• 6(current)
Why not WMC as backend?
Fibo, Spyder, Royfa. This is basically what I am doing:

The first time you set up wmc, it started two services that always run in the background (ehRecvr and ehSched). These services run whether wmc is running or not. They handle the maintaining of the epg database (automatic downloads) and the scheduling of programs to record, and the actual recording of those programs. When wmc is running, it makes requests of these services, for instance to display guide data or start a recording.
My software makes the same requests but is controlled by xbmc. So really I am just using the same services to manage the pvr that wmc is using, no duplication here.

Live TV is different. Doing video programming was new to me a couple of months ago, so I took a look at a number of ways to do it. In particular I spent a long time trying to figure out if I could find some high level interface exposed in the wmc libraries to control live tv, I gave up on this. But through this I learned that wmc makes use of a special set of directshow filters in windows called the “stream buffer engine” (SBE), which MS makes available and it is actually documented (woo hoo!). So my software also makes use of the SBE to do live-tv (actually at a slightly higher level to get hardware independence).

The difference is that wmc uses the output of the sbe directly to drive vid onto the screen (specifically it is uses the sbe filter graph to directly drive the video renderer it uses). I can’t do that for xbmc, so rather I stream the output of the SBE to a file, and use this file to stream to xbmc. As near as I can tell, this is basically the approach of some of the other pvr solutions for xbmc (but I could be be wrong on this). This approach is part of the reason why channel changing is slow, but it also enables other computer’s running xbmc on the lan to watch live tv from the server. Changing channels with sbe itself is fast and easy.

It would be great if xbmc could display and control the sbe graph directly, but I didn't try to find out if this is possible. So you other coders/video experts out there who want to help might want to look into this (or tell me it’s (im)possible). This would solve the channel switching speed, making it the same speed as wmc theoretically - but only for the server computer (the one with the tuners).

My software partitioning is basically the same as the other pvr solutions for xbmc that I have looked at, it is divided into two parts. A server program that runs on the host machine that handles the interface to the wmc services and starts/stops the live streams. This program should always be running, just waiting for xbmc to connect. And an addon in xbmc that interfaces to this server. The addon feeds the data it receives to the GUI in xbmc. I also takes the XBMC commands (recording, livetv, etc) and sends them to the server.

Questions, corrections and criticisms welcome.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc
Hey krustyreturns, I'm a WMC user but I lurk these forums quite a bit (I signed up just to post this). I just wanted to say that being WMC has become stagnant development wise, your plugin has me very interested Big Grin
(2013-02-09, 16:28)staknhalo Wrote: Hey krustyreturns, I'm a WMC user but I lurk these forums quite a bit (I signed up just to post this). I just wanted to say that being WMC has become stagnant development wise, your plugin has me very interested Big Grin

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the interest.
I have been a Media Center user for 8 years and I found this via thegreenbutton.tv

This project has made me REALLY excited as I've been looking into other options for distributing live and recorded TV throughout the house. This would be fantastic if I could do this on a Raspberry Pi.
This is great news. I hope you can get it working.
HDHomeRun Prime + WHS = distributed live and recorded TV throughout the house. I actually have an InfiniTV in my main HTPC as the primary recorder and the HDHomeRun providing dynamic tuners to the rest of the PCs.
Right now, do you guys have a solution to import WMC recordings in XBMC and conserve metadata? I don't mind about live TV right now, I'm currently just watching recorded shows. That will be awsome to watch them directly in XBMC (with the option to delete them after).
(2013-02-10, 16:49)royfra Wrote: Right now, do you guys have a solution to import WMC recordings in XBMC and conserve metadata? I don't mind about live TV right now, I'm currently just watching recorded shows. That will be awsome to watch them directly in XBMC (with the option to delete them after).

I looked at this when I first started playing with xbmc. Xbmc has great scrapping capabilities to get metadata, but the naming convention used by wmc for recorded files throws it off. Also xbmc ignores the metadata that are in the tags of the wtv files. The solution people use for this are batch-mode wtv renamer programs that give the wtv files scrapable names. I think there is a post about one of them earlier in this thread, but google wtv renamer and you will find more.
(2013-02-11, 05:11)krustyreturns Wrote:
(2013-02-10, 16:49)royfra Wrote: Right now, do you guys have a solution to import WMC recordings in XBMC and conserve metadata? I don't mind about live TV right now, I'm currently just watching recorded shows. That will be awsome to watch them directly in XBMC (with the option to delete them after).

I looked at this when I first started playing with xbmc. Xbmc has great scrapping capabilities to get metadata, but the naming convention used by wmc for recorded files throws it off. Also xbmc ignores the metadata that are in the tags of the wtv files. The solution people use for this are batch-mode wtv renamer programs that give the wtv files scrapable names. I think there is a post about one of them earlier in this thread, but google wtv renamer and you will find more.

Yes, WTV-Renamer is great. You can get the instructions & the script here:

http://wtvmetarenamer.codeplex.com/
thanks guys I will give this script a try.

WTVRenamer like was mentioned above is good, but a bit tricky since you have to get into Powershell. MCEBuddy (http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/) seems like a more robust solution. It might be more power-hungry too. I'm waiting to implement MCEBuddy until the next iteration with naming-only. I don't need transcoding since XBMC plays TS files now, and I don't store my recordings.

krusty,

Have you considered a poll to see what features people would be most interested in? Obviously, as the programmer, your most important feature is what matters the most, but it might help narrow focus to work on certain parts at a time.

It sounds like a lot of people are interested in LiveTV. I'm on the opposite end. I only care about setting up and viewing my recordings directly in the XBMC EPG for the time being. I DVR much more than time-shift Live TV.
(2013-02-12, 01:14)jrichards52081 Wrote: WTVRenamer like was mentioned above is good, but a bit tricky since you have to get into Powershell. MCEBuddy (http://mcebuddy2x.codeplex.com/) seems like a more robust solution. It might be more power-hungry too. I'm waiting to implement MCEBuddy until the next iteration with naming-only. I don't need transcoding since XBMC plays TS files now, and I don't store my recordings.

krusty,

Have you considered a poll to see what features people would be most interested in? Obviously, as the programmer, your most important feature is what matters the most, but it might help narrow focus to work on certain parts at a time.

It sounds like a lot of people are interested in LiveTV. I'm on the opposite end. I only care about setting up and viewing my recordings directly in the XBMC EPG for the time being. I DVR much more than time-shift Live TV.

One point about this "renaming" stuff with wtv files is that it won't be an issue with this pvr software, since the recordings will have the metadata sent directly from wmc's epg.

A poll would be interesting, but it wouldn't influence what I do too much at this stage. I know what I want to finish before I let some brave souls test it and when the time comes I'll need both types of users.

I have another question:
frodo does not support letting the user decide whether to record a "series" or a single episode. To me this is a big problem, when we use wmc to make a recording we always select series, not episode. I don't know what the other xbmc pvr's do about this. My thought is to make the default setting be to record the series (if the show is a series) rather than a single episode. I could maybe make this settable in the addon prefs. Any thoughts?
Never mind about the tv series thing, it looks like it can be handled with a dialog.

To jrichard's larger point, it would be interesting to hear what features people are interested in.
(2013-02-12, 04:09)krustyreturns Wrote: Never mind about the tv series thing, it looks like it can be handled with a dialog.

To jrichard's larger point, it would be interesting to hear what features people are interested in.

the two main ones for me are:
1. Live TV
2. Ability to schedule a recording (Series as a P1, individual as P2)

Nice to have:
1. Ability to define how many minutes I want to start to record before the guide data (and how many minutes after the scheduled time I want to record as well) - useful for sports, for example
2. ability to delete series
3. search the guide, schedule recordings from the search result
Ditto:

Live TV & schedule a recording.

Plus would be great to be able to do like you can with extenders in Media Center: Press stop on a recording, walk to another room and pick up where you left off by pressing resume.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Why not WMC as backend?11