• 56(current)
Win Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has tried UEFI with the Asus Chromebox i7 CN60. I do understand the UEFI will work with CN60 but is it all versions? I have successfully setup the ASUS Chromebox CN60 with celeron no problems. Would like to know about the i3/i7 versons.

Thanks!
(2017-02-16, 16:31)hank0 Wrote: Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has tried UEFI with the Asus Chromebox i7 CN60. I do understand the UEFI will work with CN60 but is it all versions? I have successfully setup the ASUS Chromebox CN60 with celeron no problems. Would like to know about the i3/i7 versons.

Thanks!

yes, it works for all versions - the CPU doesn't matter. I'm running it here on my two i7 Chromeboxes without issue
(2017-02-16, 19:22)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-02-16, 16:31)hank0 Wrote: Hi,

Thanks!

yes, it works for all versions - the CPU doesn't matter. I'm running it here on my two i7 Chromeboxes without issue

Thanks Matt. Worked like a charm. Now the Celeron version with Windows 10 (8GB RAM) was very usable but the extra oomph with the i7 is welcome. About 28000 octane score.
(2017-02-17, 05:08)hank0 Wrote: Thanks Matt. Worked like a charm. Now the Celeron version with Windows 10 (8GB RAM) was very usable but the extra oomph with the i7 is welcome. About 28000 octane score.

yep that's about what I'm seeing here too
Hey Matt, I installed the latest UEFI image (07.02.21), but I am still having an issue with my Apple USB keyboard randomly not being recognized after a reboot. There is no real pattern to this, so I can't point to anything, except it just doesn't respond about 40% of time, forcing me to reboot. It used to be better with previous versions of the rom, but has gotten much worse with this one. This is on the ASUS box, btw.

Another issue I am having is with trying to boot Windows 10 from an USB3 SSD drive. I copied by installation from the internal m.2 SSD onto the external SSD, but every time I try to boot it, I get an error about windows\system32\winload.efi missing, or unbootable hard drive. I am able to boot it in safe mode, and I am also able to boot this SSD on my MBP without any issues.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!
(2017-02-27, 00:14)igjunk Wrote: Hey Matt, I installed the latest UEFI image (07.02.21), but I am still having an issue with my Apple USB keyboard randomly not being recognized after a reboot. There is no real pattern to this, so I can't point to anything, except it just doesn't respond about 40% of time, forcing me to reboot. It used to be better with previous versions of the rom, but has gotten much worse with this one. This is on the ASUS box, btw.

I'm not sure what could have changed, USB peripheral init isn't something that's changed at all to my knowledge. Could just be some incompatibility/bug in the device firmware - not much I can do I'm afraid.

Quote:Another issue I am having is with trying to boot Windows 10 from an USB3 SSD drive. I copied by installation from the internal m.2 SSD onto the external SSD, but every time I try to boot it, I get an error about windows\system32\winload.efi missing, or unbootable hard drive. I am able to boot it in safe mode, and I am also able to boot this SSD on my MBP without any issues.

I'm pretty sure you can't just copy the install to a USB-attached SSD, unless you used imaging software (like clonezilla, eg) that also copies the MS reserved and EFS boot partitions as well. If your MBP can boot it, it's likely in legacy mode not UEFI.
(2017-02-27, 05:01)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-02-27, 00:14)igjunk Wrote: Hey Matt, I installed the latest UEFI image (07.02.21), but I am still having an issue with my Apple USB keyboard randomly not being recognized after a reboot. There is no real pattern to this, so I can't point to anything, except it just doesn't respond about 40% of time, forcing me to reboot. It used to be better with previous versions of the rom, but has gotten much worse with this one. This is on the ASUS box, btw.

I'm not sure what could have changed, USB peripheral init isn't something that's changed at all to my knowledge. Could just be some incompatibility/bug in the device firmware - not much I can do I'm afraid.

Quote:Another issue I am having is with trying to boot Windows 10 from an USB3 SSD drive. I copied by installation from the internal m.2 SSD onto the external SSD, but every time I try to boot it, I get an error about windows\system32\winload.efi missing, or unbootable hard drive. I am able to boot it in safe mode, and I am also able to boot this SSD on my MBP without any issues.

I'm pretty sure you can't just copy the install to a USB-attached SSD, unless you used imaging software (like clonezilla, eg) that also copies the MS reserved and EFS boot partitions as well. If your MBP can boot it, it's likely in legacy mode not UEFI.

Both EFI & SYSTEM partitions are in-place. I booted from windows 10 USB, and forced recreation of the BCD and bootec. Everything seems fine on the hard drive, but UEFI doesn't seem to recognize it during boot phase. If I hit ESC, it shows me EFI Shell and my internal M.2 SSD hard drive, but not external one.
(2017-03-01, 04:54)igjunk Wrote: Both EFI & SYSTEM partitions are in-place. I booted from windows 10 USB, and forced recreation of the BCD and bootec. Everything seems fine on the hard drive, but UEFI doesn't seem to recognize it during boot phase. If I hit ESC, it shows me EFI Shell and my internal M.2 SSD hard drive, but not external one.

that sounds like the UEFI firmware is simply having trouble initializing the USB device, for whatever reason. If the device were recognized, even if it were set up for Legacy booting, it would still show up in Boot Manager (as EFI USB device) and then simply fail to boot when you attempted to do so.

I don't know which USB/SSD adapter you're using, but I had more than one problematic mSATA/USB adapter, though it was problematic on more than just ChromeOS devices. Is the drive recognized when plugged in after booting from the internal ssd?
(2017-03-01, 05:29)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2017-03-01, 04:54)igjunk Wrote: Both EFI & SYSTEM partitions are in-place. I booted from windows 10 USB, and forced recreation of the BCD and bootec. Everything seems fine on the hard drive, but UEFI doesn't seem to recognize it during boot phase. If I hit ESC, it shows me EFI Shell and my internal M.2 SSD hard drive, but not external one.

that sounds like the UEFI firmware is simply having trouble initializing the USB device, for whatever reason. If the device were recognized, even if it were set up for Legacy booting, it would still show up in Boot Manager (as EFI USB device) and then simply fail to boot when you attempted to do so.

I don't know which USB/SSD adapter you're using, but I had more than one problematic mSATA/USB adapter, though it was problematic on more than just ChromeOS devices. Is the drive recognized when plugged in after booting from the internal ssd?

Yeah it is. As a matter of fact, Boot Manager in the EFI sees it, if I go to manually add a Boot option.
(2016-11-23, 05:46)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2016-11-22, 21:29)Boulder Wrote: Thanks Matt, will give those a go. I'm sure they will be helpful to others as well Smile

btw, just tested this here on my dev box and it's all good:
  • install Windows (best to delete all partitions, install to unpartitioned space)
  • boot Linux live USB
  • using gparted, resize Windows data partition down, create new partitions for LE (512MB, whatever for Storage), set partition labels to 'LibreELEC' and 'Storage'
  • download LE .tar update file, extract KERNEL and SYSTEM files to root of LibreELEC partition
  • create/add a file called refind_linux.conf in root of LibreELEC partition with the following content:
    Code:
    "LibreELEC" "boot=LABEL=LibreELEC disk=LABEL=Storage quiet tty ssh"
  • download/run the install-refind script froma terminal via:
    Code:
    curl -sLO https://mrchromebox.tech/install-refind.sh && sudo bash install-refind.sh
  • (opt) change icon for os_libreelec.png (in /EFI/BOOT/icons on EFS partition) to preference (I copied/renamed os_kodi.png since the icon is more distinct)
reboot and you'll be GTG

edit: update formatting, consolidate content from previous post

Hi Matt, thanks for your effort

I tried to follow these steps to dual boot
But it seems that the script install-refind.sh is deleted from your website & no longer available
https://mrchromebox.tech/install-refind.sh

Can you direct me how to proceed ?

Thanks
(2017-05-22, 01:04)shamel Wrote: Hi Matt, thanks for your effort

But it seems that the script install-refind.sh is deleted from your website & no longer available

Thanks

that refind-install script seems to have been moved/removed, I'll have to see what happened to it
Hi Matt,
I am also dealing with similar issue as Shamel. Can you please help us with Refind script?

Regards,

Thanks

(2017-05-29, 22:53)S.Singh Wrote: Hi Matt,
I am also dealing with similar issue as Shamel. Can you please help us with Refind script?

Regards,

I couldn't find the old script so had to write a new one. Go ahead and try it and LMK how it goes
Thanks Matt, you are the bestBlush (&super genius too).
I will try this new script tonight and let you know. Thanks a ton!!
(2017-05-30, 08:38)Matt Devo Wrote:

Thanks

(2017-05-29, 22:53)S.Singh Wrote: Hi Matt,

Regards,

I couldn't find the old script so had to write a new one. Go ahead and try it and LMK how it goes

Hi Matt,
I tried your script last night...as usual it worked like a charm..Thanks Man Smile just a curious question : I was able to install refind script from Rod's website before but couldn't make Refind as my default boot loader; what command did you use? It was so painful to go pick manually every time boot from file & select refind boot loader until you saved me from this trouble.

Thank you!Angel
  • 56(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows on Asus/HP/Acer/Dell Chromebox4