there a way to restrict it to only full episodes? (All $%$# breaks loose when the not-yet-literate-ones go into clips instead of full episodes by mistake. They can navigate everything else just fine though). It would be great to skip that screen where you select between episodes and clips(/previews) and have it populate only full episodes after selecting a title. I don't see any configuration options.
(2015-11-10, 04:18)BuffaloMan Wrote: This is great. Is there a way to restrict it to only full episodes? (All $%$# breaks loose when the not-yet-literate-ones go into clips instead of full episodes by mistake. They can navigate everything else just fine though). It would be great to skip that screen where you select between episodes and clips(/previews) and have it populate only full episodes after selecting a title. I don't see any configuration options.

The config option is to just say "Don't do that.".
masterpiece full episodes not working on PBSTHINKTV. Any idea why?
(2015-11-14, 14:51)lankadata Wrote: masterpiece full episodes not working on PBSTHINKTV. Any idea why?
No, they work fine. A debug log would be the next step.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PBS ThinkTV.org Video Addon6